The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have 5 regulation wins in our last 23 games. Just a slump or something more?

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Ben Hutton, Gubby and Del Z are all playing better hockey in California with other coaches,

Exactly.  Remember how solid Gudbranson played for Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year immediately after being traded by the Canucks?  He didn't suddenly improve his game, but rather was plugged into a team with a very solid defensive system. I don't think some people give enough credence to coaching systems, they're very important!

Seeing the Canucks collapse into a 4 (5)man box when playing 5v5 is absolutely pathetic.  Sorry, there is no gentler way to put it.  At the beginning of the season the Edler/Myers pairing looked rock solid. Recently Myers looks very weak defensively.  What has changed other than him playing his own game when he first arrived versus him now playing  Baumer's/Greens system?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

WI 

you can see the names

on paper and think wow well this team looks pretty good. And you’d be pretty right.

heres the thing though. Almost every team in this entire league looks really good on paper and if you don’t think at least 24/-25 teams do then you don’t know enough about other players in the league.

people treat the season like it’s dome

EA sports game and if we have a good team that means we should win..No....it doesent work that way. Because with a cap it breeds parity, with parity Breeds a ton of mediocre teams close together.

just because we have mostly the right group of players doesn’t mean they’re ready

three of our four best players are in there first second or third years.

our best four defensemen is a 19 yr old kid, two past their prime iffy bandwaids and a six million dollar Myers who was brought in for offense and is being outscored by gudbanson on a bad ducks team.

that says it sll. And then our offense is bipolar we almost never score first and then we have games we score 4-6 followed by two or three with less then two. I don’t like how green cries about penalties and then after the game praises our young team and the other teams grit, heavy fast hockey but really ...they’re NOT ready. But the fans are tired of waiting.

mix those things together and you have a disgruntled fam base who is being tired of being told “yes the Canucks were worse in the 80s and 90s) we don’t care we have three playoff wins (not series wins we have zero of those) but there playoff game wins since our cup finals run in 2011, one vs la in a five game first round loss, then two in that first round Calgary loss the last time we made it in 2015, We’re tired of being told to wait, but the team isn’t ready. It’s a toxic formula really.

So People can say it’s early. Is it though? It’s literally Xmas and don’t give me the blues that core made the playoffs a lot and was gritty everywhere and deep and got saved by a goalie who played out of his mind. 

And people can say we were worse in the 80s and Keenan era, but If we miss this season , there we’re literally looking at 2021 as the next possible playoff appearance and by then it will have been a full decade with zero series wins and those three I dividual playoff game wins i eluded to above vs la in 2012 and Calgary in 2015, and that’s IF we make it in 2021!

Nah.   This is still better then when Keenan and Messier were here - and I've never played EA whatever it is so can't comment on that.  Scream and yell all you want - this franchise had to start all over again and has never had this much young talent collectively in 50 years - and did it in a decent amount of time. 

Shoot some darts at the board if you like - but while your at it, really what did this team ever do in the 70's - 80's and 80's - 88 other then a fluke final appearance (the better teams lost opening the doors right until the final - which is considered the worst final since expansion by THN - and rightly so).    It wasn't until Linden came that things changed for us - and made us somewhat legitimate.   Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo and Ohlund got our hopes up for a bit and the Sedins - well they were the best team we've ever had.

I know the history pretty well - the only teams we've ever had

that won a fair amount of playoff games had Linden on them.   Seriously check it out.  Won more games with him then all the other wins combined.  Yeah we are rebuilding - and this time in a completely different environment then we have before.  31 soon to be 32 team - cap etc.   If we take the Sedins out of the equation and consider the rebuild started when they retired is it so bad?  How can fans forget so fast that Linden and JB were never going to tear it to the studs while they were still around.  They've been gone for less then two years and we've got the 2-3rd best group of 21 and unders in the entire league.   Maybe plug that into your EA game  and see what it comes out with.  Bet in two-three years with the same guys we are winning a lot of playoff games. 

Personally I never believed for a second we'd have any chance of anything with this core.  Nothing in the pipe. Nothing of consequence back from the best team in the league (FU Gillis) except Horvat (their best pick too).   And back to our history- count the years between final appearances. Over ten.   Which is actually well above average considering how many are competing.    When was TO last in a final again?  Ha ha.   Before I was born. 

Forgot to add this - those damn kids have my hopes up that maybe they can do something.   Why can't we just be patient and see how things turn out?  

Edited by IBatch

The good news is our Pacific Division is full of teams who are not consistent this season. lots of ups and downs,  no team is really running the table, so all season we will have a playoff spot potential team. I think Vegas has looked like the team to beat from what I have watched. I’m not sure The Coyotes finish top in the Pacific. 

