The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Silky mitts said:

Night and day , rookie brock looked like a phenom .

It's interesting how our star players....the guys that arrived NHL ready....seem to regress under our system. Brock looks like a shadow of his former self, Petey isn't the phenom we thought he was when he first arrived, and now even Hughes isn't looking as good. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Time to fire the guy who constructed this garbage team. Benning needs to be fired asap.

Green needs to go as well as the top young players are all regressing under him.

If Winnipeg thought that way, they would've fired the guys that eventually got them to the top of the heap in the West.  

No thank you, I'll keep Benning for a long time and I'll keep Green until the end of the season.  

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I hadn't noticed it was that bad, but I think you are right. Hughes was good, Jake was good (other than that penalty) Gaudette was good.  Pettersson fell down a lot -- tired?  But otherwise, EP and Boes had some moments.  Beagle, Sutter, Benn again, Tanev… Myers on the defensive side... not a good night for these guys. 

On the bright side: Baertschi and Eriksson's 10 million was resting nicely out of fire.   Is it coaching mainly or coaching and GM together? 

Not sure. I think it could be one or the other or combination of the two or entirely something else. 

I seriously do believe we can challenge for a playoff spot this year if everyone's playing to their capabilities. 

It's painful to be on the losing side of things so often lately. 

• Cheers 1

I personally think Francesco Aquilini is a great owner. He spends to the cap every year and supports the team and the fans with heart and soul.

I have no doubt that changes are coming.

He knows how we feel and he feels the same way I think. Guy is a fan at his core and wants a winner as much as the rest of us.

And he hates the TO and MTL fans having a laugh fest in our building. 

I expect he is going to make some bold moves that reflect the great ownership and fan base we have here.

And it is going to result in the Canucks having a huge turnaround and making the playoffs this year!

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The team on paper should be pretty decent. If Benning deserves to go, it's for holding onto Green and his coaching staff for too long.

You don't think it would be for the overpaid, garbage bottom six we have? Or our current cap situation being maxed out with our two best players still on their rookie deals? Or the fact that the team has to rely on a rookie, 20 yr old dman to play 25+ minutes a night because he has done jack to improve that area since he became GM? Holding onto Green is like #50 on the list of Benning's blunders.

The team needs coaches who can implement systems they can enjoy and maximize the young core's talent. I barely see any emotion on their faces anymore.  

They are tired of dump and chase because nobody's good at it except Miller. You dump the puck in and it only takes 2 seconds for the other team break out with the puck, slicing through our tofu-soft forechecking. And once they're in our zone they have all day cycling the puck because we just keep standing/sprawling around the net trying to block everything instead of pressuring the puck carrier.

There's got to be an NHL coach who knows how to get the best out of this roster. Green may know hard work and developing, but that's probably his ceiling at this point of his coaching career.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Can you think of a NHL GM that got to hire more NHL coaches than two?  Ignoring those GM that had team's which were fairly successful in the regular season and/or playoffs.  I can't.  Many don't get to hire two before they get canned if the results aren't forthcoming on the ice.

That’s  it s why he better move now