The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals)(Discussions) Should we let Benning go?

11 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

fire Benning for investing all that money in Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson. The Eriksson and Sutter contracts are absolute albatrosses. That Baertschi trade was terrible which I said from the get-go. Baertschi's contract also sucks. JB generally signs the worst contracts. 

Trading Jared McCann was also a mistake. If we hadn't have traded McCann our forward lines would look much different. McCann in my opinion is already better than and significantly younger than who we eventually got in return for trading McCann, Tanner Pearson. Pearson is a good middle six guy signed to a suitable contract but he's not going to be a future 60 point guy which looks like McCann could blossom into. 

The Virtanen pick wasn't terrible if you look at who was available that year. Bennett and Dal Colle were both picked ahead of him and he's been better than both IMO. He looks like he's becoming a much better player and is almost on pace for 20 goals. In my opinion, he's a late bloomer. He'll get a good contract extension this year and hopefully can again put up career numbers next season. Sure we could've gotten Ehlers, Nylander, Fiala, Vrana, Sanheim, Tuch or N. Schmaltz; but that's besides the point as hindsight is always 20/20 

Now there's the Juolevi pick. What a dud. He's still got potential as a #4 or #5 guy but as a project player he's taken forever to develop. Just a complete and utter disappointment. Brisebois our 2015 3rd round pick has passed OJ on the depth chart. We could've had M.Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev(that would've been a home run), McAvoy, Fabbro or Chychrun. Even though Chychrun fell significantly in pre-draft ranking I wanted to move down from #5 and pick Chychrun. He's the exact player we wanted Juolevi to be. Big, strong, bruising and a decent skater in his FOURTH NHL season at the age of TWENTY-ONE. FILTHY. We really missed out there. 

I'm not saying Benning hasn't made some killer moves but trading pick #50 in 2014(Roland McKeown), #33 in 2016(Rasmus Asplund), #53(Rasmus Andersson) and these are just the early picks. If we had some luck with the two picks not used to select Rasmus Andersson we could've had Montour, Donato or C.Dvorak at #50 in 2014 and in 2016 with pick #33 we could've had Alex DeBrincat, Jordan Kyrou, Libor Hajek, Samuel Girard, Boris Katchouk, Carter Hart, Filip Hronek and so on. Basically what I'm saying is that Benning should've held onto more picks earlier on his tenure. It would've made a huge difference for our bottom. 

I think Ron Hextall would make a great General Manager for our team after he built the Flyers. He could use the bones that Benning built for this team and then go from there! 

*takes mink lined gloves off*

Sutter - if not for his terrible injury luck no one would complain. 

Beagle- top end 4th line checking and PKer

Was Beagle not instrumental in washingtons cup win? 

Who would you have in his place? 

Roussel- one of the best skating agitators/ grinders in the league, his hustle is unmatched. 

Idiotic to complain about 3 bottom 6 forwards, with out them in the line up the canucks are much, MUCH worse.

Eriksson- not going to lie that i was intrigued when he was signed, every one wanted lucic over eriksson. I have made my opinion clear on louie, he's not even AHL first line capable.

How could anyone know that L.E. would be so bad coming off of a 30G season? No one. Especially not you.

Baertschi for a 2nd? Was a win win, calgary gm wanted Baertschi to be something he is not. Former 1st rounder 11thOA for a 2nd rounder who is years away?

Again if Baertschi was never injured you wouldnt have anything to say. 3.66M for a top 6 scoring winger that is a BARGAIN.

Way off here again.

McCann was a c u next tuesday and thats why he got shipped out.

60 points? Ahahahhaha he's going to be lucky to get to 50 playing with Crosby and Malkin.

McCann is on pace for about 45/50 points

Pearson is in pace for 45/50+ points.

Guddy was a former 3rdOA pick, wish he could have developed more.

Pearson has cup rings, where is mcaann and guddys?

Tanner has arrived in Vancouver and formed solid chemistry with Horvat.

Virtanen currently has 9 goals and 8 assist in 35gp. Times that by 2 what do you get?