The Canucks have a shot this year. I don’t care about predictive stats. The Canucks have goaltending. They have offensive power. They have a chance every game. I’m quite happy with where we are at this point in the season. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, lmm said:

This is a funny place. YOu all remember when the Oilers replaced their coach every year for 5 years? Canuck fans laughed and laughed, mocked the Oiler Org  for mis-management. The funny thing is that it seems that it affected Canuck fans more than anyone else. NOw Canuck fans have swung 180 degrees the other way, finding it neccesary to "be patient" long after it is reasonable. Why, for fear we will repeat the Oiler mistake? 

ilduce, what is this /12 season you are talking about? Bo Horvat is in his 6th NHL season without an NHL coach.

Ben Hutton, Gubby and Del Z are all playing better hockey in California with other coaches, interestingly they are both ex-Oiler coaches. Hutton also has never had an NHL coach and people wonder why these players are not progressing. Meanwhile our recent free agent signings are starting to look like Benny and Gubby out on our defense.

I agree with pateince with draft picks like Virtanen and McCann, who were both rushed into the NHL, but when did coaches start needing 3 years to prove their worth?

What kind of player could Bo Horvat be if he had 5 years of NHL coaching under his belt?

This season is not yet 1/2 way done.  This is the first year Green has had a half-decent lineup to work with, so he’s a little under half way through a season where making the playoffs is a reasonable expectation.  

Not sure where you’re going with the player progression angle.  Bo, Petey and Hughes have all seriously outperformed their draft projections... and guys like Stecher, Gaudette and Virtanen are doing great.  

If the black marks are Hutton, an injury plagued Gudbranson and journeyman Del Zotto... ill take that any day. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

This season is not yet 1/2 way done.  This is the first year Green has had a half-decent lineup to work with, so he’s a little under half way through a season where making the playoffs is a reasonable expectation.  

Not sure where you’re going with the player progression angle.  Bo, Petey and Hughes have all seriously outperformed their draft projections... and guys like Stecher, Gaudette and Virtanen are doing great.  

If the black marks are Hutton, an injury plagued Gudbranson and journeyman Del Zotto... ill take that any day. 

This team has taken a step towards relevance this season already.   We no longer struggle offensively, all lines contribute on any given night.  Sure we still run into hot goalies and can't put a pee through them...but usually still manage one or two or three (Dell and Price most recently).  

The additions were more then just good ones, but were also addition by subtraction.   Giddy, Hutton and Del Zotto <<<< Myers, Benn and Hughes - plus FatBurgers is on par with Schenn  so far, the only one of those guys I was sad to see go.  

Also upfront Miller and AG >>>> then Bear and Goldy.   Plus JVs working his way into a permanent top six role.   JB says he's looking for another top six player .... well he's got one on his own roster.  Just use the kid for crying out loud.  He's scoring at a better goals per sixty then most of the roster..and with limited PP time although he's getting that finally which is great.  

Out of off all the storylines this year JVs might be the best and have the biggest impact.   His next contract will be another team friendly one as he hasn't done it long enough to get the big money - but could easily outperform it again.   Plus Horvat could get a boost with him - and a slumping Horvat is still doing fine - and Pearson is still punching above his weight class too. 

Miller is great, Marky is great, EP is great.   Maybe the standings don't show a big step - but they do show one - and what we saw in October is a glimpse of the future  .... a bright one for sure.

• Cheers 4

20 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I swear if I hear the word “systems” used one more time, I’m going to punish you guys with my bikini dance. 

Systems....systems.   Ok just kidding I don't want to know.  And I might join you in whatever that is exactly and I'm going to say it won't be pretty...scars, beards and tattoos and - well maybe I'd get an audition on Vikings so bring it on.   Systems ha ha .

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

With last night's win against Pittsburgh that makes 5 regulation wins in the past 23 games. Let the good times roll.

All I want for christmas is a 3 game win streak after we beat Edmonton.

I'm greedy.  I want us to go 10-0 the next eight games and firmly cement ourselves back into the playoffs 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Systems....systems.   Ok just kidding I don't want to know.  And I might join you in whatever that is exactly and I'm going to say it won't be pretty...scars, beards and tattoos and - well maybe I'd get an audition on Vikings so bring it on.   Systems ha ha .

The amount of posers on here embarrassingly using buzzwords like “coaching” or systems”, as if they’ve even the tiniest little clue what they’re talking about, is just pathetic.

Buzz words.

There exists entire threads with topics on coaching, systems and the execution of both, but ZERO times has anything been defined by any of these posers as to what they are critiquing. 

