The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hunter Shinkaruk signs with Red Star Kunlun (KHL)

HC Kunlun Red Star is a Chinese ice hockey club that joined the Kontinental Hockey League prior to the 2016–17 season.

General manager: Scotty MacPherson

Head coach: Curt Fraser

Owner(s): Billy Ngok

Captain: Brandon Yip

Locations: Beijing, China

Philip Larsen plays D for them.

Good luck Hunter, you'll love Beijing!

Edited by 6string

Best of luck to Hunter.

Sticking in the show as a top 6 forward ( skill guy ) is next to impossible.   So many first round picks can not even have a career in the NHL.....

So best of luck to Hunter in the 2nd best hockey league in the world. Hope . he lights it up and has an amazing experience playing hockey in another country . / culture.

Seems like a smart move for him to make at the point he is right now in his career. 

Good thing Gillis grabbed Horvat at 9 because that 2013 draft was atrocious for us.

Hate to be captain hindsight but a lot of people were calling for local defenseman Shea Theodore at that spot. Could have gone a long ways in helping rebuild our D.

Oh well good luck hunter! I’ll always remember how emotional his dad was when he saw him score his first goal. Great moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Mostly Canadian players only 1 Chinese born player, I’ve never heard of any of them. I have to be honest , I didn’t even know there was a Chinese based KHL team.  

there’s a ton of recognizable names on the team. Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Yip (from maple ridge I believe), Griffin Reinhart, Devante Smith-Pelly, Wojtek Wolski (played several years in the NHL not long ago), former members of the Canucks organization in Adam Cracknell and Brendan DeFazio, Peter Bondra and Chris Chelios’ sons, and a slightly less recognizable name in Spencer Foo. If I’m not mistaken, he was a highly sought after college UFA a couple years back. I think he ended up in Calgary? 

almost missed Andrej Sustr. Most recently with Tampa I believe. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

there’s a ton of recognizable names on the team. Gilbert Brulé, Brandon Yip (from maple ridge I believe), Griffin Reinhart, Devante Smith-Pelly, Wojtek Wolski (played several years in the NHL not long ago), former members of the Canucks organization in Adam Cracknell and Brendan DeFazio, Peter Bondra and Chris Chelios’ sons, and a slightly less recognizable name in Spencer Foo. If I’m not mistaken, he was a highly sought after college UFA a couple years back. I think he ended up in Calgary? 

almost missed Andrej Sustr. Most recently with Tampa I believe. 

Foo left North America so he could give himself an opportunity to play in the olympics.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Good thing Gillis grabbed Horvat at 9 because that 2013 draft was atrocious for us.

Hate to be captain hindsight but a lot of people were calling for local defenseman Shea Theodore at that spot. Could have gone a long ways in helping rebuild our D.

Oh well good luck hunter! I’ll always remember how emotional his dad was when he saw him score his first goal. Great moment.

I made that point in 2013.  The '' its a waste to draft a D, instead of a forward'' crew was still majority rules on CDC. At that time?  

Y'know, we can draft a Norris trophy winner, lock stock and barrel.  They are always available in the 2knd or 3rd round, right?

Aaaaand funny enopugh?  Now that we have finally expended some lottery pick on D. We have a guy who appears he will be a Norris candidate; Quinn Hughes!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

I remember when we drafted this guy and all the hype surrounding him.

Ugh.

That preseason goal he scored against the Sharks I believe was so pretty I thought for sure we landed something special

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, smokes said:

I can't believe how angry I was when we traded him.

You are not alone .............

225 pages of people losing their minds about trading Hunter Shinkaruk. :frantic:

Can't say the fan base isn't passionate. Nutty but passionate.

A sampling of some comments from just the first page ....

WTF!

Has to be something else coming our way one would think.

wtf is this.

No fing way......

FIRE BENNING if true!

If it's a straight up trade I really have a hard time seeing how this is good.

This can't be a real report.... Or I'll guage my eyeballs out

I AM &^@#ING CHOKED.

JB strikes again. I might actually cry. 

BENNING GTFO OUT HERE. IM &^@#ING DONE. NO WONDER WHY OWNERSHIP PULLS THE PLUG ON SOME DEALS.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 3