The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Habs @ Canucks Dec. 17 7:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've noticed Bo hasn't tried to carry this team on his back since receiving the C. In fact, he looks less noticeable out there. He's getting a point ghere and there, so he is chiopping in, but I wish he would do more as far as rallying his team and leading them into war. It looks like Roussel that does that more than anyone.   

What the team lacks is a top six player with Roussel abilities, like Domi does or MT in Calgary, the list goes on.

The Canucks have the drink but lack straw to stir it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Yep

He's stronger defensively on the right side. You spend most of the game without the puck. If he can get on a break out on to the LW where he is a stronger shooter, then that's on Jake and his line to get that to work.

And no, not every goal has come from the left. Maybe his last couple, but certainly not every goal this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“To be honest, I hate that. There’s too much red jerseys here. It pisses me off the way they come in our building, and feel like it’s their home. It’s our home. Get the hell outta here.” - Roussel on the atmosphere in the building when the Canadiens come to town 

This is how it’s been for like half the home games. 

Rogers Arena is an open house for other teams fans.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I think we caught teams off guard to start the year, hence Doughty's comments. Teams simply have caught on. We were always suppose to be a bubble wildcard team (at least IMO). Had Ferland worked out, we may be slightly further ahead. I think the forward group is decent, but the defense could use a boost. I think some of the defense isn't playing fully healthy as we have seen in many games that a dman would be out for a game, then back the next. We have lost some of the support from the defense to support the forwards which is forcing some of the passes to not be crisp. We need Edler back (unfortunately no replacement for him yet) and maybe an addition like Tryamkin could help out in this area. 

I don't buy that. We are playing differently now then the beginning of the season. The intensity is not there and we are back to the days when we thought we were "too talented to play a full 60 minutes". We are not finishing checks and we are playing "tentative" and "reactive". We were breaking out of our zone with authority and one or two passes and we were back on the attack. Now we are trying to dump it out to relieve the pressure and change lines. We get manhandled off the puck in the O zone and then we are back in our own zone again. Like others have said, we have become far too predictable.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was watching the TOR at EDM game and the stands had a lot of blue Leafs jerseys as well. Unfortunately, like the Sedin-led teams of eyars past, the fans are very nice. No one cheers too loudly, all haters are welcome, no one barks at the refs or opponents. We sit nice and accept the Go Leafs Go chants. I remember growing up, anyone bold (or stupid) enough to wear the oppositions' jersey got an earful. Those were the days.   

Vancouver used to be a tougher city. Due to the gentrification in the last 30 years, it’s become hipster central. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't buy that. We are playing differently now then the beginning of the season. The intensity is not there and we are back to the days when we thought we were "too talented to play a full 60 minutes". We are not finishing checks and we are playing "tentative" and "reactive". We were breaking out of our zone with authority and one or two passes and we were back on the attack. Now we are trying to dump it out to relieve the pressure and change lines. We get manhandled off the puck in the O zone and then we are back in our own zone again. Like others have said, we have become far too predictable.

I recall vividly, the hard crisp passing at the start of the season. They made it look easy to possess the puck, and make plays, lot of time in the O zone. They could almost score at will. I'm not sure other teams have "caught on" so much as the Canucks stopped playing the way they were to start the season. There is a lot more dumping and chasing, lazy plays, hate that. It's like "Here's the puck! Now, I'm going to chase you!" lol  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I recall vividly, the hard crisp passing at the start of the season. They made it look easy to possess the puck, and make plays, lot of time in the O zone. They could almost score at will. I'm not sure other teams have "caught on" so much as the Canucks stopped playing the way they were to start the season. There is a lot more dumping and chasing, lazy plays, hate that. It's like "Here's the puck! Now, I'm going to chase you!" lol  

It actually reminds me of the Torts era where the team basically stopped playing for the coach. Not sure this going on but the effort has certainly diminished since the beginning of the season.

Edited by EdgarM

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It actually reminds me of the Torts era where the team basically stopped playing for the coach. Not sure this going on but the effort has certainly diminished since the beginning of the season.

Interesting observation. Could some of the players be tuning Green out? I know they like to use injuries as an excuse, but lots of teams have injuries. Look at PIT missing Crosby. Now that's a big loss, but the Pens still remain competitive (tied with CAR in their division). IMO, they are not getting enough from Horvat, Boeser, Stecher and Myers.