The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBC suspends Jeremy Roenick for inappropriate comments

Rate this topic

grandmaster

On 12/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, BPA said:

Dumb friends exist regardless of age. :lol:

I can laugh it off cuz it's an understanding between them and me.  And it's a private conversation.  If it's not a close personal relationship, then most likely rude comments are crossing the line.

In JR case, he was on the radio.

Exactly. Thx. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Jeremy Roenick dismissed by NBC for inappropriate comments: 'Very disappointed and angry'

eremy Roenick’s suspension from NBC Sports in December for comments he made about co-workers Kathryn Tappen and Patrick Sharp while a guest on Barstool Sports’ Spittin’ Chiclets podcast appears to have concluded today with a dismissal.

The former NHL star and broadcaster posted a video on Wednesday with the caption “What a Joke!!” in which he announces he will not be returning to NBC Sports.

He states, “I'm very disappointed and angry today” but adds that he will not be gone for long, “I’ll be back better and more motivated to bring you the best entertainment and the best that I have for the game of hockey.”

Roenick made comments on the Dec. 19 episode of the popular hockey podcast in which he described a vacation he took to Portugal with his wife and Tappen, where on multiple occasions people asked if the three of them were together and described joking with them about engaging in group sex.

“I play it off like we’re all going to bed together every night, the three of us. If it really came to fruition, that would really be good, but it’s never going to happen.” Roenick said.

Later in the episode, Roenick spoke about Sharp’s physical appearance as well.

“He is so beautiful, I’d have to think about it if he asked me,” the 49-year-old said. “I wouldn’t say no right away.”

Roenick played 20 seasons in the NHL and had been an analyst for NBC Sports since 2010.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/jeremy-roenick-dismissed-by-nbc-for-inappropriate-comments-im-very-disappointed-and-angry-195329124.html

48 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Good on JR for not backing down.  

What the NHL doesn't need is another plain vanilla automaton parroting cliche phrases.  

Be perfect if he can take over the "Coach's Corner" slot.  

Bieksa could do that gig in his sleep without the problematic baggage. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Jeremy Roenick dismissed by NBC for inappropriate comments: 'Very disappointed and angry'

eremy Roenick’s suspension from NBC Sports in December for comments he made about co-workers Kathryn Tappen and Patrick Sharp while a guest on Barstool Sports’ Spittin’ Chiclets podcast appears to have concluded today with a dismissal.

The former NHL star and broadcaster posted a video on Wednesday with the caption “What a Joke!!” in which he announces he will not be returning to NBC Sports.

He states, “I'm very disappointed and angry today” but adds that he will not be gone for long, “I’ll be back better and more motivated to bring you the best entertainment and the best that I have for the game of hockey.”

Roenick made comments on the Dec. 19 episode of the popular hockey podcast in which he described a vacation he took to Portugal with his wife and Tappen, where on multiple occasions people asked if the three of them were together and described joking with them about engaging in group sex.

“I play it off like we’re all going to bed together every night, the three of us. If it really came to fruition, that would really be good, but it’s never going to happen.” Roenick said.

Later in the episode, Roenick spoke about Sharp’s physical appearance as well.

“He is so beautiful, I’d have to think about it if he asked me,” the 49-year-old said. “I wouldn’t say no right away.”

Roenick played 20 seasons in the NHL and had been an analyst for NBC Sports since 2010.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/jeremy-roenick-dismissed-by-nbc-for-inappropriate-comments-im-very-disappointed-and-angry-195329124.html

image.png.8523d6f0d6f71a845b97038c880bac7a.png

Mr. Pink is not amused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Good on JR for not backing down.  

What the NHL doesn't need is another plain vanilla automaton parroting cliche phrases.  

Be perfect if he can take over the "Coach's Corner" slot.  

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/jeremy-roenick-apologizes-insensitive-comments-204356950.html

Looks to me like he backed down, and it didn't work.

• 5 months later...

Jeremy Roenick Sues NBC Sports for Anti-Straight Discrimination in Firing

Dave Nemetz
TVLine.comJuly 17, 2020
11e8d880a62e527cc5920e6498ec2cf0

Hockey commentator Jeremy Roenick is firing back at NBC Sports, accusing his former employer of discriminating against him for being straight.

Roenick was fired by NBC Sports back in February after he made sexually suggestive remarks about colleagues Kathryn Tappen and Patrick Sharp on a podcast. Now Roenick has filed a lawsuit against the network in New York Supreme Court, claiming wrongful termination and discrimination based on gender or sexual orientation, according to our sister site Variety.

Roenick’s lawsuit states that figure skating commentator Johnny Weir made “colorful commentary” about skaters’ body parts for NBC Sports during the 2018 Winter Olympics, and when Roenick asked his supervisor about that, the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.” Roenick’s suit also points to a promotional video featuring Weir and on-air partner Tara Lipinski that included vulgar language; Weir and Lipinski were not suspended or fired.

Roenick also claims that he was fired because the network was retaliating against him for his support of President Donald Trump. When he asked for permission to speak at the 2016 Republican National Convention, he alleges he was told: “You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record.”

A nine-time NHL All Star who retired in 2009, Roenick joined the NBC Sports team as a commentator and studio analyst the following year. Roenick was suspended and eventually fired for comments he made on a podcast about Tappen and Sharp. Roenick recalled a trip to Portugal that he and his wife Tracey took with Tappen and implied he wanted to have a threesome with her. He also called Sharp “so beautiful” and added that “I wouldn’t say no right away” if Sharp invited him to bed.

Anti Straight discrimination. Good luck with that one JR.

Edited by nuckin_futz

I think there was more behind the scenes than just one thing. That was something Chiclets pointed out & I trust they would have some insight. I'm sure all these things play some part in the pie.

JR made mistakes in this whole thing there's no doubt. But I actually like him being apart of the media. He has an intense passion/love for it and brings some personality to the game. As long as your not an 'evil person', I can respect the love/passion for the game (that I share), even when someone makes mistakes or has (allowable) views that I disagree with. 

He was a great player, had alot of money, liked to party, and was an attractive figure. He had that frat party mentality I'm sure. But its not that uncommon. Lots of these people exist in all walks of life. Its just the one's that have the skill to be pro athletes and make money get put under a spotlight & are held to a tight standard, obviously. And as they should be to an extent, it comes with the gig.

They've gotta learn to manage that side of themselves & maintain the professionalism it takes to be an athlete/figure at the highest level. Sometimes they can't, that stuff spills over, and they get themselves in trouble. Just look at Virtanen here for example. 

I'm not condoning anything he's said specifically, or his views - which I don't even know what they are, and I'm not going to assume I can sum him up as a person based off Twitter like some - but I'm not going to pile on. Hopefully he's learned something from it, improves, and can find himself a role somewhere again.