The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver-Arizona blockbuster

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Since Arizona is seeming to make a push for the playoffs this year, I think we are in a prime leverage position to make them an offer they can't refuse. We would obviously have to make a couple trades/roster moves to accomodate this trade under the salary cap, but I think that both teams benefit fairly from this deal.

To Arizona:

Demko

Pettersson

And there's where I stopped reading.  

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Since Arizona is seeming to make a push for the playoffs this year, I think we are in a prime leverage position to make them an offer they can't refuse. We would obviously have to make a couple trades/roster moves to accomodate this trade under the salary cap, but I think that both teams benefit fairly from this deal.

To Arizona:

Demko

Pettersson

Edler

Eriksson

Conditional 1st 2020 (if the pick is 1st overall, Vancouver instead gives their 2021 2nd through 7th round picks)

To Vancouver:

Kessel

Hall

Keller

Soderberg or Ekman-Larsson

5th, 6th and 7th round picks in 2020 and 2021

Why Arizona benefits from this deal:

Arizona is leading the Pacific division, and they would be in great shape to maintain that lead with the addition of a great player at each position. Pettersson would immediately slot into their top 6, Demko could probably lock down a starting role soon upon his arrival in the desert, Edler is a veteran presence on the back-end, and we sweeten the deal by throwing in a very tempting 1st round pick. Plus, Eriksson could fit in well in the top 6 with Pettersson if Loui manages to get back on his game and return to form.

Why Vancouver benefits from this deal:

We add two very skilled and young top 6 forwards in Hall and Kessel (bonus benefit: hot dog sales go up 200% at the arena) - both of which are proven playoff performers and have 2 Stanley cups between them. We acquire a premium young player in Keller that is somewhat comparable to the skill we are losing in moving Pettersson, and a great defenseman to replace Edler in either Soderberg or Ekman-Larsson. Also, we move out Eriksson's contract which clears up some cap space to sign Hall to an extension, and we pick up a boatload of low draft picks (let's remember, Zetterberg was drafted in the 7th round). And, by moving Demko, we can stop talking about which goalie we have to protect in the Seattle expansion draft.

This is a clear win-win for both teams, and for the league and the fans themselves. There aren't many blockbuster deals made like this anymore, and it would definitely get some buzz going for both teams going into their playoff races.

Can you imagine if Arizona and Vancouver met in the first or second round of the playoffs? All of the traded players would have a huge chip on their shoulder, looking to defeat their former team and prove to them that they shouldn't have been traded. It could be the beginning of the next big Western Conference rivalry, like Detroit/Colorado or Calgary/Edmonton.

Thoughts?

Simply too much drinking my friend