The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sure they will if NHL regulars get hurt. But even MacEwen has passed Goldobin on the depth charts now and he's working his way passed Baertschi too. 

They'll soon enough be traded, Goldobin won’t be extended after this season if he can't be moved. 

We'll see them again before the seasons over IMO

• Wat 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Markstrom is at 27 GP with a 2.63 GAA and a .919 SV.  Demko is at 12 GP with a 3.00 GAA and .906 SV.  Marky is on pace for another 60 game season for 3 years in a row and a SV around .920.  So he's proving himself to be a legit #1 and by yesterday's performance he is definitely worthy of a contract extension.  Demko on the other hand has had 2 concussions in practice in 2 years, has only played 22 NHL games in his career.  So he has proven nothing at this point.  He hasn't even proven to be a quality backup at this point as he has been injured the last 2 years already.

If Marky signs a long term deal then it's a no brainer you trade Demko and try to get as much as you can for him without losing him for nothing next summer.  We can't be relying on a 23 year old goaltender who's had 2 concussions in 2 years to be our reliable backup.  I do agree we need a strong backup to play 25+ games for us but at this point Demko hasn't even proven he can do that.  We can go out and get a veteran to play behind Marky and wait until DiPietro is ready, which could be several more years.  The development of DiPietro is not linked to Demko at all as we can replace Demko with a veteran backup for now.  I'm sure there will be goaltenders available next summer in the free agency period. 

Demko is a trade chip at this point.  He is not a reliable backup, he's not a starter, he's simply a young prospect who still needs to prove himself and also prove he can stay healthy for an entire season in the big leagues.

No what you are really saying, you want to trade Demko, and have an unproven backup behind Markstrom. 

And if Markstrom gets injured, you're wiping out the season. 

Demko has until 2021 on a very friendly cap hit. So there is still time to see what his upside is. Other GM's know he's had concussions, so you'd get very little in trade value for him. Next years deadline maybe. It would be also good to see how good DiPietro does in Utica for another year. 

• Upvote 3

Booing motivates players until they find themselves being booed on the streets - at a restaurant - while taking a piss.

boo from the moment he steps off the plane!

This is the same as my anti "sucks chant" thread I made years ago. We don't effect the game that much ladies and gentlemen. Plus OUR team loves the support - I guarantee this!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No what you are really saying, you want to trade Demko, and have an unproven backup behind Markstrom. 

Demko has until 2021 on a very friendly cap hit. So there is still time to see what his upside is. Other GM's know he's had concussions, so you'd get very little in trade value for him. Next years deadline maybe. It would be also good to see how good DiPietro does in Utica for another year. 

As Markys value increases here he would be an excellent trade candidate at the deadline. Shhhhh don't start rumours.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Tystick said:

We'll see them again before the seasons over IMO

Well Baertschi has asked for a trade and Goldobin did nothing his last call up and both are being passed in the depth charts. Writing is on the wall. You can choose to ignore it if you like. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Take it easy, man.  It's a hockey fan board.  Really not worth getting that upset about what other posters have to say.  It's the internet.  BS rules the roost.

Touche. It's just mind blowing that's all. No coffee this morning before the computer. I'll just stick to watching hockey without CDC for awhile.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not usually one to agree with alf but I don't think he should start either. 

Maybe not but I wouldn't think it's a sackable offence if Green starts him. Demko coming of a concussion, Marky with lots of rest behind him, and a big game that we really need to win. Plus another week of later in January seems to be as good a time as any to let Marky play both games of a back to back. Now if Demko does get the start I would also be pretty ok with that...good thing I'm not the gm either!

2 hours ago, stawns said:

No he didn't, he asked a perfectly reasonable question in a respectful way.

You don't go there though....it's deeply private and personal not interview fodder.  He's just riding the high of a great game...talk about that.  Let him have that moment instead of poking him with pain?  I haven't heard the actual interview and am searching for it.  But, from what I understand, he brought up his Dad.  This isn't Psychology Night in Canada...talk hockey.  