18 goals and 16 assists in 70 games, so J.V. has 12 games to get 2 goals and a few assists to hit 40 points.

Excellent production from a 3rd liner most of the year, jake looks to be catching his stride aswell.

Going after O.J. Who again has had terrible injury luck, not his fault nor can you blame him. Oj will be a solid 3/4 nhl d man.

Tkachuk is a clown and i feel he's more of a distraction then a hockey player, character flaws are something the canucks avoid.

Ehlers would not be the same player in van.

Keller would not be the same player in van.

Sergachev ? With the Russian issues the canucks have had I'm glad we steered away.

Mcavoy was an unknown, how is carlo and senshyun doing?

Chycrun was played early because ARZ had NO ONE BETTER THEN AN 18Y.O KID TO PLAY D. how many games did he miss in his first 4 years? 75 Out of 282 games since joining the coyotes and this season isn't even half way yet.

Holding on to picks? What the ?

Wasnt the first year or two that benning was here was to get to the playoffs with the twins and kesler still here? Added eriksson to help the twins? Traded picks for NHL ready talent those years? Thats the cost of doing business. Trading a future ( possible) nhl player (picks) a current nhl player to push the team over the hump and into the playoffs?.

Mckeown looks like a bust. Where is he?

Where in the world is asplund?

Ahahah the flyers? As in Philadelphia Flyers? 

Giroux, couturier voracek, jvr and hayes were not draft picks by hextall. Hextall joined philly as gm in july of 2013.

He selected Konecny, Sanheim, provorov, laberge, rubstov, frost and Patrick.

J.v. vs sanheim. Jv doubling his points.

Boeser vs konecny. Brock currently outscoring konecny.

Provorov doesn't count because he was Philadelphia first 1st rounder the year he was drafted and the canucks only had 1(brock).

Laberge and rubstov vs Olli Juolevi who would you rather have?

Frost and Patrick vs Elias Pettersson that's no brainer.

How much have those picks by hextall contributed to Philadelphia Stanley cups?

Hextall is NOT a good G.m.

If the canucks picked all the players you listed they would need all draft picks every year as many teams also passed on the same players the canucks did sometimes even 2 or 3 times.

But please fire benning and green and fin and anyone else you can name. 

:picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:  5 face palms(stars) for thread 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Vancouver fans are demanding and not accepting of crappy hockey team.  Right now our club is crappy.

Benning assembled this team.   The current dog s... results sit on Benning.     

He should probably go back to running drafting/scouting and let the important job of GM go to someone that has real experience in the role.   

Myers is a perfect example of what is wrong with Benning.  Signs a crappy D man to 6 mil per year and gives him 5 yrs of term - 30 million dollars.

Are you kidding me.........     Winnipeg fans are still laughing about the contract JB offered Myers....

You're saying all our players are bad? Like, all of them?

26 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

You're saying all our players are bad? Like, all of them?

Not at all.   We have some decent components for sure ... mostly which are our new younger core.

Benning has brought in too many UFA's that are here for the paycheck and just try to not get hurt each game...

• Cheers 1

I’ve been critical of a lot of Benning’s moves in the past. But it’s hard to argue with 3 Calder finalists in 3 years. My first thought would be to look at the coach.

Then again, Benning got to hand-pick 2 coaches - and the first was a disaster. Green seems to be a good development coach - the success of our rookies is partly on how he’s used them - but he may not be ready to win at this level. Should we trust Benning to make the right call on a 3rd coach? Especially since, if it doesn’t work, Jim will be gone and the new coach may not jive with the next GM.

I suspect Benning and Green have the rest of this year to figure this out, and if not, Benning will go and the new GM will likely pick a new coach too. It’s worked well for Edmonton.

Green is a good development coach, but Pettersson and Hughes could probably teach him some things. Canucks need a coach to take them to the next level. To keep himself busy, Green's big project now seems to be keeping the reigns on Jake and micro-managing his every move. I wonder how Jake would do with a coach who believes in him.  

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Haha 1

Everybody in this thread needs to relax. We're just talking hockey. No need to be calling me an idiot or a fool. I'm not stupid or a bad person I'm just here to talk hockey so just relax. 

I didn't like the Juolevi pick at the time. I would've preferred Matt Tkachuk because of his skillset as a power forward. If we had Tkachuk playing with Bo right now we'd be a playoff team and no-one would be complaining. It's amazing the impact one player can make.

I didn't like the Eriksson signing at the time either. I thought it was wasteful and would've rather used the money to sign some bottom six guys and trade some of our older guys for younger players. In other words, we were still a rebuilding team and could've utilized the cap space for better players on shorter term deals. In my opinion, it would've been good to sign a guy like Thomas Vanek for dirt-cheap who would be better right now than Eriksson. 

To tell you the truth, I liked the Jake Virtanen pick. I wanted Ehlers or Nylander but I didn't mind the JV pick. I thought he would be a skilled power forward in the mold of Kyle Okposo and Jarome Iginla. He still very young and could still be very good but so far he's been disappointing,. It looks like he's poised to have a career year but I think we should sign him to another short-term contract to prove his worth. He's a good player but hasn't lived up to his draft position so far. 

I didn't like the Beagle or Roussel signings even though they've been a success so far. You see if you look at all the winning teams in the NHL you notice that they don't spend a lot of money on their bottom six every year and usually they utilize their pro scouting to find bottom six guys to replace the guys they had who left the contending team for a better contract which is exactly what Roussel and Beagle did(leaving Dallas and Washington respectively - both cup contenders) 

With the Bonino-Sutter trade, I didn't like it at the time. First of all Bonino is a better player then Sutter. Also, I thought we could trade Bonino for a first round pick at the trade deadline. In my opinion, he was worth at least that and possibly a 1st rounder + a B level prospect. As for Sutter, he was worth a little bit less than that before he signed that contract. Sutter is overpaid by at least a million dollars and will probably be difficult to remove without taking a contract back. He was worth much more than he is now when we got him from Pittsburgh. 

Speaking of trade proposals, let me know what you guys think of this one:

To CBJ: LW Loui Eriksson and VAN 2nd 2020

To VAN: F Brandon Dubinsky 

We lose an extra year of Eriksson's contract and we get a player in Dubinsky who can be bought out more palatably than Eriksson($1,850,000 AAV over 3 years for a Dubinsky buyout this offseason) 

Obviously we lose a 2nd round pick but I think the cap space is worthwhile. Especially because we're probably going to miss the playoffs this year(still have fingers crossed that we make it!) so the Jackets get a high second rounder that they would need to replace after trading theirs to the Senators. We could still re-acquire a 2nd round pick by trading some other guys out like Sutter(if we retain salary). We get to the use this years first rounder if we miss the playoffs, which could be a lottery winning pick. Imagine getting 3rd overall and getting the opportunity to pick Lucas Raymond. How sick would that be! Imagine Raymond playing RW with Pettersson and Miller. I'm drooling guys! 

Anyways guys let me know what you think! Whether you agree with me or not we're just here to talk hockey so chill! 

• Like 1

I think the Canucks have been hyped for a while. Benning's drafting has been very good, with Pettersson, Gaudette, Virtanen, Boeser, Hughes and Demko all on the team and playing well. These are between really good to excellent players. Benning brought in better D, and 2 Top 6 forwards (for Bo and Pettersson). Then they decided to change the uniform and remove the VANCOUVER, which I'm glad. With the 50th season they want to make it special, so they're having ceremonies and wearing special jerseys, etc. They have a rookie Dman, the likes they`ve never had. Merch is flying off the shelves, very exciting times. This just felt like the year they finally got a winner. But it didn't take long for the wheels to fall off. November and December so far have been bad. They went from near the top of the conference to near the bottom in a matter of 6 weeks. Injuries, travel, none of it matters. This is about results. Get 'er done. That's what good teams do. It's apparent the stars are still young and learning. And so is Green. This will take time. My guess is neither Green or Benning will be part of the team when they get good again. Maybe Podkolzin gets some playoff action in his rookie year and things start to turn around. By then the kids will be experienced NHLers, and hopefully they can do some damage in the playoffs.  

15 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I didn't like the Eriksson signing at the time either. I thought it was wasteful and would've rather used the money to sign some bottom six guys and trade some of our older guys for younger players. In other words, we were still a rebuilding team and could've utilized the cap space for better players on shorter term deals. In my opinion, it would've been good to sign a guy like Thomas Vanek for dirt-cheap who would be better right now than Eriksson. 

So... Sutter Beagle roussel Ferland are not bottom 6? 

You don't win the Stanley Cup with a team full of 18-23y.o players. The last 10 cup champs didn't have any skaters close to Calder finalists.

Where is vanek?

Im sure cbj will trade their captain for 6 million cap dump l.e.

Tkachuk would have cost the canucks petey and hughes. No I'd still rather D man Juolevi over a winger. Canucks need D not wingers.

Podz looks like to be equal pwf to tkapuke, so that's pointless to argue now.

Bonino /Sutter/Kesler 

Yes Kesler earned his nmc or ntc.

Demanding 1 or 2 teams to be traded to is ridiculous or as rumour had it he would sit out.

What a pathetic loser, doing that to your teammate's and organization that drafted and developed you and made you a millionaire ,?

Glad he will never get a Stanley Cup as a player, silver suite's him. 

Oh let's not forget his infidelities whilst his wife was pregnant

Add in Schneider's girl.

Sutter is better as an all around player then bonino. Plus rh too.

Washington couldn't afford to re sign beagle. That simple.

Roussel was originally a canuck try out before dallas got him. His idol is burrows! Antoine stated he wanted to be in Vancouver.

So was Marty St. Louis but i dont see you mentioning the canucks could have had 8 cups if they signed him?

Canuck 1st rounder this year or next year will be a DEFENCEMAN.

Miller Boeser Virtanen Gaudette lind Hoglander podz...all possibly top 6 wingers. 

With Ferland Roussel Leivo and Pearson around for the next 1-4 years

Beagle,sutter Horvat Petey as c. Defense is what is needed draft wise.

• Upvote 1

My personal take is Benning has done what he had to do coming into our situation, and I'm sure he had the owners blessings so hard to fire him.

I've said it before, when you get a team that had spent picks to stay relevant and the picks used ended up a bustaroos you have nothing to work with.

The ONLY solution is to go after UFA players, we had a team of fringe players on the bottom and they are not what you surround prospects with...

Benning HAD to rebuild the supporting cast on this team.

The only one to blame for Ericksson is Ericksson himself or maybe the coaching staff... You sign a 30 goal guy in hopes he can step in, go figure.

Definitely hurts none the less...

But otherwise Benning has had to scour the earth to rebuild our depth... UFA, Reclamation projects, unsigned players etc etc you win some you lose some.

Benning's drafting record is pretty decent, always hindsight makes everyone a better GM than benning... Speaking of Juolevi... Personally nothing to do with the player picked, but we knew the Sedin's were done... your losing two premiere forwards from your roster and you pick a defenseman??? A mistake regardless of who was or was not picked. At the time I felt Sergachev might have been ideal to pair with Tryamkin and help him fit in with a new lifestyle...

If you want to blame anything on Benning it might well just be his choices in coaching staffs... I don't mind Green but I do not think he has the offensive savvy to take us much farther, and allowing Green to hire and even greener defensive coach is a mistake imho... 

On 12/18/2019 at 5:37 AM, morrissex95 said:

fire Benning for investing all that money in Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson. The Eriksson and Sutter contracts are absolute albatrosses. That Baertschi trade was terrible which I said from the get-go. Baertschi's contract also sucks. JB generally signs the worst contracts. 

Trading Jared McCann was also a mistake. If we hadn't have traded McCann our forward lines would look much different. McCann in my opinion is already better than and significantly younger than who we eventually got in return for trading McCann, Tanner Pearson. Pearson is a good middle six guy signed to a suitable contract but he's not going to be a future 60 point guy which looks like McCann could blossom into. 

