The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, you’re a fan. But why the Canucks?

Rate this topic

_Henrik_

I live here, they play here

I'm originally from Winnipeg, so I was a Jets fan back in the 70s, 80s and half the 90s. Then they moved to Phoenix, and I was without a team for over 10 years. When I moved to Vancouver a dozen years ago, I became a huge Canucks fan, because I finally had a home team to cheer for again. Although, I was never as big a fan of the Jets or any team as much as I am with the Canucks. It's almost an obsession.    

I liked how they played. They were mean and nasty, while still having skill like a diet/budget version of the 'western flyers'. Then this young Russian shows up and blows the doors off everybody wearing #10 and you had to take notice.

I also cheer for Columbus and have since the heady days of Rick Nash.

I also cheer for the Bengals.

So in other words, I cheer for a bunch of teams that will never win anything.

• Upvote 1

When I first came to Canada, my family and I lived in Edmonton. Zero interest in hockey, never got into it. We moved to Vancouver a few years later in 1994, into one of the highrises up the street from the PNE. During the 1994 cup run, the entire place was going nuts. Everytime there was a canucks goal scored we could hear people just erupting from our building and from the one directly across from us. Fans would get out on their balconies to celebrate with flags and jerseys.. It was incredible to say the least. We decided to turn on a game to see what was going on and the rest is history...Fell in love with the team and the sport ever since. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

When I was 5, maybe younger or older, the Maple Leafs where the first team I knew of.  Then after that, it was either the Canadiens or the Canucks.  They are the closest NHL team to Seattle, and I really like hockey!  I've been to many Canucks games, and really enjoy going. 

I grew up with the Canucks.

I never understood the locals here that would actually cheer for other teams. I tried thinking from their perspective but it all just seems weird. It’s the hometown team! How could you not cheer for them?

Even after all the years of suffering, I could never imagine myself cheering for another team

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Upvote 1

The male figures I respected in my life, my uncle (mother's closest brother) and my father cheer for the Canucks. I had mild interest at the start because of them. Then in school lots of kids liked the Canucks and I started following them more closely. And when I first seen BMo, Big Bert, Nazzy, Ohlund and Cloutier I really started to follow this team. I am sure people will ask why I liked Cloutier and it's cause I loved his lid. It was so plain yet looked cool. 

Two words:  Pavel Bure

Watched sporadically before that. But when the team landed Pavel, I couldn't help be mesmerized by highlights on TV, and had to watch a complete game.  Watched most every game since.

Used to resent HNIC so I must have had a mental wall against really watching hockey before that. The reason is that The Bugs Bunny Roadrunner hour came on just before, (we only had CBC) one of my favourite shows, then dad had to come in and switch it over to HNIC so he could watch his precious Maple Leafs. :mad:

• Upvote 3

Grew up watching them with my dad, so now my 3 brothers and dad all talk about them when we get together. We're going to our first game as a family, minus mom, against the Rangers.

The Rangers were my dad's team before the Canucks joined because that was my grandpa's team. The both switched to van because the Canucks acquired one of their favorite players from the Rangers when the Canucks joined the league

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1