The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have 5 regulation wins in our last 23 games. Just a slump or something more?

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

17 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I would think long and hard about firing or not firing Benning. Because if the Aquilinis let him go, they will an extremely difficult time trying to find a quality replacement, considering their meddling reputation.

Benning got the club through some terrible no trade contracts which is great to be through.

He just has shown zero ability to sign effective UFA's to decent contracts and his trades are dog s.....

Put Benning back to scouting where he is best at and find an experienced GM that has a better grasp of all parts of the job. 

• Wat 1

I think JB stays until end of next season. If he makes playoffs next season he'll get extension. He's got another season and half ..

Canucks should hire DeBoer before a team like Dallas scoops him up. They fired Montgomery for bad behaviour Rick Bowness is the interim coach

Stars are expected to make playoffs and win a round or two.. they'll hire DeBoer at first hint of Bowness not being able to get the job done. 

3 hours ago, theochar said:

Who would execute this aforementioned slapshot grasshopper? All dmen not named Quinn should be banned from the pp. Put a forward on the point that can blast the puck (Brock Petey) let the others cause a bit of carnage in front of the net. If they overplay Alien he glides by the guy and creates a 5 on 3.

Myers and Hughes. Also, with the amount of space the Dmen have been given recently, I'm not too worried. Besides, there is no harm in trying and it might even give Hughes a better chance to catch up to Makar.

Edit: Yeah or we can place a forward there. 

Edited by Sandro17

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Benning got the club through some terrible no trade contracts which is great to be through.

He just has shown zero ability to sign effective UFA's to decent contracts and his trades are dog s.....

Put Benning back to scouting where he is best at and find an experienced GM that has a better grasp of all parts of the job. 

NO experienced GM in his right mind would ever want to work for the Aquilinis.

It is hard whenever your expectations are not being met.  I think the team is moving forward at an expected pace.  There is bound to be rough patches this year

The team was expected to battle for a wildcard spot.  

Hell, JB made the traded JT Miller pick conditional for a reason.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sandro17 said:

Myers and Hughes. Also, with the amount of space the Dmen have been given recently, I'm not too worried. Besides, there is no harm in trying and it might even give Hughes a better chance to catch up to Makar.

Edit: Yeah or we can place a forward there. 

Yes like I said Hughes gets to stay on the pp. Myers can't hit the net from 10 feet. In fact all of our d suck at this thing called shooting. I remember we used to make fun of Jiri Slegr for not being able to hit the side of a barn but your pk and willingness to block shots takes a bit of a hit when the puck is coming at you 100 mph head hight

9 hours ago, tas said:

eureka, someone gets it. 

expectations for this group (amongst fans and media only) changed only after they exceeded expectations in october. before that, going into the year, everybody expected a level of improvement, playing meaningful games in february and march, and battling for a playoff spot.

they're victims of their own success and of their fans' ridiculously fickle nature -- what was "hugely exceeding expectations" in october morphed into the actual expectations for november and beyond. 

the only thing that's different now than in training camp is everyone surrounding the team has lost sight of where this team actually is at and where they should reasonably be expected to be. 

I don't know if expectations have changed, well maybe for some people. 

Part of it comes from management/ownership. They went after Barrie/Subban, signed Myers, & made the JT Miller trade which signified the time to start winning was the next 2 years.

10 hours ago, tas said:

eureka, someone gets it. 

expectations for this group (amongst fans and media only) changed only after they exceeded expectations in october. before that, going into the year, everybody expected a level of improvement, playing meaningful games in february and march, and battling for a playoff spot.

they're victims of their own success and of their fans' ridiculously fickle nature -- what was "hugely exceeding expectations" in october morphed into the actual expectations for november and beyond. 

the only thing that's different now than in training camp is everyone surrounding the team has lost sight of where this team actually is at and where they should reasonably be expected to be. 

I have been of the mindset, from the beginning of the year. That we would be in tough to make play off's.

I have accepted the Miller trade as good value.  It is.  But it was not a trade I would have made. Having seen Miller play?  It still strikes me as good value. But still strikes me as a trade I would not have made.  Here we are, even with Miller, stressed to make play off's.  I was having great fun watching Petey & Boes, was excited to see Hughes. Am even more so now!

There was no need to advance the rebuild at the expense of picks. It seems we need both Petey and Gaudette to put on 10 lbs muscle, a year experience. To be better down centre ice before we will be a power. That's coming IMO. Just a matter of time. I believe we would have needed to draft one more high talent level pivot early in the draft?  Before we should have start expending 1sts on wins now.

I am supportive of JB anyway.  I don't proclaim to know all. And the team, in spite of me not liking every move, is heading in the right direction. Too much good young talent, and more coming!

I also am supportive of having signed Benn, Myers, Fantenburg, Ferlund, Roussel & Beagle last year. We are better defensively, fitter, stronger and bigger. Have some extra talent in Myers. They did not cost assets.

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

something more.  this team had a fast and lucky start. team tank. all the way.

So...

we get TJ Miller AND the 2020 pick? 

:bigblush:

make the 2021 playoffs.

Edited by Me_

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To go from tank this year to playoffs next year would be extremely difficult. Pacific division is no joke.

A lot of pressure of potentially giving TBL a lotto pick.

Well the Canucks make the playoffs this year, TBL gets the pick. If not, it’s a 2021 pick and the Canucks retain their 2020 pick.

Either way, the Canucks win.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Well the Canucks make the playoffs this year, TBL gets the pick. If not, it’s a 2021 pick and the Canucks retain their 2020 pick.

Either way, the Canucks win.

Yeah but if we don't make the playoffs both years it is a lotto pick in 2021.

• Cheers 1