The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great article. Thanks, everyone who has their heads stuck in the mud should read this as it explains both arguments. Some great stuff from Trotz in there.

Read this.

When you’re the Boston bruins of 2011 or La 2012-2014 you can play dump and chase.

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Have you even bothered to look at our dump vs possession rate?

schaller, Pearson , beagle and Sutter are not fast and big enough to get possession Oh, come on now! they are all league average size

bo is in a major funk, would not he surprised if he has some injury. He is not winning any puck battles these last 5 games 

our results do not reflect your list at all 

dump in chase does not for our roster so frankly it’s no surprise it’s failing miserably 

green refuses to set line by line game plans that match our players strong points. EP’s line is being forced to dump in when there is no chance EP or Brock is going to knock a d man off the puck. That line should be uptempo 100 percent but Green continues to throttle them 

Look if they all can not dump and chase because they are too slow...……...they certainly will not be able to skate it in

That is what the dump and chase is all about....no fast turn arounds and odd man counter attacks

But don't get me wrong....I do not like Dump and Chase, I am simply saying why it is used

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Look if they all can not dump and chase because they are too slow...……...they certainly will not be able to skate it in

That is what the dump and chase is all about....no fast turn arounds and odd man counter attacks

But don't get me wrong....I do not like Dump and Chase, I am simply saying why it is used

Pretty sure I know why it’s used 

it’s used because we have zero uptempo entry plays 

so when we have no plan we dump and chase, just like your Timbits kids 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Exactly 

somebody who actually understands the game 

look, this is about not turning the puck over at the other teams blue line and having the other team score on the counter attack.....

and as the article says, more teams are using it, because when they compare the dump and chase to the skating it in, the plus/minus

shows the results are better when dumping and chasing

I don't like it myself......I am just saying why, and the article backs it up

42 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

look, this is about not turning the puck over at the other teams blue line and having the other team score on the counter attack.....

and as the article says, more teams are using it, because when they compare the dump and chase to the skating it in, the plus/minus

Sorry don’t mean to be rude 

I know what you are saying 

typically, big teams like the past Bruins and kings teams used it because they crushed the defenders and easily took possession. 

Dumps in and possessions gained are tracked. Our attempts are sky high and our possession ratio is pathetic. It does not work for us. So what does moron Green do, he sticks to it hope that miraculously the results will change 

pure insanity 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

typically, bid teams like the past Bruins and kings teams used it because they crushed the defenders and easily took possession. 

Dumps in and possessions gained are tracked. Our attempts are sky high and our possession ratio is pathetic. It dies not work for us. So what does moron Green do, he sticks to it hope that miraculously the results will change 

pure insanity 

Gotcha!

I have read a few articles now on the subject and some teams are doing both, depending on the players and what part of the game they are in, and if they are winning or loosing

I would like to see some of our players carry it in....Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen, Horvat and Hughes...maybe I miss someone there, but those guys back the defense in because of their speed, so we gain the zone easy....but others I want them getting that puck in  deep, and so does Green, because their analytics say they suck at carrying it in, and get scored on more often......

That is why I say a High Brid and do both...it also matters if the Dmen on the ice can handle 3 on 2's statistically, because the guys that turn it over are going to cause some.

But yes, not all players should be treated the same

PS.....you were not being rude...I am running on 4 hours sleep.....my apologies

I also like being challenged, and I think have this discussion is important, as a lot of CDC does not understand, the differences

Thanks for joining in!

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gotcha!

I have read a few articles now on the subject and some teams are doing both, depending on the players and what part of the game they are in, and if they are winning or loosing

I would like to see some of our players carry it in....Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen, Horvat and Hughes...maybe I miss someone there, but those guys back the defense in because of their speed, so we gain the zone easy....but others I want them getting that puck in  deep, and so does Green, because their analytics say they suck at carrying it in, and get scored on more often......

That is why I say a High Brid and do both...it also matters if the Dmen on the ice can handle 3 on 2's statistically, because the guys that turn it over are going to cause some.

But yes, not all players should be treated the same

PS.....you were not being rude...I am running on 4 hours sleep.....my apologies

I also like being challenged, and I think have this discussion is important, as a lot of CDC does not understand, the differences

Thanks for joining in!

