The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm giving the team the Christmas home stand before I decide if Green is dead to me. But the coaches are the ones that should go next, if nothing changes. 

Could you argue that its more Bennings fault than Greens? Definitely. Aquaman gambled on JB, and JB gambled on a last gasp chance, even borrowing from the future, now without a much needed future #1 on the gamble. We don't have a big enough stable or close enough to having all the pieces to be gambling like that. I was all in, but only because I had to be. 

But, even if Benning deserves to go,

Think about what would happen if Benning was fired.  The coaches would be gone as well.  Players would be moved. Some unpopular trades. And after the dust settles, it will be a whole new 5 year rebuild starting. I think we should give this current roster one more shot by first letting the coaches go first. Even this season isn't over yet.  Because that decision won't upset the whole apple cart, right away.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

That would be a mistake 

Green should not survive this 

Benning does not get 3 coaches. He should be fired, along with Green.

Benning's mediocre drafting doesn't offset his crappy pro-scouting, poor management of the farm team, player contracts (imagine Myers two years from now), and general intelligent foresight to plan ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 7
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Edler $6m

Eriksson $6m

Baerstxhi $3.5m

Ferland $4m

+ Spooner buyout and that's well over $20 of cap not in the lineup tonight, but yeah that's on Green right?  Just terrible roster management from the get-go and wtf happened to Linden?  Like I said before, I've had enough of Benning.  I bet Linden was the voice of reason.

The lineup on the ice is still talented enough to get it done. That's on Green?

Vegas Penguins Oilers next 3 games.. then Xmas break...

I don't see us winning any of those games..

Green won't last long.. he'll be gone after these 3 games coming up . They might not want to fire him a week before Xmas but his contract is guaranteed. He's signed thru next year.. it's not like he's losing his paycheck..

Id remove him tomorrow morning and bring in DeBoer...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

Benning does not get 3 coaches. He should be fired, along with Green.

Benning's mediocre drafting doesn't offset his crappy pro-scouting, poor management of the farm team, player contracts (imagine Myers two years from now), and general intelligent foresight to plan ahead. 

Totally agree, Green is work with 3/4 of a team thanks to poor roster management.  I cannot believe people are putting this on Green lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 4

32 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Is Beagle re-injured ? Only 7 mins. Tonight 

He was not very good at all tonight.  To Green's credit, he is starting to reward some of the better players with more ice time.  (Virtanen and Hughes, Miller as usual, Myers before his defensive errors and Gaudette.)   If this continues for him all year?  We could be talking buyout.  He's a more affordable buyout than Eriksson, who will probably be waived and then press-boxed in Utica.  Big changes are coming I'm guessing.  Sutter was too slow too. (More tradeable? Or buyout too?)  Canucks have a very hard time with teams that are fast or that cycle effectively.  Which is 2/3rds of the NHL now I think lol.  Gaudette now and Horvat for a year now have made these guys increasingly unnecessary, especially if Pettersson has Miller available to help with faceoffs. The veterans are failing this team.  With the exception of Markstrom and Miller and most of the time Tanev. 

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If everyone is playing to their potential, and playing to their strengths, this team should be pretty damn solid. 

The problem is that, under this 'dump & chase' system that Green employs, nobody can play to their potential. We're averaging 40+ dump & chase attempts a night, whereas other teams seem to only be attempting the dump & chase 10-15 times a night. From what I can tell, about 1 in 3 dump & chase attempts ends up being successful, whereas other methods of zone entry have better percentages. 

The other problem with this tactic is that the team has to do a lot of extra skating and forechecking when attempting a dump & chase, so it's no wonder the team looks tired all the time. You dump the puck in, have to relentlessly chase the puck in and forecheck, and 2/3 times you're just coughing up possession and now have to relentlessly skate back into your own end to try and catch up with the opposing team. 

It's piss-poor strategy. 

Do you know where i can find the dump&chase attempts averages by team? 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Vegas Penguins Oilers next 3 games.. then Xmas break...

I don't see us winning any of those games..

Green won't last long.. he'll be gone after these 3 games coming up . They might not want to fire him a week before Xmas but his contract is guaranteed. He's signed thru next year.. it's not like he's losing his paycheck..

Id remove him tomorrow morning and bring in DeBoer...

Do you think they should wait until the end of this homestand or fire him tomorrow?  I thought he was vulnerable to firing after the Vegas game, tbh, especially after losing those games when they had decent leads.