The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I had to play hockey last night and couldn't watch the game so I tried a little experiment instead: I read the PGT when I got home from my game, slept on what the general CDC narrative seemed to be and then watched a replay of the game this morning. My conclusion? I don't think I should get my Canucks reports from game threads haha.

Let's start with the first one- according to CDC, Virtanen on the first line was a tire fire and the only reason the Canucks pulled themselves back into the game was because TG pulled his head out of his butt and put the old lines back together. The reality- Jake played a total of 3-4 shifts only on the line and he didn't make a single mistake. Why do you think Travis put him there? He put him there because lately when Brock is on that line they have been spending entire 5V5 shifts getting physically dominated in their own zone (partially because of Petey's lack of strength but also because of Brock's lack of speed). When Jake is on that line the ice tilts the other way because opposing d-men wont pressure as hard when they know a big guy who can skate as well as Jake is on the ice, and the more time Petey and J.T. spend in the o-zone the better. Was it a really a success to put the old lines back together? For the rest of the game, the "lotto line" was a minus 5 without Jake while Gaudette's line (with Jake) became the best line on the ice hands down. 

The second takeaway I got from the GDT and PGT was that the Canucks played uninspired sluggish hockey in the first half of the game, but the reality was nothing of the sort. The Sharks came out hard last night (understandably so after a coach firing), they didn't allow the Canucks time on the puck in any zone, they were getting all the bounces and they were taking advantage of home-ice line mismatches. Frankly, the Canucks looked up for the challenge but the Sharks were just, well, better. If you want to lay blame anywhere, lay it on the powerplay because the back to back delay of game PP's we got in the first were completely squandered. Note to Newell Brown- tell the boys to move the puck more quickly if you don't want to get pressured out of the zone. This habit of holding onto the puck so long that the PK'ers get sticks in the lane and force guys to try to sauce pucks that bounce out of the zone is getting tired af.

Anyways, sorry for rambling on, I don't usually get this long-winded but that was my read on the tilt. Oh, and one last thing- a pro tip for all NHL defencemen. If you see Tanner Pearson coming down the ice on a 2 on 1 (or any other time), don't play the pass. 

Thank you  

Too many people here look at the game and have a narrative made up in their mind of what they want to see already, and then parrot it in the GDT/PGT.  

I thought that Jake added a great dimension to that first line, he bumped some Sharks off the puck and Elias actually had two shifts where he had the puck on his stick, in the offensive zone.  Elias' line went for games without seeing that 5 on 5.  
Once the lines were put back on, both Jake and Brock had strong 2nd and 3rd periods.  

Sharks a damn good team and I don't think that anyone in the NHL would want to face them in a 7 game series.  If they turn it around, which I think they will, they'll be right up there with St Louis, Dallas and Vegas as the favourites to come out of the West.  (Editor's note:  if they can get decent goaltending.)

Something that I haven't seen mentioned too much btw:  Oscar Fantenberg has been our 3rd best d-man over the last two games.  He's throwing hits, big guy that can skate and he's making very nice breakout passes.  When he gets the puck at the blue line, he more often then not makes the right play.  I love seeing him shoot because he gets the puck through to the net almost every time.  I've also seen him do a shoot-pass for our forwards to try and tip.  I hope that we find a spot for him in the lineup even when Edler comes back.  I would love to see him rotated in every second game and some of the older guys (Edler and Tanev) given a game off on back to back nights. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

13 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

We are NOT going to win anything with this coaching staff they really need to go. Can some please explain to me why we are playing dump and chance with 15 seconds to go down by one? We need a coach that actually has a system and that will get the boys to put in full effort from the drop of the puck in 1st. This game makes it look like green has lost the room

A lot of discontent with coaching,  many posters wanting change. If Fire Green is the solution,

I'm genuinely interested in who should be hired to replace TG if he was fired tomorrow?

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

A TYPICAL fan realistically, wants there team to win and improve.   I understand your point of view is to preach patience with sarcasm.  Been a long time fan and still hoping for a playoff berth this year.... GCG !