It's tacky "click bait" material and classless.

Just saw it...feel even stronger now.  He throws it in like it's nothing.

"The passing of his/one's father" isn't something you throw in to a conversation then ask if focus has been an issue?  Duh?  What do you think, dumbass? 

"Had a lot to deal with INCLUDING...."???  What a knob.  Then goes right back to business as usual.  No pause, no change in speed or tone...just barrel through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You don't go there though.  It's done/over and he's just riding the high of a great game...talk about that.  Let him have that moment instead of poking him with pain?  I haven't heard the actual interview and am searching for it.  But, from what I understand, he brought up his Dad.  This isn't Psychology Night in Canada...talk hockey.  

It's tacky "click bait" material and classless.

I'm no Scott oake fan, in any way, but getting bent out of shape for that is ridiculous.  There's nothing wrong with seeing the human side of athletes.  It reminds us that they are just people, like you and me.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Maybe not but I wouldn't think it's a sackable offence if Green starts him. Demko coming of a concussion, Marky with lots of rest behind him, and a big game that we really need to win. Plus another week of later in January seems to be as good a time as any to let Marky play both games of a back to back. Now if Demko does get the start I would also be pretty ok with that...good thing I'm not the gm either!

Lol definitely not 

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's HOW you do it.   So he's using someone's current painful situation to remind us of something?  Send a message?  Even worse.

What's ridiculous is asking deeply personal questions in that setting and without really giving them the care and attention they deserve.  "Saves, shots, oh...by the way, passing of your father, Canucks, etc.".  I won't change my mind.  That was not his place to go there.   The team that supports him through it all didn't...they tried to shelter him from it as much as possible and respect his privacy.  Yet this clown jumps right in with both feet in a two minute segment?  Hardly respecting the situation.

I agree with this, but I wonder how in the know Marky was about the line of questioning. I know in some instances they let the interviewee know what the line of questioning is going to be. I can't say for certain NHL reporters do this but I would be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt in this case. I would imagine any decent human being asks Marky beforehand if they can mention something that personal on tv.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Demko IS an unproven backup behind Markstrom.  What exactly has he proven in the NHL other than he can get concussed on multiple occasions by simply getting hit with a puck in the mask?  Are there not veteran goalies out there who have a better track record than Demko?  Can we not trade for one?  In terms of Demko's trade value he still has potential, but I'm sure it can be increased if he can stay healthy and play some meaningful games.  I agree the trade may not happen right away, it may happen in the summer.  But at some point Markstrom needs to be signed long term, we need to maximize our trade value for Demko and we need to find a solid reliable backup for Marky until DiPietro is ready.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

We've had Benning criticized every which way. The PP coach was criticized at the start of the year. Green was most recently criticized. I guess the defense coach is next. After we tightening things up defensively, then who's next? Pat O'Neill better watch out.

Let's tight things defensively first and then we'll see. Tonight will be a good test. If we play defense the way we've played  last night we have no chance.

58 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well Baertschi has asked for a trade and Goldobin did nothing his last call up and both are being passed in the depth charts. Writing is on the wall. You can choose to ignore it if you like. 

I'm not ignoring anything.

They're clearly playing AHL, but that doesn't mean they're stuck there forever.

All I said was we have two skilled wingers in Utica.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Also lost in all this. It was the Bo captaincy night. Doughty eluded to the ceremony as an "ordeal". I dont remember the exact quote. I for one will enjoy Poughty and the Kings walked down to the bottom of the standings over the next few years. 

You are not alone bud.... 

So sick of being the California doormat over the last few years... Time for some payback.

As for the Dough boys comments discussion..... he reaps, what he sowed.... He may be a really good hockey player but thick as molasses.

If he had had any brains left, he would just have owned up, and said he spoke some rubbish after a sore one.

We've all said things in the heat of the moment, which they later regretted.... Trying to make lame excuses just makes him look like moron...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3