Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, Tystick said:

Bad defenseman

Shots wide

Hogged the puck too

Mmmm, when your a big part of a team that generated 51 shots on goal ?

In reality, all +/- ‘s aside,.  we should have lost that game.. and Doughty would have been a big part of a win.

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Let's tight things defensively first and then we'll see. Tonight will be a good test. If we play defense the way we've played  last night we have no chance.

Benning has been proving doubters wrong left and right (are there mistakes? Sure, the overall picture has been positive). People wanted change on the PP, they made changes, no credit goes to Brown as far as the vocal crowd goes. We busted out of our slump, but it's despite of our coach apparently. The defense may need some work, but may not happen overnight literally and figuratively. But history shows they are working on it and history shows that they have made effective changes over time. Patience and trust the process.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Markstrom is at 27 GP with a 2.63 GAA and a .919 SV.  Demko is at 12 GP with a 3.00 GAA and .906 SV.  Marky is on pace for another 60 game season for 3 years in a row and a SV around .920.  So he's proving himself to be a legit #1 and by yesterday's performance he is definitely worthy of a contract extension.  Demko on the other hand has had 2 concussions in practice in 2 years, has only played 22 NHL games in his career.  So he has proven nothing at this point.  He hasn't even proven to be a quality backup at this point as he has been injured the last 2 years already.

If Marky signs a long term deal then it's a no brainer you trade Demko and try to get as much as you can for him without losing him for nothing next summer.  We can't be relying on a 23 year old goaltender who's had 2 concussions in 2 years to be our reliable backup.  I do agree we need a strong backup to play 25+ games for us but at this point Demko hasn't even proven he can do that.  We can go out and get a veteran to play behind Marky and wait until DiPietro is ready, which could be several more years.  The development of DiPietro is not linked to Demko at all as we can replace Demko with a veteran backup for now.  I'm sure there will be goaltenders available next summer in the free agency period. 

Demko is a trade chip at this point.  He is not a reliable backup, he's not a starter, he's simply a young prospect who still needs to prove himself and also prove he can stay healthy for an entire season in the big leagues.

The stat comparison was minus the one blowup game a few weeks ago. Prior to that their stats were pretty equal. I think anybody looking at our team's prospects would put Demko in the top two or three. But yeah, pretty sure what you said above is what I wrote more concisely. 

18 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

That would depend on whether we could get more for him this year, a playoff bubble team with weak goaltending might part with a lot to get a great young goalie prospect. 

with a concussion history and no proof he'sgoing to be an NHL starter?  You might get a third for him at this point, maybe a reclamation project

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

with a concussion history and no proof he'sgoing to be an NHL starter?  You might get a third for him at this point, maybe a reclamation project

Yes, the concussions are an issue, but lots of players have had some concussions and still are successful, Sydney Crosby ring a bell? Ayone who has been watching Demko can see that his fundamentals are sound and he was a stud in the AHL. At his age, he's worth much more than a third. Plus he'll get more starts down the stretch to further improve his resume. You don't think teams looking for goaltending help haven't scouted him? 

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

Yes, the concussions are an issue, but lots of players have had some concussions and still are successful, Sydney Crosby ring a bell? Ayone who has been watching Demko can see that his fundamentals are sound and he was a stud in the AHL. At his age, he's worth much more than a third. Plus he'll get more starts down the stretch to further improve his resume. You don't think teams looking for goaltending help haven't scouted him? 

I'm sure there's teams that would be willing to take a chance on him, yes..........just not at the price Benning would need to make it worthwhile.  I wouldn't expect any goalie move to be made until deadline 2021.  There's no need to trade either of them until then and I think Benning will just take a wait and see approach.

2 hours ago, lmm said:

its not that hard , really

first off, you omitted the 8-2 at the end of the quote

realistically no team should be losing 8-2

Doughtey gets himself in a little trouble using "like"

otherwise the statement reads, "A team, (any team) should not be beating our team 8-2"

The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for Canuck fans, Doughtey will forget, the Canucks probably already have forgotten, the 8-2 win/lose is now in the past, but Canuck fans desparate to find something as kool(?) as the "bunch of jerks" grasp valiantly to this shred of contraversy, hoping to create a bonding moment that does not excist.

