The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks Vs Oilers, December 23, 2019 -- 3 for 3/Holiday edition

Rate this topic

therodigy

I don’t think this is a knock on Benn. He was brought in to be a third pairing dman and Fanta was insurance. I really like Been but I think he was playing too many minutes. Having Benn as a 7th now is pretty sweet if you ask me 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Fantenberg is also playing with a serious edge right now which Green likes. Benn could stand to be a bit more physical and in your face at times.

I agree. And Fanta has been pretty decent all around. Sleeper signing that’s looking pretty good 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I think this will be an easy win as Oilers doesn't have the depth as we. 

We score from nearly every position and I hope Green has spoken with the refs so Nurse can't go for another Oscar. 

SHOULD certainly be a win, it's simple -- just keep out of the box and keep those two off the scoresheet.  Nurse with an embellishment penalty on which the Canucks score the GWG would be hockey justice, sending the Coil home with the Canucks just two points behind and with two games in hand.

Congrats to Fanta, nice to have more physicality in the lineup, and he's a bit better at the offensive end as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

SHOULD certainly be a win, it's simple -- just keep out of the box and keep those two off the scoresheet.  Nurse with an embellishment penalty on which the Canucks score the GWG would be hockey justice, sending the Coil home with the Canucks just two points behind and with two games in hand.

Congrats to Fanta, nice to have more physicality in the lineup, and he's a bit better at the offensive end as well.

Either that or he successfully draws the penalty but resulted in a Canucks SHG as the game winner :)

12 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

SHOULD certainly be a win, it's simple -- just keep out of the box and keep those two off the scoresheet.

Simple to keep those two off the scoresheet? :lol:

Why has no team been able to do it then?

And good luck staying out of the box. You look at McDavid the wrong way and it’s a penalty. Teams with players like him get special treatment. Better get used to it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

And good luck staying out of the box. You look at McDavid the wrong way and it’s a penalty. Teams with players like him get special treatment. Better get used to it.

Didn't Dorcett keep McDavid in control before he had to quit playing

And that being said - what has ever happened to Dorcett" Hope he at the game  for Sedin night

2 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Didn't Dorcett keep McDavid in control before he had to quit playing

And that being said - what has ever happened to Dorcett" Hope he at the game  for Sedin night

He helped shut him down one game yes. But McDavid and Draisaitl are on a pace not seen in the NHL in decades.

We will not shut them down. If they’re lucky they can slow them down by getting in their face and throwing them off their game. I’d like to see Virtanen do what he did to Malkin last game. Just stay in his face all game. That’s the most you can do.

And Dorsett should be there for sure. Very well liked by the Sedins.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Held one off and the other to two points the last time the Canucks won  ":lol:"

Have a Snickers for your anality, DeNiro.  Doesn't mean they can't/won't get anything, but you focus on them and they will lose -- Montreal failed and that's why they didn't win.  Other teams are figuring them out, that's part of why they're slipping in the standings, so they're the ones that "better get used to it".

51 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

I’m happy with Fanta. Excellent addition for depth. 

^ Pretty tough feat for the players when the team is expected to back right into our goalie, collapsing, while McJesus and co come in with speed, etc. Totally the wrong approach against the Coilers. 

I hope not to see highlights showing the Coilers scoring from the perimeter against flat footed, collapsed Canuck, but it won’t surprise me. East to West passing and one timers, etc. 

If we see our defending forwards tight to the points tonight, I’d call that progress and a shot at winning. If not, I expect the Coilers to set up and take over with their passing and shooting. 

The other leading indicator for me is the surrendering of the puck on a dump/chase play, or the ripping low % shots from wide, hoping for rebounds. Not tonight, not against these guys. 

Do not surrender the puck tonight with low percentage chances or expect to suffer the quick-up capacity of this Coiler’s transition game to their forwards who will take every inch of ice our D will surrender them as they collapse.  

I’d rather match them in a shootout affair tonight than passively anticipate their transition game. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I have to go to Walmart for my Dad after work.

If I'm not here by puck drop, send help....the Walmartians have likely abducted me.   

Thats better than going to Costco today.  I got within 200 meters of the parking lot and I turned around when I saw the lineups!

• Upvote 1