The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 21, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Oh and Marky is a true leader.  If ever a goalie is to wear a C and be a funky goalie captain it should be Markstrom.

so impressed with this guys character.

yup he's really matured into a solid player, seems like a very good person as well. I have to admit not so long ago I was wrong, didn't think he had #1 potential in him. Nice to be proven wrong. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I have to give credit and lots of it.

liked the goals.

the win was impressive.

but my favourite was every canuck player finishing every check in every zone.

this is the Canucks hockey I know.

lets crush the coil.

Wait what. Since when are we a tough team that hits?  

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup he's really matured into a solid player, seems like a very good person as well. I have to admit not so long ago I was wrong, didn't think he had #1 potential in him. Nice to be proven wrong. 

Q the trade markstrom when he has value 

With that being said he might be traded 2021 or 22 draft to make demko the #1 unless we trade demko for another Horvat 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Q the trade markstrom when he has value 

With that being said he might be traded 2021 or 22 draft to make demko the #1 unless we trade demko for another Horvat 

yup we'll worry about the goalie trade (or not) at the end of next season, so much can happen between now and then its not worth thinking about for 12-14 months. 

Jim hasn't given away expansion protection to any player, so unless Marky is really holding out for that I don't see why they won't get something done. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

After practice today:

“Motte brings a lot of energy, it’s great all being back together. We have good chemistry as a line with Schaller. We take pride in shutting lines down.” - Beagle

Our 3rd and 4th lines are pretty awesomely built for the playoffs.

Two motor lines that can chip in = yes please.

13 minutes ago, xereau said:

Our 3rd and 4th lines are pretty awesomely built for the playoffs.

Two motor lines that can chip in = yes please.

I think Jim's offseason vision was the right one, but just hasn't had a chance to materialize. The bottom six, when healthy are decent.

It's our top 6 that we haven't had a chance to witness properly. Only one of our two signings has really contributed. Once Ferland is healthy, hopefully we'll get to see what Jim had in mind.

Nice thing in my mind is, this year put us a nice step closer, and will really show us what we need to tweak, to take the next step

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Christmas came early...that was SUPER FUN.

Marky was outstanding.  Petey and JT too.   Bo, Brock, Jake, Tanev, etc.  In the third near the end Jake was hitting everything that moved...he went a little Gino.

Not going to lie....worried in the second for a bit.  Flashbacks of the last game versus the Malkinsteins.  But the team played hard and got a huge win.  Hopefully it's calmed down in here a bit.

I thought Canucks with 14 SOG and the scores ended 1-4 is very fitting for a game you attend because we all know you are a big fan of #14 -_-

I like this Canuck team too.

37 games 40pts.

I think Canucks need Around 94ish pts to make the playoffs.
Canucks are Still learning. If they do make the playoffs it’s because they put winning streaks together.

I hope they make the playoffs, they will be a rolling winning team that’s ready.

Go Canucks Goo

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

They are amongst the best players in the world. We have a cap in place so frankly each team is not allowed to effectively have a roster of the best players in the world. 

there are world class players playing in several international leagues that simply are under contract or chose not to play in the NHL, in addition some are at a level that they are better than bottom 6 guys in the nhl but the cap won’t allow space for teams to fit them in 

the biggest issue with teams under the cap nowadays is finding price effective bottom 6 forwards or bottom 2 d men 

Maybe.  That said cap stretched teams seem to do it with some regularity.   I do get what your saying - we have some of the best in the business and we've paid for that luxury.... soon we will find out how small the margins is between a player like Beagle, Sutter and even LE and McEwen.  For our sake let's hope it's not very big.   

Last year a lot of older vets signed cheap deals to keep playing.   Perry.   Well he's a former Hart trophy winner ... but what about Spezza.   These guys want to keep playing, before they'd get a decent retirement contract- now it's one and done - maybe rinse and repeat.  That's how close the talent level is. 

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.  That said cap stretched teams seem to do it with some regularity.   I do get what your saying - we have some of the best in the business and we've paid for that luxury.... soon we will find out how small the margins is between a player like Beagle, Sutter and even LE and McEwen.  For our sake let's hope it's not very big.   

Last year a lot of older vets signed cheap deals to keep playing.   Perry.   Well he's a former Hart trophy winner ... but what about Spezza.   These guys want to keep playing, before they'd get a decent retirement contract- now it's one and done - maybe rinse and repeat.  That's how close the talent level is. 

Yes the cap has forced a handful of the former higher priced guys that are on the downside of their careers out of the game 

look at kovalchuk 

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Gaudette is a steal of a pick in the 5th round ...How do you not love this kid...

I just swapped out Alex Galcheyuk to pick up Gaudette in my pool. 

Out > Top 10 Draft pick. In with the real deal!

(Were they the same draft year?  I think Gaudette is a year younger...)

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I just swapped out Alex Galcheyuk to pick up Gaudette in my pool. 

Out > Top 10 Draft pick. In with the real deal!

(Were they the same draft year?  I think Gaudette is a year younger...)

Galchenyuk drafted 3rd overall by MTL in 2012

Gaudette drafted 149th overall in 2015

Gaudette is more than 2.5 years younger.