The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Morning Confessional at the Church of V

Rate this topic

VforVasili

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I have always been faithful. We will continue to see his ascent into greatness. 

In fact I would like to help spread the word.

I would like to apply to be ordained as...I dunno...a 'bishop'? 

Granted. Seek out some sinners for the church and you shall be named a Bishop. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have always been faithful. We will continue to see his ascent into greatness. 

In fact I would like to help spread the word.

I would like to apply to be ordained as...I dunno...a 'bishop'? 

Virtanen Witness.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:
On 9/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, canuck2288 said:

Why the “hate”?

-lazy

-underachiever

-immature

-out of shape

that is a start

It took a long time for Jake to see the light 

if he had turned the corner a year or even 2 years ago he would be dominant by now

but it’s better later than never 

you need to realize the frustration that came from many fans is all of us k we what is potential was. Seemed like he was the only one that didn’t 

that said, I have not been a fan of how Green deployed him. green put him on line and depth that was not fitting his game. I feel Green throttled him. Sometimes with a player like Jake you need to give him the top 6 chance and ice time and he will then respond. 

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

It took a long time for Jake to see the light 

if he had turned the corner a year or even 2 years ago he would be dominant by now

but it’s better later than never 

you need to realize the frustration that came from many fans is all of us k we what is potential was. Seemed like he was the only one that didn’t 

that said, I have not been a fan of how Green deployed him. green put him on line and depth that was not fitting his game. I feel Green throttled him. Sometimes with a player like Jake you need to give him the top 6 chance and ice time and he will then respond. 

No justifications are needed in the eyes of this church. If you wish to be absolved you need only ask. 

Through the ministry of this church I grant you pardon and peace. Go forth and embrace the greatness of Virtanen unsullied by your former doubts. 

12 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

No justifications are needed in the eyes of this church. If you wish to be absolved you need only ask. 

Through the ministry of this church I grant you pardon and peace. Go forth and embrace the greatness of Virtanen unsullied by your former doubts. 

Ways to go yet to be anywhere near greatness 

but it’s a start 

will check in with you in a year 

maybe when he starts to outplay Ehlers 

Very similar trajectory as Tom Wilson. He can be our Tom Wilson when we have our next cup run. I see him as Wilson, but less of an “idiot” when it comes to hits. I like how in last few games, he has been hitting but also those hits were clean hits, shoulder to shoulder and didn’t take a run at players for dumb penalties.

forgive me for I have sinned,  I did call jake fat out of shape  booze hound  , dumb   and  with no hockey sense but I did it for jake so he could finally see the light  , but hallelujah brother , jake has risen from hotdog eating jake to shotgun jake  ,   he has been crucified   been shunned  and rocks hurled at him  ( I did throw a few pebbles) but I still believed he could show us promise in the land of cdc  .   I have become wiser in all this  and I hope  other sinners will see this too and lay off joulevi  for the love of god  or you suffer the same fate  again       amen    praise benning  

5 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Flashes of greatness supported by good linemates that don't completely mask the fact that his decision making is sometimes completely awful. Very rarely does JV make a good play that he can finish on his own which stands out when you have guys like JT Miller who are constantly doing little things to drive offense.

If JV played most games like he did last night, he would be amazing. It's a shame he shows up like that once or twice a month. I wish he would show up more.

It’s not an easy task to show up like that everynight. Even players like Tom Wilson can’t show up like that on most given nights. However every other game he has that in him I believe. This isn’t just a good couple weeks for Jake. He’s been relatively consistent all year. Pretty hard starting the year with 9 to 10 mins a game. He’s given Green confidence and in turn himself confidence and is playing 15 mins a game hence more offensive production. His hockey IQ has been the nicest surprise. I can think or a couple defensive plays and passes he’s made that wouldn’t have happened in past years. What really sticks out in my head was there was a odd man rush and instead of Jake shooting to score he banked it off the goalies pad for a rebound goal 

13 minutes ago, the grinder said:

forgive me for I have sinned,  I did call jake fat out of shape  booze hound  , dumb   and  with no hockey sense but I did it for jake so he could finally see the light  , but hallelujah brother , jake has risen from hotdog eating jake to shotgun jake  ,   he has been crucified   been shunned  and rocks hurled at him  ( I did throw a few pebbles) but I still believed he could show us promise in the land of cdc  .   I have become wiser in all this  and I hope  other sinners will see this too and lay off joulevi  for the love of god  or you suffer the same fate  again       amen    praise benning  

Bless you my child. Your sins have been absolved. 

@VforVirtanen I would make a good attack dog

I have nothing to repent!  

You who are the sinners tho- some of those fellas on sportsnet650.  Can't remember off the top of my head who exactly, maybe Irf Gaffar or Dan Riccio, but they were constantly on the trade Jake train.  Same with satir shah.  

Someone go troll them on Twitter.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

One thing I've noticed over the past couple of years is how good Jake can be in the neutral zone defensively.  He's got the speed and the size to slash over to the weak side and that presence seems to take away a lot of time and space for opponents.  Almost like a linebacker of sorts.  When Jake is on top of his game it's one of his key strengths.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Now for jakey boy the hardest step will be from going to a 13 -14 min a player with 40 points to a 60 point 18 min a night player . That jump is substantial but I think he can do it. What he has shown this season compared to the ones prior is consistency .

What about the 20-24 min player with 100 points jump.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I'll be honest, him showing up to camp unprepared frustrated me. Super stoked to see things going his way, the key here is maturity and he's started to understand how to be a pro.

Just what is it that Jake did or didn't do?  I didn't hear from a reliable source what it was myself.  Maybe I just missed it.

He is 3 lbs lighter this year, is that not making a goal?  

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Now for jakey boy the hardest step will be from going to a 13 -14 min a player with 40 points to a 60 point 18 min a night player . That jump is substantial but I think he can do it. What he has shown this season compared to the ones prior is consistency .

I thought Kelly Hruedy talk some real sense last about everyone gets so amped on how good young kids entering the league can be, but forget a lot of players take more time to develop.  I think JT Miller is a good comparison in this regard.

Jake is getting there.  As long as he can stay focused and keep gradually improving he can be a key part of this team.  Burke talked about hitting more when he's not producing but id be just as happy with sound defensive play.