The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Canuck Slide

Rate this topic

JamesB

Reasons for poor performance  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Pickly said:

Really? Cause other than Tyler Motte, I haven’t seen a Canuck player throw a hit for a few games now. Right now, I can’t tell the difference between a Travis Green coached team and a Willie D coached team. 

Image result for willie desjardins

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

well this is first NHL gig, might not be his rookie season, but in my book he's a rookie NHLer.

Technically might not be a rookie it's his 3rd year but first job.. still somewhat of a rookie.. still learning on the job.. 

His 2nd or 3rd team he'll be a complete coach.. right now he's still raw and under developed ... 

We need an experienced high caliber coach for this team..someone who's been around and coached a couple of teams including playoffs 

DeBoer

2 SCF SJS NJD

1 WCF SJS

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I agree with @aGENT in that this is a young team.  The core players we're relying on to win games are all on the early side of their 20's and they need to learn how to win games consistently.  Boeser is in his 3rd year, Petey 2nd year and Hughes is a ROOKIE.  Horvat is the oldest core player and he's 24.

Of ocurse a young team is bound to make mistakes (lose games, tc.) but it's about learning from your mistakes and games lost.

For example, team blows a big lead against Washington and does the same thing against the Pens a few games later.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 1

this team still can't score period.. on paper looks like we improved.. but our top line is scoring a lot of goals in blowout games.. our PP looks like crap against good teams.. we are still a 1 line team.. Bo still have no "good" player to play with.. and defensively Hughes is an upgrade.. but looking at the season so far lol.. myers looks like a bust.. coulda gotten hutton on a cheap contract for the exact same result lol. Ferland looking like a bust signing.. i don't even think he'll be able to put together 10 games without being concussed again.. and even when he was playing.. he doesn't look like a fit anywhere.. Miller production wise is an upgrade over Goldobin.. but his stats is kinda inflated too coz he has 13 games with 0 points.. and most of his multi point games came against bad teams. 20 of his 31 points came against teams that didn't make the playoffs last year. he has 11 points in 17 games against playoff teams which is not bad.. but 4 of those points came in 2 games.. so really it's 7 points in 15 games.. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

I think the systems don't work and the constant line juggling isn't helping either. Benning isn't the problem although he made some mistakes early in his tenure. The whacko schedule makers don't help, why did they have all those breaks in schedule early and then cram all the games in with 6/7 game road trips. Makes no sense, they played 15 games in a month with tons of travel , 15 !!! Thats ridiculous, the league does not want the Canucks to be a winning team for what ever reason, it's been that way for their entire history. From losing out on the draft lottery EVERY TIME to screwing them over in all three of their cup runs. Does it have something to do with Toronto not wanting them to have a franchise in the 70's? 

At this point of the season the Canucks are middle of the pack in terms of travel.  

This is an interactive bar chart of distance travelled at every point of the season:  https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/688932/  

In October they played 12 games tied with 6 other teams.  Most was Calgary with 15 and least NJD with 10.  In November they played 15 games tied with 6 other teams.  Most was 16 (5 teams).  Least was Tampa with 12 who travelled to Europe.    There were 10 teams including the Canucks at 27 games by end of November.   Canucks with Calgary and Minnesota had the most road games by end of November with 17 already.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Edler is the voodoo doll of this team.  When Edler is at the top of his game, the team is at the top of its game.  When Edler is injured or playing just so-so, the team struggles.

yes

that clearly is the biggest problem

he is underpaid

he should be getting 11ish million per season

then he'd play every game with his full toolbox of talent

and the team would be undefeated

Edited by coastal.view

Looking at player performance individually.

Over achieved or trending in the right direction- Miller, Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette, Petey, Marky, Pearson, Hughes

Under achieved- Benn, Myers, Eriksson

No Change- Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, Schaller, Demko, stecher

Injuries affecting performance- Edler, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel, 

Out the 4 players picked up in the summer, 1 has overachieved, the other 3 haven't so yes , we have on paper improved our roster , but we haven't on the ice.

At the very least this is on our defensive system coverage (beat the dead horse) and not getting the most out Myers and Benn. Benn is having his worst Corsi year in 5-6 years.

Yes we have 10 new players starting this year learning our system but we're almost half way through the season so cant use that reasoning anymore.

Baumer for sure should be a healthy scratch moving forward

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

And what has changed? It wasn't the coach or the 'systems' everyone seems keen to complain about.

IMO, it's a bunch of young, inexperienced, inconsistent kids we're expecting to lead the charge, who are squeezing sticks too tight, trying to do too much (especially as we've had injuries) and looking tired and disorganized and at times, defensively inept.

This really shouldn't be a terrible shock (even if it is unpleasant to watch... and likely even more so to actually play). Kids need to develop. They don't call them 'growing unicorns and rainbows', they're called growing pains.

Agree with you on this. This past week both JB and TG used the words "still learning" when talking to the press about our young core, mistakes, and their play. Speaks to the inexperience, growing pains, and inconsistency you mentioned.

