The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Habs @ Canucks Dec. 17 7:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green is looking a little flustered. Kuzma is making a good point about the will. The team doesn’t have the will right now, and he can’t admit it. 

I think this 7-2 loss looked good from my standpoint. I think we played a great game just had a few bad bounces. Now if you'll excuse me, Im going to buy the whole team some pizza and pop so they don't have their feelings hurt too bad. The number one job I have as coach is to nurture my players feelings, unless your name is Jake Virtanen. -Travis Green.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I recall vividly, the hard crisp passing at the start of the season. They made it look easy to possess the puck, and make plays, lot of time in the O zone. They could almost score at will. I'm not sure other teams have "caught on" so much as the Canucks stopped playing the way they were to start the season. There is a lot more dumping and chasing, lazy plays, hate that. It's like "Here's the puck! Now, I'm going to chase you!" lol  

I think Van came out of a pretty good pre-season and it carried into October. They also had a lot of puck luck early on, everything was bouncing their way. Top that with a crazy fan base that was going wild. It rubs off on the players. A few losses and a little less confident when even though they play well they don't get the wins. Not worried. I don't think the players are dogging it or that they have tuned Green out. The core is young and the vets have to keep them grounded.  

56 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Meh, who knows with this team at this stage....my prediction is that if they give up the first goal they will lose....and they have given up a lot of goals of late....collectively the team D has hit a slump and the goaltending well they are human afterall....don't have a good feeling about this one.....the Nucks seem to have hit a wall could be on the edge of a long slump....

Insightful.

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

ELjTkwIW4AE5vyZ.png:large

Hate to burst your bubble, but ours is the biggest bubble of them all....  Matters.

I don't think  "injuries" is the biggest issue as it has been in past years. Lack of "60 minute effort" and "finishing checks"...is.

• Upvote 2

Our top two lines are perfect for today’s game.  

I love seeing Virtanen with Elias and JT because he has speed and size to bump guys off pucks and make room for Elias 

Brock has looked energized in the last two games and I think a fresh look with Bo and Roussel could be just what the doctor ordered!  

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think  "injuries" is the biggest issue as it has been in past years. Lack of "60 minute effort" and "finishing checks"...is.

They look tired to me. 

The youngs guys aren't quite acclimatized to the grind...Petey admitted it last year.  Yes, it's only December but they're learning.  If the fans don't know how to pace themselves not sure the players should be expected to.

Bo might have something to say about this as he's had to play zillions of minutes for the past year or two.

Ferland's a huge black hole...when he's in, we have physicality that gives us extra confidence.

Now Demko.

It's an issue...if not "the" issue.

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but ours is the biggest bubble of them all....  Matters.

The Canucks Man Games Lost # is mainly due to Fantenberg and Motte a 6-7 d-man and 4th liner. A bit skewed, when for example Colorado, PIt and Wpg have as many or more man games lost than the Canucks and to more significant players.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

The Canucks Man Games Lost # is mainly due to Fantenberg and Motte a 6-7 d-man and 4th liner. A bit skewed, when for example Colorado, PIt and Wpg have as many or more man games lost than the Canuck and to more significant players.

Edler Roussel and Ferland say hi. Beagle and Sutter too. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, tas said:

comparing hall of fame defencemen to a 24 year old 2nd line centre seems logical ...

And treating a 24 year old  pro sports athlete like his employer is over working him is any better? Come on man these guys are pro's who are getting millions to play a GAME that they love its not like he is working in the coal mines 18 hours a day. I guess you didn't like my examples but it shouldn't matter one way or another they are all professional hockey players who play top minutes.

Edited by EdgarM

12 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The Canucks Man Games Lost # is mainly due to Fantenberg and Motte a 6-7 d-man and 4th liner. A bit skewed, when for example Colorado, PIt and Wpg have as many or more man games lost than the Canucks and to more significant players.

So we weren't missing Sutter (13 games), Ferland (17), Eddie (7?), Beagle (?) etc.?  Hmm, guess I was dreaming.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

We're 8th on the injury list this year and really haven't lost any top 6 guys (Ferland I consider a middle 6), but did lose our depth at center which in the same respect impacted our top 6 quite a bit with Bo being our only shutdown center. 

However, fingers crossed as we've been in the top 3 for the last 3 years with less depth in those years, so way better off now.

Only Edler is significant so shouldn't be using that as an excuse.

6 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The Canucks have just over 100 MG lost, nearly 60 between Fantenberg and Motte...math says hi.

Roussel has 28 and Ferland 20... both middle 6 players who are important to the team. Sutter and Beagle also got injured for multiple games at the same time. Our injury woes are in clear correlation with our recent bad play. Teams like Pittsburgh and Colorado get away with it because when they don’t have Crosby, Landeskog and Rantanen, they have MacKinnon and Malkin. We’re not in the same boat. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

And treating a 24 year old  pro sports athlete like his employer is over working him is any better? Come on man these guys are pro's who are getting millions to play a GAME that they love its not like he is working in the coal mines 18 hours a day. I guess you didn't like my examples but it shouldn't matter one way or another they are all professional hockey players who play top minutes.

my issue isn't with the employer overworking him, it's with the clueless fans expecting the same level of offensive output. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He was saying the MAJORITY of games lost were from 6-7 dmen and 4th liners Deb.

Ferland's missed half the games so far.  That's significant for me when you think of why he was brought in and how it changes the dynamics on the team.  You just have to look at the last game he played to see that.

And how fatigued Bo must be at times...he, too, is someone we rely heavily on and, again, it changes things.

Not excuses...don't really need any.  We're right about where we should be if we look at this realistically.

I wish the rest of the team plays with the same hate for the opposition and their fans that Roussel has lol. 

in the SJ game, Roussel was in a scrum and Boeser was smiling and chatting it up with Couture. little things like that annoys me. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The table appears to be weekly, the month of November is quite different. I am not sure how to get the image but this is just 10 days earlier and much different.

https://images.app.goo.gl/wRaF2Day9BFkFbnj7

image.png.00748713c0a256c2e9a7e909a9e3e79c.png

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy