The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To want it now, or wait? (Discussion)

OK, so you want to be a playoff team...……………..

So we have Podkolzin, Madden, Hoglander, Juolevi, Rathbone, Brisebois, Woo, DiPietro, and our 2020 1st as none parent club assets

On the parent club we have forwards Leivo, and Pearson that could be part of a major trade

and arguably Stecher on defense

So....just for fun, lets go after Domi and Fox, 2 young studs that will be in the league for the next 7 to 8 years minimum

So to start with, lets put a player off the main club into the trade...………….

Trade #1 Domi…….Pearson

Trade #2 Fox...…….Stecher

What are you going to add to make these trades work? OK...….

Trade #1 Domi……..Pearson,...……………... Madden, 2020 1st

Trade #2 Fox...……..Stecher,...………………. Hoglander and Juolevi 

Overpayments or Underpayments?

I would think Montreal turns that down and NY Rangers may accept, but the point is...that is a lot of assets to be competitive right now and it may not be enough asset given up

or you can just be patient and wait a couple of years

I am in the wait camp!

PS...Insert any 2 players you want, as players that would make us that much better and may be obtainable

I hope everyone gets my point...….there is a lot of people upset right now, because of our great start, and the past month, but as you can see, we were pretty far back in the pack 5 years ago, and it just does not come over night...……………...

Edited by janisahockeynut

both those trades they laugh. 

You have to think about this, what team would even take players Beagle, Sutter, Pearson, Baer, Roussel, Eriksson 

Answer is NO one. I cant see any team taking those cap hits. We have overpaid our bottom end forwards and now we have to deal with it.  Hopefully Ferland works out. 

Its a hard pill to swallow paying a bunch of 4th line players 3M plus.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Patrick Jane said:

both those trades they laugh. 

You have to think about this, what team would even take players Beagle, Sutter, Pearson, Baer, Roussel, Eriksson 

Answer is NO one. I cant see any team taking those cap hits. We have overpaid our bottom end forwards and now we have to deal with it.  Hopefully Ferland works out. 

Its a hard pill to swallow paying a bunch of 4th line players 3M plus.

That is my point, big guy (person)!

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I can’t think of a single reason for Montreal to make that deal 

Neither can I, which is why I suggested putting any 2 players you want in there....

as I said above, its about what we want vs what we would get, and how much it would cost

and maybe we should not be so impatient....because we can't trade for what we need, IMO

Not without selling the farm

Personally, I think we're giving up way too much on both accounts. You don't know how Madden's going to turn out, plus the 2020 1st, and Pearson. 

Then Juolevi, and Hoglander, plus Stecher. Juolevi could still turn out to be as good or better than Fox will ever be. Plus, you're going to toss aside Hoglander? And, we also have Rathbone potentially being as good or maybe even better than Fox. 

Sorry, I wouldn't do either trade. 

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Neither can I, which is why I suggested putting any 2 players you want in there....

as I said above, its about what we want vs what we would get, and how much it would cost

and maybe we should not be so impatient....because we can't trade for what we need, IMO

Not without selling the farm

You’re targeting guys that aren’t available.  It would be like Montreal targeting Horvat.  What would that look like? 

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Personally, I think we're giving up way too much on both accounts. You don't know how Madden's going to turn out, plus the 2020 1st, and Pearson. 

Then Juolevi, and Hoglander, plus Stecher. Juolevi could still turn out to be as good or better than Fox will ever be. Plus, you're going to toss aside Hoglander? And, we also have Rathbone potentially being as good or maybe even better than Fox. 

Sorry, I wouldn't do either trade. 

Regardless of what Madden “might be”. Domi is already an effective 2C who never takes a shift off and has put up a 72 point season.  Montreal rejects that offer so fast it would make your head spin 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Regardless of what Madden “might be”. Domi is already an effective 2C who never takes a shift off and has put up a 72 point season.  Montreal rejects that offer so fast it would make your head spin 

Nothing really makes my head spin. However, as much as I really like Domi, plus him and Bo are buddy's, (and Montreal would reject the offer, most likely) Madden is developing into a rock-solid prospect, (might be a Hobey Baker finalist this year if he keeps it up) plus throwing in a 1st round pick, and Pearson, I wouldn't make that move.  

Each to their own.

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You’re targeting guys that aren’t available.  It would be like Montreal targeting Horvat.  What would that look like? 

Q...…...I don't think you are getting my point here

We need a top 6 LW and a top 2 RHD...IMO

The cost for young, players like that, from what ever team

you ask, will be much the same.....

Look at Josh Anderson in CBJ....they either do not want to get rid of him

or they are asking for an arm and a leg, and he has less than 10 points

My point is, it is just not that easy to get that quality and then multiply that 

problem, by the fact, it must fit under our cap now and for the next5 or 5 years

If you have an Idea of who and how much, I am all ears!

But I totally get, your point, Montreal is not letting Domi go, 

unless Boeser is going back, and even then, I think they would

say no

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Q...…...I don't think you are getting my point here

We need a top 6 LW and a top 2 RHD...IMO

The cost for young, players like that, from what ever team

you ask, will be much the same.....

Look at Josh Anderson in CBJ....they either do not want to get rid of him

or they are asking for an arm and a leg, and he has less than 10 points

My point is, it is just not that easy to get that quality and then multiply that 

problem, by the fact, it must fit under our cap now and for the next5 or 5 years

If you have an Idea of who and how much, I am all ears!

But I totally get, your point, Montreal is not letting Domi go, 

unless Boeser is going back, and even then, I think they would

say no

I certainly don’t have any ideas.  Honestly the only way to get the quality of players you’re talking about is to either draft and develop them, to trade A quality player who is redundant in your organization for a player who fills a different hole (think Jones for Johansson). Or trade a player that’s struggling in your system

for one who is struggling on another team (thing Galchenyuk for Domi). And hope for the best.  Worked out great for Montreal. Not so great for Arizona 

thrn of course thes offer sheets. But that’s more theoretical. Since they almost exclusively fail 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

spacer.png

That is my whole point BB

It would cost too much and most likely not be enough

But the point is, to spend that much (or more) you would want someone young and good

IMO, that is not going to happen...especially getting him on a cap friendly contract

I agree with all of you

I am just letting/wanting you all to say it so maybe people will understand 

how expensive it would be and how unlikely it would be

I am just letting you draw your own conclusions

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I certainly don’t have any ideas.  Honestly the only way to get the quality of players you’re talking about is to either draft and develop them, to trade A quality player who is redundant in your organization for a player who fills a different hole (think Jones for Johansson). Or trade a player that’s struggling in your system

for one who is struggling on another team (thing Galchenyuk for Domi). And hope for the best.  Worked out great for Montreal. Not so great for Arizona 

thrn of course thes offer sheets. But that’s more theoretical. Since they almost exclusively fail 

Ok....we are on the same page....I agree with you....and that was pretty much my point.....we are good!