The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ban on foam cups and containers in Vancouver goes into effect on Jan.

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How much effort is it to bring 4 cloth bags to your grocery...  wow...

The plastic grocery bags are perfect for the little garbage cans though.  Do we buy plastic garbage bags instead?  Maybe the grocery bags should be those plastic ones that compost?  

• Cheers 1

On 12/29/2019 at 3:17 PM, BrockBoester said:

Well, not ANY container.. I wouldn't want to reuse one of these xD

Reveal hidden contents

71Q1xP0+80L._SY355_.jpg

It depends on whether it's your own reuse or how motivated you may be at the time..... I don't think this really needs to be discussed in this forum :bigblush:

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

The plastic grocery bags are perfect for the little garbage cans though.  Do we buy plastic garbage bags instead?  Maybe the grocery bags should be those plastic ones that compost?  

That had been one of the problems with the bag bans... people who used those bags as little garbage bags were buying heavier bags instead.  There was still a benefit, as far as net plastic used, but not close to the reduction planned for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

In ireland, the plastic bags cost money so a lot of people dont use em. 

When we go shopping we usually unload the cart right into the car, and from car into kitchen. You get used to it. 

I absolutely will not use the paper straws though. Ugh its horrible drinking through them. It tastes like when you were a kid and making noise through an empty paper towel roll. I just take the lid off. Yucky

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

In ireland, the plastic bags cost money so a lot of people dont use em. 

When we go shopping we usually unload the cart right into the car, and from car into kitchen. You get used to it. 

I absolutely will not use the paper straws though. Ugh its horrible drinking through them. It tastes like when you were a kid and making noise through an empty paper towel roll. I just take the lid off. Yucky

As Alf asked..

What do you you use for your bins?

We use cloth bags for shopping and I find I never have anything to put garbage in later.  Buy compostable ones I suppose....

Any way, going more green is good. I wish all manufacturers had to get with the program. With Christmas just passing, it is sad how many little plastic pieces of packaging is left over. 

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

As Alf asked..

What do you you use for your bins?

We use cloth bags for shopping and I find I never have anything to put garbage in later.  Buy compostable ones I suppose....

Any way, going more green is good. I wish all manufacturers had to get with the program. With Christmas just passing, it is sad how many little plastic pieces of packaging is left over. 

We still use black sacks for garbage bins. I tried compostable bags for veggie peelings and such, but i dont know if i would trust them with the real nasty stuff that gets thrown out. A few days after first use, they get “slimy” and i half expect them to just break apart. 

I havent seen any heavy duty black garbage bags that are compostable yet. I may have a better look next time. Lidls doesnt have a great selection for most things, and thats where we do the majority of our shopping. Might have to check tescos. 

So many common things in Canada i took for granted. I miss Kraft Dinner, and i cant find just plain white distilled vinegar here. All they use is malt vinegar. I just wanna make some dill pickles that real pickles, not the nasty sweet pickles they sell here. Awful things

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Ban Christmas!

I like that idea a lot. Like, a lot. 

Or could we start with just banning the gift giving, religion and undesirable family members?

Can we keep the decedent food and me sitting in my onesie getting drunk in the am?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 10:45 AM, bishopshodan said:

I like that idea a lot. Like, a lot. 

Or could we start with just banning the gift giving, religion and undesirable family members?

Can we keep the decedent food and me sitting in my onesie getting drunk in the am?

So, to make the day special, you're just looking for some decadent food, then? :P

• Haha 1