The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, you’re a fan. But why the Canucks?

Rate this topic

_Henrik_

21 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Grew up watching them with my dad, so now my 3 brothers and dad all talk about them when we get together. We're going to our first game as a family, minus mom, against the Rangers.

The Rangers were my dad's team before the Canucks joined because that was my grandpa's team. The both switched to van because the Canucks acquired one of their favorite players from the Rangers when the Canucks joined the league

Okay, I had to look this up.

Was it in 1971, where...

New York Rangers traded Wayne Connelly, Ron Stewart and

Dave Balon to Vancouver for Jim Wiste and Gary Doak?

• Haha 1

They're my home team.

And depending on where I was living at the time I have also cheered for the Victoria Cougars, BC Lions, Victoria Shamrocks, Victoria Salsa, Victoria Salmon Kings, Kamloops Blazers, Kelowna Rockets, Okanagan Sun, Kelowna Falcons, Calgary Hitmen, Victoria Vistas, Pacific FC, Vancouver Giants, Victoria Royals and there's probably a few I'm not even thinking of right now.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Okay, I had to look this up.

Was it in 1971, where...

New York Rangers traded Wayne Connelly, Ron Stewart and

Dave Balon to Vancouver for Jim Wiste and Gary Doak?

He says cesare maniago so it was a bit after they joined 

My grandpa played fastball with him and we're buds

Edited by Wanless
  • Cheers 1

NL 610?

Not many games were on TV like today. 

Had no choice, born into it in 74 and either the radio or the TV was showing the games and my dad and his dad were like zombies to it, so that’s why I’m also brain dead I guess. 

Then came the Jr. Oilers in Kamloops and I was hooked on hockey of all kinds, then I played etc. 

My first favourite Canuck was Sundström. 

I liked watching or hearing the fights with Fraser and all that good stuff. 

I used to come in from street hockey to watch the 82 playoffs, I knew it was special. Glad I did. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Well, I was born in Abbotsford, so I was kind of born into it. Growing up though, my Dad and I always had a strained relationship, but the Canucks were the 1 thing we bonded over. Kinda made it special.

Also Naslund and Bertuzzi were my favourite players as a kid too. 

• Upvote 1

yep, raised here

being a true canadian kid

absorbed hockey and became a fan of the local sports teams

(also was a new west bruins fan)

so i guess it was thrust upon me through growing up here (a bit random i guess)

and being indoctrinated into hockey somehow :P (damn peer pressure, or maybe just a good outlet as a kid)

• Upvote 1

I grew up in Ontario so no reason for me to have become a Canucks fan except for two factors:

1. Youngest of 4 brothers. They were diehard fans of Toronto, Montreal and Quebec. As the youngest it was mandatory to pick a different team to annoy them all. 

2. Pavel Bure, the most exciting player I have ever seen play the game. It was like having a cheat code. Was also a big fan of Gino and Linden but Bure was the one who inspired me to start watching. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, _Henrik_ said:

As a Swede, I’ve had my eyes on the Canucks throughout the years. And when Elias made his debut, I kind of decided to follow his journey, being from the same town and all ^_^ And this year and a half has really tied me to the team. The reasons are two: 

1. Loyalty. The money in NHL makes me puke. But in such a context, guys that choose to stick with their team (yet well-paid) prove something that can’t be bought. The Canucks must do something right to keep players like the Sedins, Näslund, Tanev, Edler etc. for so many years. 

2. Heart. As in heart beyond love of the game. The acts of Boeser taking that girl to her prom, Hughes visiting young Jonathans high school ceremony. All the stuff the Twins (“Great players, better persons”) have been engaged in. I know every NHL team make their players do tons of stuff to make the brand shine, but the Canucks just seem to be an organisation with a good vibe, attracting good persons. Plus, there have not been many fights in the games I’ve seen. (I &^@#ing hate ice-fights, simply because I’m an emotional, thinking human being who rather punish people for the right reasons, when no one’s watching.) 

(If I’m wrong and the Canucks have a history full of short-term douchebags, please don’t tell me. I’m naïve, because I want to be.)  

The Canucks really do get it right.  They implemented some new and advanced techniques to provide the best atmosphere for the players - sleep therapists, a state of the art dressing room (that even has equipment drying incorporated in to the lockers).  

This is a very long time/loyal lunchbox fanbase.  It's changing a bit with corporate clients using games to network and, as part of that, use tickets that the average Joe often can't afford now.  But hockey is huge here and we take it very seriously...it's not just a game...it's a way of life.

We've had some wonderful players...the fact that they stay on, long after the fact, and are involved in the community demonstrates that.  Lumme is a favourite of mine in that respect.  

We're glad you've chosen this team to support...Elias is a huge reason to do so.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Born and raised right here!  I have been a Canuck fan longer than I can remember (literally)  There are videos of me pretending to be Trevor Linden in which I was too young to remember it.

I know all too well what it would mean to this city if we were to win.  That's what I want more than anything.  I love it when we come together as a city!

• Like 1

I was a diehard Habs fan. Listened to Richard on the radio but didn't really know what it meant. Blackhawks stand out for some reason. The great Habs teams of the '60's were never challenged in NHL lore until Gretzky's Oilers. Greatest game of all time was the News Year game between the Habs and Red Army. The Road Runner caught a Gainey pass at full tilt, knee high. without breaking stride, cut in on Tretiak and didn't convert! A thing of absolute beauty. I sat there stunned. 

The Canucks came in '70 and although I was a split fan I shifted whole hog within a couple of years. In those days it was easier to watch a Habs game on TV. For a number of years a listened to Robson on the radio as that was all you could get. By the mid '70's I was traveling to Van on business a lot. Got to a number of games at the Colliseum. I saw Lafleur play one of his last games there. He was a thing of beauty even late in his career. 

The first Canuck teams were gutsy. Quinn was a beaut and such a leader. Of course Andre Boudrias was my fav. There was a young French kid playing for the Selkirk Saints college team that reminded me of Boudrias. What a hockey hotbed in the West Kootenays '70 to '72. Selkirk Saints college , Castlegar Rebels Junior B, Trail SmokeEaters senior hockey, and Trail SmokeEaters  Junior B. That Jr. SmokeEater team won the BC Championship in '71. Probably one of the best teams I ever watched live.  Great nights driving to Trail to watch. Carload of us headed to Trail one night and we came upon a BMW straddling the tracks.We all piled out and gave the guy a hand getting his car off the tracks. Just like a movie, as we started to move the guy we heard a train whistle. Got him off and he gives us a $20 as thanks! Back then beer was 10 or 15 cents a glass. We were all underage but the Terra Nova got all of that $20 that night after the game. 

The '70's turned me into a Canuck fan.      

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

My dad and uncle started dragging me to Canucks' games in 1954 and I have been a die hard fan ever since.My best friend's father eventually became President of the Canucks so even though I no longer live in B.C. cheering for another team was never an option.

You sure about that?  ;)