The Virtanen pick wasn't terrible if you look at who was available that year. Bennett and Dal Colle were both picked ahead of him and he's been better than both IMO. He looks like he's becoming a much better player and is almost on pace for 20 goals. In my opinion, he's a late bloomer. He'll get a good contract extension this year and hopefully can again put up career numbers next season. Sure we could've gotten Ehlers, Nylander, Fiala, Vrana, Sanheim, Tuch or N. Schmaltz; but that's besides the point as hindsight is always 20/20 

Now there's the Juolevi pick. What a dud. He's still got potential as a #4 or #5 guy but as a project player he's taken forever to develop. Just a complete and utter disappointment. Brisebois our 2015 3rd round pick has passed OJ on the depth chart. We could've had M.Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev(that would've been a home run), McAvoy, Fabbro or Chychrun. Even though Chychrun fell significantly in pre-draft ranking I wanted to move down from #5 and pick Chychrun. He's the exact player we wanted Juolevi to be. Big, strong, bruising and a decent skater in his FOURTH NHL season at the age of TWENTY-ONE. FILTHY. We really missed out there. 

I'm not saying Benning hasn't made some killer moves but trading pick #50 in 2014(Roland McKeown), #33 in 2016(Rasmus Asplund), #53(Rasmus Andersson) and these are just the early picks. If we had some luck with the two picks not used to select Rasmus Andersson we could've had Montour, Donato or C.Dvorak at #50 in 2014 and in 2016 with pick #33 we could've had Alex DeBrincat, Jordan Kyrou, Libor Hajek, Samuel Girard, Boris Katchouk, Carter Hart, Filip Hronek and so on. Basically what I'm saying is that Benning should've held onto more picks earlier on his tenure. It would've made a huge difference for our bottom. 

I think Ron Hextall would make a great General Manager for our team after he built the Flyers. He could use the bones that Benning built for this team and then go from there! 

Oh heck, I suggest that the team should just be sold off and moved to a different city... or even better, just dissolved.

regards,  G.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, Gollumpus said:

Oh heck, I suggest that the team should just be sold off and moved to a different city... or even better, just dissolved.

regards,  G.

what are you talking about G I was just critiquing our management that's all 

not saying I could do it better as the job is for a true pro 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:13 AM, morrissex95 said:

what are you talking about G I was just critiquing our management that's all 

not saying I could do it better as the job is for a true pro 

It is? What makes a pro? Not making mistakes by any chance?

With ALL the helpers involved in hockey now anyone who can read and has an interest could be qualified. The only thing stopping this from happening are the "unwritten rules", the "boys club" and an understanding that the entire NHL is a single entity.

Is Benning a lawyer? No, maybe high school. Did he run teams before here? No, he was merely an assistant in a top heavy team. Was he a scouting genius? No, he didn't have much to do with scouting in Boston at all.

Since the internet, the cap can be managed, CBA interpreted, stats coming out the ying yang, scouting has become much more refined and accurate with all the scouting agencies. Lawyers hired to write contracts, capologists to manage the cap, assistants to do the mundane, office managers to deal with the office, marketers to do most of the selling, the coach runs the on ice product, JB's real job is supposed to be seeing the future and telling others what he wants done AND listening to other than the "yes" men and buddies he has surrounded himself with.

Do the fans really think this is complex physics? Good coaches can cross coach other sports too, but apparently ONLY JIM BENNING knows how to make fission a clean energy source.

If you had some buddies in the NHL you could do the job, most people could.

The only detriment is knowing other people in the NHL, if a guy did get a job the rest of the NHL would refuse to do business with him to ensure they keep their jobs

4 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

It is? What makes a pro? Not making mistakes by any chance?

With ALL the helpers involved in hockey now anyone who can read and has an interest could be qualified. The only thing stopping this from happening are the "unwritten rules", the "boys club" and an understanding that the entire NHL is a single entity.

