The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Morning Confessional at the Church of V

Rate this topic

VforVasili

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I'll be honest, him showing up to camp unprepared frustrated me. Super stoked to see things going his way, the key here is maturity and he's started to understand how to be a pro.

That's understandable because as fans we want to see him at his best.  As fans though we can also maybe not understand just how hard of a grind it is to be a top athlete.   Maybe last summer was a bit of a dip compared to the summer before, but I feel like that's just part of Jake hopefully growing to become an elite athlete.  He had a dip and TG got on him rightfully so.  Not taking time off is going to be the biggest hurdle for Jake IMO.  

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I thought Kelly Hruedy talk some real sense last about everyone gets so amped on how good young kids entering the league can be, but forget a lot of players take more time to develop.  I think JT Miller is a good comparison in this regard.

Jake is getting there.  As long as he can stay focused and keep gradually improving he can be a key part of this team.  Burke talked about hitting more when he's not producing but id be just as happy with sound defensive play. 

He's engaged, has a lot of take aways and now has a much more intuitive approach to his neutral / d zone positioning.

He used to get lost and find himself off in no man's land, but not anymore.

On after hours, Jake alluded to now knowing he can't be running around looking to finish every check, even though he wants to. I think that desire to hit is maybe what drew him out of position so frequently earlier in his career.

In junior he probably never found himself too far behind the play when chasing hits because he was very fast in that league. A couple steps make a huge difference in the NHL and I'm happy he's learning to lick his spots better. Still would like to see him hit more, but he's still learning to walk that line.

Another thing to point out, look where he's producing points. It feels like most of them are coming from the LW and he's now given more rope to play on that side.

Green used to bench him for venturing off to the left. Maybe he wanted Jake to really get the RW as a pro, round him out, before allowing for Jake to get crafty again.

He seems to see the ice far better from the LW and buries his shots from that side more consistently.

I'm glad it all seems to be paying off now. Can't wait to see what kind of damage Jake does in a playoff series. Kid is going to be dynamite

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

He's engaged, has a lot of take aways and now has a much more intuitive approach to his neutral / d zone positioning.

He used to get lost and find himself off in no man's land, but not anymore.

On after hours, Jake alluded to now knowing he can't be running around looking to finish every check, even though he wants to. I think that desire to hit is maybe what drew him out of position so frequently earlier in his career.

In junior he probably never found himself too far behind the play when chasing hits because he was very fast in that league. A couple steps make a huge difference in the NHL and I'm happy he's learning to lick his spots better. Still would like to see him hit more, but he's still learning to walk that line.

Another thing to point out, look where he's producing points. It feels like most of them are coming from the LW and he's now given more rope to play on that side.

Green used to bench him for venturing off to the left. Maybe he wanted Jake to really get the RW as a pro, round him out, before allowing for Jake to get crafty again.

He seems to see the ice far better from the LW and buries his shots from that side more consistently.

I'm glad it all seems to be paying off now. Can't wait to see what kind of damage Jake does in a playoff series. Kid is going to be dynamite

that first bit is very true, he's not standing still or looking like a lost fart anymore. 

you're right about left side Jake too - this is his goal map for this year, centre-to-left seems to be his happy place. 

image.png.8d41bbf3a74437993943a0128e7f524b.png

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that first bit is very true, he's not standing still or looking like a lost fart anymore. 

you're right about left side Jake too - this is his goal map for this year, centre-to-left seems to be his happy place. 

image.png.8d41bbf3a74437993943a0128e7f524b.png

I'd like to see a few more from right on top or in the crease.

Kids got trees for legs and a huge butt. Park that ass right in front, Jake.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

I'd like to see a few more from right on top or in the crease.

Kids got trees for legs and a huge butt. Park that ass right in front, Jake.

everyone's talk today about Jake made me think of this 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

I was frustrated when the reports were coming out of him not meeting off season goals. My frustration was out of love in that I only want the best for Jake. I told myself to preach patience and wait for the real games to start, and long season grind to begin, until I passed judgment.

I admit to my sin and will continue to revel in his journey to greatness at each turn while he is in a Canuck sweater

• Cheers 1

I feel like we have all grown as people today. Jake forgives you all. 

Confessing your sins is good for the soul. Now if only you would all stop doing that other reprehensible thing you do while alone at your computer, my job here would be done, and I could retire. 

I've been patient with him and a big supporter all along. It was and still  would be a mistake to trade him. He is going to be a beastly difference maker once we reach the playoffs! He hits, hes a fast skater (think shorties), accurate shot, and can dig pucks out. We havent seen his best yet, the ceiling is still to come.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, rychicken said:

why isn't this thread moved to the individual player thread?

Because:

- The mods thought it was entertaining enough to leave alone

- It’s a Sunday with no game and not a lot else to talk about

- The spiritual healing for our the sinners who called out Jake needs attending to

- They haven’t gotten around moving it to white noise and will tomorrow. 

Take your pick. 

• Cheers 2

He has made some progress this year yes, but you're making it seem like he is ripping it up at a PPG pace and demolishing everyone in his path. I am sure he will be a solid bottom 9 player (even just for his size and skating ability alone). HOWEVER, will he live up to his 6th overall pick status? Doubt it. The difference with the top end guys is the hockey IQ. Not something you just acquire overnight at the age of 23. 

Edited by RRypien37

I beg forgiveness!  I don't usually trash our players, but I do know I was frustrated with him missing his targets at training camp.  Thrilled to see him bring it this season, and nice to see him improving year over year.  Testament to the coaching staff and their ability to bring out his skill levels and teach him the "right way" to play.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

I beg forgiveness!  I don't usually trash our players, but I do know I was frustrated with him missing his targets at training camp.  Thrilled to see him bring it this season, and nice to see him improving year over year.  Testament to the coaching staff and their ability to bring out his skill levels and teach him the "right way" to play.  

You are forgiven my child. You have seen the light and come back to Jake. That is all that matters now. You are cleansed of your mistake. 

Edited by VforVirtanen

15 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

He has made some progress this year yes, but you're making it seem like he is ripping it up at a PPG pace and demolishing everyone in his path. I am sure he will be a solid bottom 9 player (even just for his size and skating ability alone). HOWEVER, will he live up to his 6th overall pick status? Doubt it. The difference with the top end guys is the hockey IQ. Not something you just acquire overnight at the age of 23. 

Forgive him my flock. He bears an honourable name and is under the influence of the great decievers. The ones on talk radio. Those guys.