The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Having another young Horvat ( drafted in the next 2 yrs ) going forward would also be a good thing......

Podkolzin is a winger version of Horvat basically. Depending on how things play out, we will have a 1st still in one of the next 2 drafts to continue to add to one of the best prospect pools this team has ever seen.

I should add that we have found a pretty good player in Gaudette in the 5th round, so it doesn't always have to be a 1st rounder that nabs us a legit player.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 3

Man it’s tough coming in here after a loss.. 

I thought Canucks played very good tonight, they had a slow start but they outplayed San Jose for at least half the game if not two thirds. Their puck movement was amazing, Hughes Pettersson Boeser and Miller had it on a string.

It stings that they lost but only a small percentage of people expected playoffs this year and that’s still a possibility. Most people expected Canucks to be a bottom 10 team again this year. 
Instead they’re a competitive team playing fast paced hockey and out playing a lot of teams that were projected to be better than them.

We have an amazing core here that the majority has only been in the NHL for 3 or less years with amazing prospects coming up including 4 in world juniors so give them time and watch this team become the power house a lot of us know it will be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Is Trotz the reason why, the Islanders are doing well or is it the players or both ?  

Trotz is one of the best if not the best coaches in the game. The players buy into his system, so it's a mutual respect that he has earned from his players. We would love to add Trotz, but he is not available.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Podkolzin is a winger version of Horvat basically. Depending on how things play out, we will have a 1st still in one of the next 2 drafts to continue to add to one of the best prospect pools this team has ever seen.

I should add that we have found a pretty good player in Gaudette in the 5th round, so it doesn't always have to be a 1st rounder that nabs us a legit player.

Do you think, Horvat is a shooter or passer ?

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Having another young Horvat ( drafted in the next 2 yrs ) going forward would also be a good thing......

We may already have a player of that ilk in our system in Podkolzin 

What he becomes remains to be seen, but he's got an engine that doesn't stop 

Really though, having our first this year as opposed to next year wouldn't be awful

Missing the playoffs would suck, but unfortunately I'm used to it at this point 

We're a young team who's got to learn to be ready to compete each game and during most periods, these poor starts and mediocre second periods are killing us this season 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Trotz is one of the best if not the best coaches in the game. The players buy into his system, so it's a mutual respect that he has earned from his players. We would love to add Trotz, but he is not available.

So has Green (good coach), earned this from his player or has lost it ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Man it’s tough coming in here after a loss.. 

I thought Canucks played very good tonight, they had a slow start but they outplayed San Jose for at least half the game if not two thirds. Their puck movement was amazing, Hughes Pettersson Boeser and Miller had it on a string.

It stings that they lost but only a small percentage of people expected playoffs this year and that’s still a possibility. Most people expected Canucks to be a bottom 10 team again this year. 
Instead they’re a competitive team playing fast paced hockey and out playing a lot of teams that were projected to be better than them.

We have an amazing core here that the majority has only been in the NHL for 3 or less years with amazing prospects coming up including 4 in world juniors so give them time and watch this team become the power house a lot of us know it will be.

I was expecting us to fight for a wildcard spot to the end of the year. On which side of the line we finish on, I'm not sure. We are certainly still there at this point. I think our hot start had really shifted the expectations of this team. We weren't going to become contenders overnight and we are going to lose some games. The best time for the team to get hot is during the playoff push anyway.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

So has Green (good coach), earned this from his player or has lost it ?

Well it appears both sides are still on the same page and no one is throwing either under the bus. I think the players trust Green and Green seems to have an open door to discuss any issues with players, but I'm not in that locker room, so I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think he likes to shoot more and drive the play.

That is also my impression of Bo cause Iam just wondering what has affected his drop off in offensive production whether it is linemate or deployment (due to being a beast in the faceoff and defensive side) or both.  Also, been wondering if the complementary linemate(s) is already in the: team or system or not yet; care to speculate ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well it appears both sides are still on the same page and no one is throwing either under the bus. I think the players trust Green and Green seems to have an open door to discuss any issues with players, but I'm not in that locker room, so I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Yeah we can only speculate...

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That is also my impression of Bo cause Iam just wondering what has affected his drop off in offensive production whether it is linemate or deployment (due to being a beast in the faceoff and defensive side) or both.  Also, been wondering if the complementary linemate(s) is already in the: team or system or not yet; care to speculate ?

Sutter and Beagle went down. He shifted from being in more of an offensive role to a more defensive one. During that time, he had a ton of minutes. He's probably trying to get to the Christmas break and hopefully the team is healthier when they come back.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure, if this is applicable to Green but Trotz did not have a winning season until his 6th season with the Preds.....

Tough seeing Boeser struggle like he has shooting wise, guy could have closer to 20 goals right now if a few of these shots go his way. Snake bitten in a big way. Was nice to see Bo get one. Wasn't technically even strength, but F it I'll take it. Team has been in win 1 lose 1 mode more or less. Which isn't bad but also not particularly helpful in the playoff hunt. Good effort tonight just didn't go our way. Shake it off go snag 2 points tomorrow.

Decided to take the Sharks lightly .... like most did on cdc pre game ...and it cost us the entire first period 

our powerplay is beyond pathetic with once again our strategy apparently being pass the puck until we lose it on a crap pass, go fetch it and repeat the process all over 

EP simply refuses to shoot the puck and it’s costing us. If he rips it and it’s blocked who cares? It’s one defenceman limping and out of the play 

we are not playing well lately and it’s not every night our goalie can shoutout the other team to allow us to win 

this team needs a change 

fire Green