Glad the WJ’s are beginning so I may take a break from a forum largely existing of folks who don’t know WTF they are talking about while pretending to have some kind of mastery of things on here while talking out of their asses! 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The amount of posers on here embarrassingly using buzzwords like “coaching” or systems”, as if they’ve even the tiniest little clue what they’re talking about, is just pathetic.

Buzz words.

There exists entire threads with topics on coaching, systems and the execution of both, but ZERO times has anything been defined by any of these posers as to what they are critiquing. 

Glad the WJ’s are beginning so I may take a break from a forum largely existing of folks who don’t know WTF they are talking about while pretending to have some kind of mastery of things on here while talking out of their asses! 

Whoa Cranky!

What would this place be without Buzz words and the Real Fans that regurge them ad nausium?

What would we talk about if not Moving Goal Posts, Hair Gap, I mean Air Gap, or was it Age Gap, or "Playing the Right Way, and lest we forget that every Jim Pick was a Character Guy? And of course every pick ever made has been a Blue Chipper from Pat White and Duke Ellington to Hogs n Pods. They all "Play hard" for the coach whether its Wonky Willy or Torts or Greener. Just remember this is a "Class organization" but we are subject to 2 rule books.  

I may have missed a few, so here are some blank spaces so you can fill in your own favorites.

this group is __________, they always _____________, they never _________________. We are set for _________________. If you can't see _________ (coach/ GM/owner/stick boy) ___________then you are a ______________________.

Merry Christmas, enjoy the WJ, I'm enjoying the Raps

Edited by lmm
  • Thanks 3

On 12/17/2019 at 9:50 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Benning needs to go.  This is his club.   He assembled it and is 100% responsible for the lack of truculense and grit. 

Boeser

Pettersson

Tryamkin

Demko

Gaudette

Hughes

Madden

We fire Benning and we will regret it for a long time. This kind of drafting is how you sustain success in a salary cap era.

Benning has put together a winning team. Green is responsible for how they're playing. Not Benning

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

Boeser

Pettersson

Tryamkin

Demko

Gaudette

Hughes

Madden

We fire Benning and we will regret it for a long time. This kind of drafting is how you sustain success in a salary cap era.

Benning has put together a winning team. Green is responsible for how they're playing. Not Benning

OJ is playing well too, he's still got decent odds of making it if he can stay healthy.   Maybe we'd have Glass and MT if a different GM was involved, or Ehlers and Pastrnak... who knows.  That said he's done enough for his extension and I also want to see it play out ...

On 12/22/2019 at 4:27 PM, lmm said:

Whoa Cranky!

What would this place be without Buzz words and the Real Fans that regurge them ad nausium?

What would we talk about if not Moving Goal Posts, Hair Gap, I mean Air Gap, or was it Age Gap, or "Playing the Right Way, and lest we forget that every Jim Pick was a Character Guy? And of course every pick ever made has been a Blue Chipper from Pat White and Duke Ellington to Hogs n Pods. They all "Play hard" for the coach whether its Wonky Willy or Torts or Greener. Just remember this is a "Class organization" but we are subject to 2 rule books.  

I may have missed a few, so here are some blank spaces so you can fill in your own favorites.

this group is ____AWESOME______, they always ____GIVE 100%_________, they never __________GIVE UP_______. We are set for _______A PARADE__________. If you can't see ______ALL OF THE FOLLOWING___ (coach/ GM/owner/stick boy) _____ARE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME______then you are a __________LOSER LAUGHS FAN!!____________.

Merry Christmas, enjoy the WJ, I'm enjoying the Raps

Ok so that might be a touch over the top, but it’s Christmas, I’m surrounded by family and drunk enough that is shows. Merry Christmas all!

• Upvote 1

Up to now, I still think Canucks is a playoff team this season.

The young cores just need time to gain experience.

BN's draft is excellent, his trades become improvement. No problem of last summer's moves. I don't think he need to go.

Green is a young head coach, and learns a lot during the last season and the first few month of this season.

The goalie coach is good enough.

Originally I think Brown should go, but now I changed my mind due to outcomings.

Canucks are 10-10 in their last 20 games.
It’s not time to plan the parade route yet, but it’s not exactly the stuff of fire Dimjim, fire Green, fire everybody just yet.

Last time I looked the team was 4 points out of third place in the Western Conferance and had a plus nine goal differential. 

In other words, just terrible. I cry myself to sleep every night. Why can’t we be more like the Leafs????? 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Leafs have 13 cups......  just sayin......     we got a few 2nd place finishes 

The Leafs also have been in the league like 53 years longer than we have and their last Cup was before our existence in the NHL. So technically their drought is longer than ours and how many 2nd place finishes have they had since we joined the NHL?

• Cheers 1