And the team has been improving year after year, yet these fans want to fire the coach, question the decisions the GM makes, and think we need a shakeup in the lineup already. This all sounds like too much EA sports and not a realistic transition model. People praise the Avs, but it has taken them longer to get to where they are. They've made some good moves and players have taken another level. We are making good moves (Miller trade), waiting on the young guys to possibly find another level (took MacKinnon 5 years to get his level now, which people here wouldn't have had the patience for), and we are drafting well to hopefully soon fill in veteran spots now to help with our cap issue to give us more wiggle room. 

I use sarcasm because I find the reactions on this board after every loss (and even after wins) to be short sighted and impatient. Everything that has been preached by the actual team has been about patience and development and they are doing just that.

I still am hoping for a playoff berth this year and even if it's the last wild card spot, that's fine. I'm also of the mind that if we don't make it but gave it a valiant effort until the end, then that's fine too. This is right where I would expect them to be this year.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

And the team has been improving year after year, yet these fans want to fire the coach, question the decisions the GM makes, and think we need a shakeup in the lineup already. This all sounds like too much EA sports and not a realistic transition model. People praise the Avs, but it has taken them longer to get to where they are. They've made some good moves and players have taken another level. We are making good moves (Miller trade), waiting on the young guys to possibly find another level (took MacKinnon 5 years to get his level now, which people here wouldn't have had the patience for), and we are drafting well to hopefully soon fill in veteran spots now to help with our cap issue to give us more wiggle room. 

I use sarcasm because I find the reactions on this board after every loss (and even after wins) to be short sighted and impatient. Everything that has been preached by the actual team has been about patience and development and they are doing just that.

I still am hoping for a playoff berth this year and even if it's the last wild card spot, that's fine. I'm also of the mind that if we don't make it but gave it a valiant effort until the end, then that's fine too. This is right where I would expect them to be this year.

It is a discussion board and most of it is emotional rather than not.  You bring up alot of good points but the condensing tone is a big turn off.  If everyone agreed then what would be the point of talking about our favorite team because it is often, the emotional and irrational statements that gets the board going.   I really enjoy the ebbs and flow of the board but the vitriol of some to stop the discussion just to prove a point is very counterintuitive to this being a discussion board; some sarcasm is good - if it is funny at the same time (preferably).  My point is, we can have a healthy discussion with everyone or just with a few that agrees...  Have a good day and GCG !!!

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Jake leads the team in 5 on 5 scoring...WOW!!! Yet he never gets a fair shake in the top 6.... Our team had such a hot stretch scoring on the PP it has inflated some stats and made us look better or some players look better statistically then they really are. 

As a big JV supporter I haven't been impressed by his play the last couple of games. He's played so passive most of the time and made some really bad passes into the middle. 

5 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Benning is the where the buck stops, how many more peons will he fire before he goes?

Benning is responsible for personel. He's brought us Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, and Hughes. If Green and his staff can't figure out a way to win consistently with that core that's on Green. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve always cringed when teams played their top 6 forwards or stars on the PK, only to send them out for regular duty and even the PP.

To balance out the roster, why not give AG the 2C minutes... ya, ya, his FO% sucks, but he’ll learn during the rebuild, and let Horvat continue to be deployed exactly where he is needed, on the defensive side of the puck as he offsets the oft-injured Sutter and Beagle. 

I might be optimistic with AG, but I still think the offensive side of the top 6 is a toss up between those two centres right now, but there is a definitely a defensive standout among the two. Play to their strengths and to build effective, balanced lines. 

As an aside here, I still want to see both Lowry and Edmundson traded here. 

Naw dude I agree about AG he is constantly surprising and this is the year to give the kids the learning minutes - can't be a rookie forever

• Upvote 1

SJ wanted it more. They were faster, quick on pucks. Big missed opportunity with EDM and CGY losing, and playing a struggling divisional rival (SJ). It kind of bugs me that they're still criticizing Jake for his play. He scored a beauty in this game, and for a moment, had as many goals as Captain Bo. I wish Green and the media etc. would leave this kid alone and just let him play. Fantenberg looks like the real deal.    

