The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

All of you guys who think its Green who is coaching the changes in the way the 1st line is entering the zone in possession need to do some more watching.

Those plays are being generated by the line itself, and primarily Pettersson.

That is what is allowing them to score those even strength goals... not Green's non-existent coaching.

Lets take a look at two examples:

December 19th win versus Golden Knights.

Pettersson scores his 16th to keep the Canucks ahead.  He does it on a set play entering the zone.

You can see it here at 2:45 of the highlights:

Pettersson breaks out on the left wing BEHIND Boeser who is ahead of him on the right wing.  EP40 makes a bounce pass off the boards BEHIND Boeser to keep it away from the opposing D... Boeser takes the pass into the zone IN POSSESSION.  He then goes cross ice back to Pettersson who roofs it past Fleury.

Now look at last night's game versus LA:

Another breakout from the zone.  This time its Boeser who is carrying the puck, BEHIND Miller who is ahead on the right, with Pettersson ahead on the left.  Boeser makes a bounce pass to Miller off the boards.... same behind the player pass as Pettersson did against Vegas.  Miller goes back across ice to Pettersson who scores.  Play happens at 6:45 of the tape:

Both of these goals came out of set plays... which were originated by Pettersson... not Green.  How do I know?  Because you haven't seen any other line in the Canucks try this play.  If Green was coaching this, he would have started in the pre-season, but this play has been developed only this month.

Next play:

Entering the O-zone, with the puck carrier pushing back the D as far as possible and then dropping the puck to a follow up player is a standard NHL play.  Most teams use this play all the time.  Its a standard.  Vancouver uses it rarely under Green's system.

The last few games Pettersson has been trying to develop this enter the zone and drop pass for his line.  I can't show you those hilights because the play hasn't worked... no goals because the timing hasn't been right.  Tonight it did work, although the guys on the ice with Pettersson were not Boeser and Miller.  It was a line change and Motte picked up the drop pass instead.  Watch it at 4:17. of the above highlight package.  It was a little lucky, the puck deflected to Motte, but Pettersson intentionally set up the play.

Like I said, you don't see the rest of the Canucks lines using this play... even though it is a standard play in the NHL.  That's cause it doesn't fit Green's system, he emphasizes safety not creativity, he doesn't like anything which potentially exposes the team to a counter.  So he pushes for shooting the puck in.

The point I am making is that these creative plays are coming out of the players, not Green.  If Green was driving the creative plays, then you'd see Horvat's line trying them as well... but you don't.

A good NHL coach provides his lines with a whole series of set plays... the players can choose which one they use depending on the situation.  If they have no other choice, they dump and chase.  Green doesn't do this.... The Canucks are one of the least fluid teams in the NHL when it comes to having a variety of plays they can call on to allow zone entry.

The only line on the Canucks who should be using Dump and Chase as their go to plays is Beagle and the 4th line... their role is to waste time in the opposition zone anyway.  Even the third line of the Canucks should not be using Dump and Chase more than 50% of their entries.... they have more skill than that.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Stay tuned for Canucks highlights on TSN...  22min into Sportscenter.

Edit sorry more like 33min into Sportscenter right after World Juniors, Leafs highlights, Leafs postgame, Leafs analysis, Hab highlights, Habs postgame, commercials, US college football highlights, Raptor highlights, Raptor postgame. 

What a joke.

it is, but it comes part and parcel with TSN being the rights holder broadcaster for those 2. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to sit through Jets and Sens highlights as well.

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That's why I included them !!!  I like how the Bruins had built a sustainable model but as a Canuck fan and despite the regular season success, I am glad they have not won the cup since 2011  !  

3 cups, 2 cups, 1cup.  I think I would take any of those models.

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All of you guys who think its Green who is coaching the changes in the way the 1st line is entering the zone in possession need to do some more watching.

That is what is allowing them to score those even strength goals... not Green's non-existent coaching.

Pettersson scores his 16th to keep the Canucks ahead.  He does it on a set play entering the zone.

Pettersson breaks out on the left wing BEHIND Boeser who is ahead of him on the right wing.  EP40 makes a bounce pass off the boards BEHIND Boeser to keep it away from the opposing D... Boeser takes the pass into the zone IN POSSESSION.  He then goes cross ice back to Pettersson who roofs it past Fleury.