Is Benning a lawyer? No, maybe high school. Did he run teams before here? No, he was merely an assistant in a top heavy team. Was he a scouting genius? No, he didn't have much to do with scouting in Boston at all.

Since the internet, the cap can be managed, CBA interpreted, stats coming out the ying yang, scouting has become much more refined and accurate with all the scouting agencies. Lawyers hired to write contracts, capologists to manage the cap, assistants to do the mundane, office managers to deal with the office, marketers to do most of the selling, the coach runs the on ice product, JB's real job is supposed to be seeing the future and telling others what he wants done AND listening to other than the "yes" men and buddies he has surrounded himself with.

Do the fans really think this is complex physics? Good coaches can cross coach other sports too, but apparently ONLY JIM BENNING knows how to make fission a clean energy source.

If you had some buddies in the NHL you could do the job, most people could.

The only detriment is knowing other people in the NHL, if a guy did get a job the rest of the NHL would refuse to do business with him to ensure they keep their jobs

When Benning was AGM in Boston he drafted:

Lucic

Marchand

Seguin(a home-run but still)

Hamilton 

Kessel

Spooner

Grzelyck 

He did pretty well when was Director of Amateur Scouting in Boston. If we were only talking about the first round I'm sure I'd do alright BUT these Lucic, Marchand and Spooner picks are gems that are really difficult to come by. It takes a true pro to find a gem in the rough in a guy like Brad Marchand who is one of the best players in the NHL. 

If we were to go in a different direction for GM if we miss the playoffs this year and JB gets fired there are a lot of guys I'd be interested in. Al Murray in Tampa is probably one of the best scouts in the NHL. He unearthed Kucherov, Point, Killorn, Paquette, Gourde, Palat, Vasilievski, Raddysh, Katchouk, Cirelli and even more guys that I don't know about. If he were available and I'm Francesco Aquillini I'm willing to pay top dollar to get a guy like Murray. With a good capologist, a good contract negotiator, etc. surrounding a guy like Murray with a good management group and lots of draft picks we could probably be a top team in a 5-6 years. 

Halfway through the season, 6 players are on pace for 20 goals or better. 6 players are on pace for 50 points or better. That's half the forwards and one defenceman in that group of 7.

5 players are young and as far as I know aren't close to where their ceilings are expected to be. Speaking for myself, I expect them to get there.

Only one from that bunch isn't a Benning hire. Currently the Canucks sit 2nd in their division.

That's good, right? Go Jim. Keep up the good work.

Edited by John_Guest

11 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Lucic

Marchand

Hamilton 

Kessel

Spooner

Grzelyck 

He did pretty well when was Director of Amateur Scouting in Boston. If we were only talking about the first round I'm sure I'd do alright BUT these Lucic, Marchand and Spooner picks are gems that are really difficult to come by. It takes a true pro to find a gem in the rough in a guy like Brad Marchand who is one of the best players in the NHL. 

If we were to go in a different direction for GM if we miss the playoffs this year and JB gets fired there are a lot of guys I'd be interested in. Al Murray in Tampa is probably one of the best scouts in the NHL. He unearthed Kucherov, Point, Killorn, Paquette, Gourde, Palat, Vasilievski, Raddysh, Katchouk, Cirelli and even more guys that I don't know about. If he were available and I'm Francesco Aquillini I'm willing to pay top dollar to get a guy like Murray. With a good capologist, a good contract negotiator, etc. surrounding a guy like Murray with a good management group and lots of draft picks we could probably be a top team in a 5-6 years. 

This is pretty stupid reasoning. We've got a great director of scouting in Brackett. If you want to to hire a guy like that to replace Benning and take him away from scouting, then surround him with people who do all the other GM work, just cut out the middle man and hire those people now.

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we should let him go on building a team we’ll all be proud to watch. podkolzin, hoglander, lind, woo, madden, juolevi and others still to come.  i can’t understand why people would want to fire JB or TG

Maybe they drink too much whiskey, like someone I know?