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Petey40 said:

I don’t know if this is sarcasm or not but he had 2 assists in 6GP so he’s definitely  not going to fix scoring 

Ya, but Gauds scored and played great with him then went into a slump for several games after they seperated .  He never got to play with Pete where I think his talents would shine.  2 assists in 6 games.  Lots of other players didn't do that.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It is a discussion board and most of it is emotional rather than not.  You bring up alot of good points but the condensing tone is a big turn off.  If everyone agreed then what would be the point of talking about our favorite team because it is often, the emotional and irrational statements that gets the board going.   I really enjoy the ebbs and flow of the board but the vitriol of some to stop the discussion just to prove a point is very counterintuitive to this being a discussion board; some sarcasm is good - if it is funny at the same time.  My point is, we can have a healthy discussion with everyone or just with a few that agrees...  Have a good day and GCG !!!

Am I telling anyone to stop talking? I'm responding to the comments on the board that I feel need to be responded to because their comments don't seem to indicate they are aware of the grand scheme of things. I have no called anyone names or been overly aggressive with my points (there are certainly far worse posters in this sense IMO). You don't have to agree with me, then have a discussion to counter my points and I will respond accordingly.

I personally am glad the Canucks don't seem to react as emotionally as these boards because they seem to have bought into the grand scheme of things and are trusting the process which I'm choosing follow as well.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Am I telling anyone to stop talking? I'm responding to the comments on the board that I feel need to be responded to because their comments don't seem to indicate they are aware of the grand scheme of things. I have no called anyone names or been overly aggressive with my points (there are certainly far worse posters in this sense IMO). You don't have to agree with me, then have a discussion to counter my points and I will respond accordingly.

Never said you stopped or called any one names but the tone of your responses are condescending - from my point of view.  But, go ahead and continue in your merry way.

charlie day ok GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I said last season that Green was outplayed by other coaches. One particulary game was the Sharks when they humiliated DiPietro. 

EK said afterwards they let the Canucks come forward and beat us on breakaways. Their strategy nailed Green to the wall. Directly when he saw what they did he should have said to the players to play more careful. 

Sharks with EK can lay back and let our players huff and puff... 

Last season when Petey started to get frustrated Green should have let up his strategy. It's soon a whole year with a frustrated Petey. 

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This team is soooo disappointing. 

In October I thought the team took a step forward.

In December it looks like the same ole failure team.  I wonder when/if they will actually get better.

Be careful you don't roll your ankles jumping off the bandwagon bro

*confusedface.jpg*

• Wat 1

37 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Never said you stopped or called any one names but the tone of your responses are condescending - from my point of view.  But, go ahead and continue in your merry way.

charlie day ok GIF

And the people I have responded to have been condescending towards the professional in the business including trying to get them fired and such. But I guess a little sarcasm is too much.

sorry forgive me GIF

43 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I said last season that Green was outplayed by other coaches. One particulary game was the Sharks when they humiliated DiPietro. 

EK said afterwards they let the Canucks come forward and beat us on breakaways. Their strategy nailed Green to the wall. Directly when he saw what they did he should have said to the players to play more careful. 

Sharks with EK can lay back and let our players huff and puff... 

Last season when Petey started to get frustrated Green should have let up his strategy. It's soon a whole year with a frustrated Petey. 

Green has surely been outcoached some games and he has outcoached teams on other games. It's no surprise that he's going to get outmatched in some games considering he too is a relatively new coach to the NHL. He won't have his leash forever, but I also don't see anything concerning to let him go at this point. The team has been growing as well as Green as a coach.

I'm sure if Petey is frustrated with the coaching staff and has said something that management would do something to appease the star player. I suppose that 34 points in 33 games is him taking out his frustration of the coaching staff on the other team.

• Cheers 1