Thanks man 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sure.

now convince season tickets holders to pay for dump and chase

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

50+ years of playing

12 years of coaching minor hockey and Rep

and trust me, I am a no body

But your list is way too short...…….Miller, Ferland, Virtanen, Horvat, Pearson, Schaller, Gaudette, Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson are a better list for size and speed

that could dump and chase...……..do you think this is something new?

In the Montreal game both Galigher and Domi, 2 very small guys, execute dump and chase, 

It is nothing new, and like I said, you should read it.

PS...……..I do not particularly think Pettersson needs to nor Hughes, but I do not want to see everyone do it...………...a hybrid is fine with me

Thanks for adding those guys to your the post you replied to - was thinking the same thing.  Saying we are not built for dump and chase is kind of foolish - given we are now the tallest team in the league (and it's not all Myers with two pip squeeks defenseman it more then evens out)...

To start the year EP and Boeser couldn't get anything going at all until Miller was added to their line - haven't forgotten that but maybe others have.   Now they have more tools to work with ... and agree that the team should work with a hybrid style - it would take the league off guard as they all have to book on us now, and could see it bearing fruit especially with QH ability to carry the puck and distribute.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Sure.

now convince season tickets holders to pay for dump and chase

I totally get your point

But if they statistically can't do it

then it will be dump and chase

or we lose more often then not

but I would also like to see more carry in's

but not everyone can pull it off

that is the problem

Personally, I think it will take some time

to figure which one can and can not

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

JB and TG must have convinced FA that he needed to extend the coaches contracts instead of seeing how the season played out

How and when is FA going to respond to extending these contracts and spending big money on expensive bottom liners or AHL'ers and getting the same results each year?

A lot of fans patience being tried, what about the man cutting the cheques?

Early it was to reinstate the unacknowledged coaching staff it was. Don’t knot understand it I do

2 minutes ago, Ryan Nugent Hopkins said:

Ahhh they’re ok lol 

I used to love the Oilers in the 80's growing up (Gretzky/Coffey) the same way other kids loved the Orr/Espo  Bruins teams or the Lafluer/Robinson teams - ... but I started hating them once Gretzky and Coffey were traded away.   Peter Pocklington....what a dick.   That said I needed to grow up sometime and Linden/McLean were pretty solid reasons to shut the door on the kids stuff.   Before that my favourite player was Bobby Clark.   Loved his hair and wanted to be him when I grew up.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

typically, big teams like the past Bruins and kings teams used it because they crushed the defenders and easily took possession. 

Dumps in and possessions gained are tracked. Our attempts are sky high and our possession ratio is pathetic. It does not work for us. So what does moron Green do, he sticks to it hope that miraculously the results will change 

pure insanity 

Is it though?  Do we even have the troops to try a better method?  EP and BB were getting owned before Miller was added to their line and they changed their approach....Bo Horvat - well 9/10 when he goes "full bull" and tries to skate it in on his own he gets by one and then keeps trying to go all the way and loses the puck.   Maybe if they worked on set plays it could work.   I'm not saying they shouldn't make some adjustments,  because they should, but also keep playing to our strengths too - which actually happens to be size and well strength.    This team IS built for dump and chase (snooze) for the most part.

Would be nice to see EP and Hughes given more freedom though...but will also have to be prepared for more odd man rushes coming back too.   Careful for what you wish for ... Bear and Goldobin in ..... Leivo and whom out?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I used to love the Oilers in the 80's growing up (Gretzky/Coffey) the same way other kids loved the Orr/Espo  Bruins teams or the Lafluer/Robinson teams - ... but I started hating them once Gretzky and Coffey were traded away.   Peter Pocklington....what a dick.   That said I needed to grow up sometime and Linden/McLean were pretty solid reasons to shut the door on the kids stuff.   Before that my favourite player was Bobby Clark.   Loved his hair and wanted to be him when I grew up.

Haha yeah his hair is awesome lol.  I always cheer for the Canucks when we play the oilers however I wanna have the oilers in the playoffs too because I wanna see McDavid in the playoffs lol he deserves a chance he’s been very patient lol