The offseason signings and hot start in October skewed the reality of this. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree with you on this. This past week both JB and TG used the words "still learning" when talking to the press about our young core, mistakes, and their play. Speaks to the inexperience, growing pains, and inconsistency you mentioned.

The offseason signings and hot start in October skewed the reality of this. 

"Still learning"   also applies to our head coach.  Is that the right fit for a young team? How does a coach that has  ever done this  make those around him successful?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

At this point of the season the Canucks are middle of the pack in terms of travel.  

This is an interactive bar chart of distance travelled at every point of the season:  https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/688932/  

In October they played 12 games tied with 6 other teams.  Most was Calgary with 15 and least NJD with 10.  In November they played 15 games tied with 6 other teams.  Most was 16 (5 teams).  Least was Tampa with 12 who travelled to Europe.    There were 10 teams including the Canucks at 27 games by end of November.   Canucks with Calgary and Minnesota had the most road games by end of November with 17 already.  

They have the Canucks at fourth at the end excluding the Balckhawks who travelled to Europe at the beginning. My point was if they the most (almost) miles to travel, why not have the breaks in the schedule when they could use them, not all front loaded in October. How does that help them? The schedule has been this way for the last three years and the only true constant is the injury's pile up during these whacko schedule times. Who has the most man games lost to injury in the last three years and when they occur? Is there a graph for that?

It needs another option. 

I think Bennings ability to be a strong, fair leader combined with Greens lack of either involvment or strategic options is the reason why the Canucks fail. 

I got a lot of negative people on my back when I talked about Benning as weak when he fed Dahlen to the wolves. At the time Petey got into his slump if anyone remembers.Think of one reason his slump began at that time... Can it be because a friend of him getting hunted and killed online. Yeah, great way to get your superstar going. 

Benning was also weak when he handled the Loui distraction. He wasn't able to get out on top of either issues when he just tried to save face. 

Why is he bothered to save face and for who? 

That shows you have a leader that can turn his back on you in a split second. Bad for motivation and loyalty. The pressure on the players rise with negative impact on muscles. 

Green is a coach that line juggles as if he was in AHL with influx of NHL players combined with collage prospects. There you have to change lines all the time. Not in NHL.

Ovechkin wanted Bäckström by his side all the time. Wonder why... 

The players need to know each other in and out. They doesn't know now because everything changes nearly from game to game. 

As I said in another thread, even I can get Loui to become a 60point player. Just put him in with Horvat and second PP for the whole season and your home. 

Green also is outsmarted by othercoaches. Sometimes it feels like they play with him because Green can't change anything during games. B

• Wat 1

This is 100 percent on the players.  

In order for the Canucks to do well they need balanced contribution throughout the line up.  Right now execution is sloppy, and their skating isn't good enough to make up for mistakes.  Missed passes are killing their offensive momentum a lot of the time.  Defensively, guys like gaudette are still learning and definitely need to improve.  The forecheck won't work without speed.  That's why we are seeing such a dip in results lately.  

I hate seeing the losing as much as anyone, but let's not forget where this team is at.  To be a good team they really need everbody going and there are a big group of players that arnt atm.   

There are still a lot of games to go.  Better execution will be the difference maker for this team.  They simply don't have the talent to shoot themselves in the foot.

I do think Bo needs a guy like Miller on his line.  Petey and Boes should be good enough to produce without JT.  Maybe put Roussel with Petey and Miller with Bo and Pearson.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

It needs another option. 

I think Bennings ability to be a strong, fair leader combined with Greens lack of either involvment or strategic options is the reason why the Canucks fail. 

I got a lot of negative people on my back when I talked about Benning as weak when he fed Dahlen to the wolves. At the time Petey got into his slump if anyone remembers.Think of one reason his slump began at that time... Can it be because a friend of him getting hunted and killed online. Yeah, great way to get your superstar going. 

Benning was also weak when he handled the Loui distraction. He wasn't able to get out on top of either issues when he just tried to save face. 

Why is he bothered to save face and for who? 

That shows you have a leader that can turn his back on you in a split second. Bad for motivation and loyalty. The pressure on the players rise with negative impact on muscles. 

Green is a coach that line juggles as if he was in AHL with influx of NHL players combined with collage prospects. There you have to change lines all the time. Not in NHL.

Ovechkin wanted Bäckström by his side all the time. Wonder why... 

The players need to know each other in and out. They doesn't know now because everything changes nearly from game to game. 

As I said in another thread, even I can get Loui to become a 60point player. Just put him in with Horvat and second PP for the whole season and your home. 

Green also is outsmarted by othercoaches. Sometimes it feels like they play with him because Green can't change anything during games. B

image.gif.0b0fbcfb0a85ba73a7ee9a5d4b1a1fd6.gif

Seriously, what kind of fantasy land do you live in? Your posts are always full of maximum absurdity to the point that I don't know if you're trolling or just completely delusional.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kushman said:

image.gif.0b0fbcfb0a85ba73a7ee9a5d4b1a1fd6.gif

Seriously, what kind of fantasy land do you live in? Your posts are always full of maximum absurdity to the point that I don't know if you're trolling or just completely delusional.

It's called another perspective. You should try that from time to time. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 2