Its really just a lame attempt at copycatism.

ftwiw, I like the "bunch of jerks" schtick, but every division does not need one, and the Canucks don't need to be "BOJ" 2.0

Actually I think that everything you just said is completely wrong. Like I said, attempt to paraphrase all you want, he said what he said and I will make fun of him all I want for doing so. Cheers, fellow Canuck bro!

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm sure there's teams that would be willing to take a chance on him, yes..........just not at the price Benning would need to make it worthwhile.  I wouldn't expect any goalie move to be made until deadline 2021.  There's no need to trade either of them until then and I think Benning will just take a wait and see approach.

Here's hoping at the deadline the Canucks are still in the race and Benning has no need to trade him.

5 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Here's hoping at the deadline the Canucks are still in the race and Benning has no need to trade him.

I highly doubt neither Marky nor Demko are on his trade list for ths deadline........unless someone gives him a homerun offer.  Trading either one of them now would be writing off this season and next, imo.  Until they are sure MD is for real, they'll be holding on to both goalies.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

The stat comparison was minus the one blowup game a few weeks ago. Prior to that their stats were pretty equal. I think anybody looking at our team's prospects would put Demko in the top two or three. But yeah, pretty sure what you said above is what I wrote more concisely. 

Yes their stats were similar minus that one game.  The difference is Marky has been fairly consistent now going on 2 1/2 years while Demko did it for less than 12 games.  I'd like to see how Demko plays out the rest of the year.  I hope he does well as I want him to get his trade value up as high as possible. 

At this point Marky has proven to be a legit #1 goalie, has proven he can handle 60+ games a year as a starter, has proven he can steal games on his own, and is just entering his prime years as he has only had a big workload for a couple years now so he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on him.  He is also one of the vocal leaders of the team and his teammates love him. 

I hope he signs a long term deal with us before the deadline so we know he will be around for awhile.  Then Benning can work on what to do with Demko and when he can pull the plug on a trade to maximize his value.  If Demko is one of our top prospects then the hope is we can package him some other prospects to get a legit top 6 winger for BO. 

Hello Tyler Bertuzzi...

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's locked in for 7 more years with a NMC, he's not a rental. Doubt he gets moved at all, especially not this deadline. 

If Doughty gets a chance at joining a legitimate contender he will take it.

He likes to win... that is why he is grumbling and b*tching so much.

NM clause in his contract doesn't mean anything if he can join a Cup Challenger.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

If Doughty gets a chance at joining a legitimate contender he will take it.

He likes to win... that is why he is grumbling and b*tching so much.

NM clause in his contract doesn't mean anything if he can join a Cup Challenger.

Most Cup Challengers can't afford an $11mil cap hit with 7 more years of term.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:51 AM, *Buzzsaw* said:

No, I was a competitive swimmer and went to the BC Championships where I did great... 0.15 secs off the times for the National team qualifiers.

Also played hockey up to age 10, but since my parents didn't have the cash to spend on the gear, I couldn't pursue it.

But I've been around buddies who played the game, and also in my job as a news/sports cameraman to know when a coach doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground.

... So what are your thoughts on Michael Phelps breast stroke? 

On 12/29/2019 at 12:44 AM, BrockBoester said:

Well that's just utter nonsense because again, the quote was:

" Just embarrassing," Kings defenseman Drew Doughty said. "A team like that should not be beating a team like ours 8-2, there's absolutely no way."

Kinda hard to paraphrase your way out of that one my dawg

spacer.png

Man that was a few months ago. Guess i got over it. 

scouting report and game sheet for the Canucks on Oct 9, 2019 was... Canucks suck ass.

so what Doughty was pissed that they lost to the worst team in the league (over the last 5 years)

hes got 2 cup rings and hes just one player, canucks have zero over 50 years. Time to move on just makes us even more whiny of a fan base. 

• Upvote 1