0D086A03-3F66-4780-BC94-DCEF279B0168.jpeg

Edited by Alflives

On 12/29/2019 at 7:02 PM, morrissex95 said:

Lucic

Marchand

Hamilton 

Kessel

Spooner

Grzelyck 

Umm not exactly correct... Banning was never "Director of Ameteur Scouting".  He came to Boston hired as Player Development and then the next year he was promoted to asst. gm.  position. Lucic, Marchand and Kessel were not from Benning.

12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Umm not exactly correct... Banning was never "Director of Ameteur Scouting".  He came to Boston hired as Player Development and then the next year he was promoted to asst. gm.  position. Lucic, Marchand and Kessel were not from Benning.

I'm pretty sure Lucic, Marchand and Kessel were all Benning picks but I could be wrong. 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:09 AM, Bitter Melon said:

This is pretty stupid reasoning. We've got a great director of scouting in Brackett. If you want to to hire a guy like that to replace Benning and take him away from scouting, then surround him with people who do all the other GM work, just cut out the middle man and hire those people now.

Al Murray is probably the best scout in the NHL though. Brackett's been pretty damn good but Al is on a whole other level. Don't get what's stupid about my reasoning all. 

5 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I'm pretty sure Lucic, Marchand and Kessel were all Benning picks but I could be wrong. 

Al Murray is probably the best scout in the NHL though. Brackett's been pretty damn good but Al is on a whole other level. Don't get what's stupid about my reasoning all. 

On 12/29/2019 at 7:02 PM, morrissex95 said:

Lucic

Marchand

Hamilton 

Kessel

Spooner

Grzelyck 

Having read through this thread it's obvious you haven't lived through the lean years much here in Vancouver. Having watched the Canucks since Oct 1970 we have had our share of poor GMs, poor coaches,  players who mailed it in, untimely deaths, bad injuries. We often over value our players as fans. We often are overly critical of management coaches, players and the beer guy in the concession stand.

What Benning has acquired in talent is a nice balance of drafted players and veterans who are not anchors because their salaries fall off the cap as we need to sign Petterson, Hughes et al. Miller and Beagle are nos 2 and 5 in face-off %

What Benning has put together is a team that is 2 points out of first place in the division at the half way mark. If i had told you that at the beginning of the season you would have taken it.

What  Benning has done is instill some hope for the future with what more than likely is the best talent group we have ever had and most of them under 24.

What Green has done is get the most out of some of the younger players. Challenging Virtanen to get better at his craft or not play. Better than in some years where we had no choice but to play the draft picks because we had no talent.

What Green has done is find a way to get the players to play for each other.

What Green has done is get this team to the point where if Vegas does not win today and their next game and we beat Chicago HE IS the ALL Star Game coach.

I have no issue with people critiquing the management or coaching but at least compare the reality with what you are complaining about. This team finished with the worst record the last four years combined. It took a few years to draft and sign some talent to get them back to respectability. You don't go from last to first very often. St Louis did it last season but they were underachieving badly. the Canucks are on a upward trajectory and people want Benning and Green fired.

They are being led by players drafted by the Canucks for a change, Petterson, Hughes, Horvat , Boeser , Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette,....all Canucks draft picks.Never before have we assembled this many draft picks of our own taking and had success. Believe me I have seen every season.

They have players in the AHL that could fit nicely on other teams roster. They dont have to play Goldobin and his lazy ass back check because they have better options.

They have exciting Draft picks that are going to be available to compete for jobs next season and the season after that. Woo, Madden, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone. When is the last time you could say that. Or would you prefer we go back to Hodgson and Jensen?

After 40 games this year this team has 6 more wins than losses. and 46 points.

If you dont like the Ferland signing thats ok. if he stays injured we get cap relief....no loss there.

If you dont like the Myers signing he is still better than Pouliot, Del Zero, and Hutton

If you dont like the Eriksson signing , yes he is overpaid, but he is a serviceable player unlike Lucic.

The goals for are up. The Power play is 4th in the league, the PK is 16th.

Its super easy to look backwards and throw rocks. I think both Benning and Green are doing a good job. Are there things id like to see them do better yes but for the most part i like the direction the team is going.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Like 1