Another breakout from the zone.  This time its Boeser who is carrying the puck, BEHIND Miller who is ahead on the right, with Pettersson ahead on the left.  Boeser makes a bounce pass to Miller off the boards.... same behind the player pass as Pettersson did against Vegas.  Miller goes back across ice to Pettersson who scores.  Play happens at 6:45 of the tape:

Both of these goals came out of set plays... which were originated by Pettersson... not Green.  How do I know?  Because you haven't seen any other line in the Canucks try this play.  If Green was coaching this, he would have started in the pre-season, but this play has been developed only this month.

Next play:

Entering the O-zone, with the puck carrier pushing back the D as far as possible and then dropping the puck to a follow up player is a standard NHL play.  Most teams use this play all the time.  Its a standard.  Vancouver uses it rarely under Green's system.

The last few games Pettersson has been trying to develop this enter the zone and drop pass for his line.  I can't show you those hilights because the play hasn't worked... no goals because the timing hasn't been right.  Tonight it did work, although the guys on the ice with Pettersson were not Boeser and Miller.  It was a line change and Motte picked up the drop pass instead.  Watch it at 4:17. of the above highlight package.  It was a little lucky, the puck deflected to Motte, but Pettersson intentionally set up the play.

Like I said, you don't see the rest of the Canucks lines using this play... even though it is a standard play in the NHL.  That's cause it doesn't fit Green's system, he emphasizes safety not creativity, he doesn't like anything which potentially exposes the team to a counter.  So he pushes for shooting the puck in.

The point I am making is that these creative plays are coming out of the players, not Green.  If Green was driving the creative plays, then you'd see Horvat's line trying them as well... but you don't.

A good NHL coach provides his lines with a whole series of set plays... the players can choose which one they use depending on the situation.  If they have no other choice, they dump and chase.  Green doesn't do this.... The Canucks are one of the least fluid teams in the NHL when it comes to having a variety of plays they can call on to allow zone entry.

The only line on the Canucks who should be using Dump and Chase as their go to plays is Beagle and the 4th line... their role is to waste time in the opposition zone anyway.  Even the third line of the Canucks should not be using Dump and Chase more than 50% of their entries.... they have more skill than that.

You  really hate Green and have never played organized hockey before, hey?

11 hours ago, Tystick said:

Lol guys, Horvat and Baertschi had chemistry.

Just saying, we have two talented guys in Utica.

Worth a shot.

It's not like Pearson and Eriksson are gelling with Horvat

Exactly

If a player doesn't use his linemates, then are the linemates bad?

Bo doing things individually could be his limitation....he needs to use his linemates more by setting up plays rather than making individual bull rushes and playing dump and chase hockey. He needs to be smarter...good players make their linemates better.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Jeez the Pacific Division is wide-open. 

If you think our division is wide open take a look at Group B in the World Juniors: Canada, Russia, United States, Germany and Czech Republic. For the first time ever all 5 teams are at 1-1 after 2 games. Crazy upsets everywhere.

Looking forward to a good game to wash the Canada v Russia game  bad taste away. Hope we win, I’ll be watching!

• Like 1

Next play:

A for effort. 

Agree with a lot of it. 

Next play:

Change the f'n record already

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Not sure how appropriate it was he mentioned the passing of Markstrom's father...but maybe thats just me. I believe Oake lost a son a few years ago but I've never been a fan of his.

Yeah, I thought it was classless. Oake got personal on Marky for a news comment instead of respecting a persons privacy. He tried to bust Marky down for an emotional response to further his own career. Slimy and disgusting. You could see Marky's demeanor change right after. Way to bring that up that after a great win and great performance you schmuck.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, I thought it was classless. Oake got personal on Marky for a news comment instead of respecting a persons privacy. He tried to bust Marky down for an emotional response to further his own career. Slimy and disgusting. You could see Marky's demeanor change right after. Way to bring that up that after a great win and great performance you schmuck.

No he didn't, he asked a perfectly reasonable question in a respectful way.

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Our defense system works like that:

1.Allow an opposition team a free entry to our zone;

2. Collapse and leave  opposition point men wide open;

3. Pray real hard that bounces go our way and JM makes a save.

We need a different system and a new defense coach.

Pretty accurate description except you left oug thd part where we frequently and consistently fail to clear ouf done when we have opportunity, leading to extended shifts in our zone with tired players giving up grade A chances. 

• Upvote 3