The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Three Leafs on the block

Provost

This is what happens when a GM forgets, that it takes a team with solid goaltending to win in the NHL - 40+ million to four players.  As a Canuck fan, I suggest they sign Dubas to a very long term well deserved contract. 

Also, I've noticed, that when it comes to trades, JB seems to go after players that no one is even talking about.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Don't know why people are so quick to easily throw young,  developing assets like Lind/Gajo away for high priced, average-performing vets on expiring Contracts? 

If we want to stay competitive in a cap structure we're going to need assets like Lind/Gajo to develop, make our club and contribute all while on ELC.   It's the only way we can hope to re-sign Hughes/EP/BB/Marky/ect.

The Miller trade worked out so far, but as we've seen we don't have near the organizational depth to continue to trade picks/prospects for rentals (guys like Toffoli) at this point imo.  

Ya, no to rentals 

Was on the Comets website and was pleasantly surprised to see Lind near the top of the stat sheet (5) with 10-17-27 in 33 games.  He's a keeper

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

I have a hunch Benning is hunting bigger fish.  Word had it we were scouting Kings games heavily this year, Toffoli being the most likely target.  Benning has gone on record as saying he's looking to add a top-six winger. If he's established, they don't come cheap.  Ask him about JT Miller.  I wouldn't be shocked if we are sniffing around Brandon Saad or Andreas Athanasiou either.  They might have been looking at Anderson in Columbus as well, before he got hurt.  If Benning adds, I would it expect it to be a big heavy winger.  Oh boy, I know I'm going to get filleted for this this, but I could see the team including Kole Lind in the package.  Got to pay to play.

Oh man... if they found a way to add Anderson, BUCKLE UP. I'd say that Colombus wouldn't want to move him but given his recent struggles there, I'm not so sure...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

This is what happens when a GM forgets, that it takes a team with solid goaltending to win in the NHL - 40+ million to four players.  As a Canuck fan, I suggest they sign Dubas to a very long term well deserved contract. 

Also, I've noticed, that when it comes to trades, JB seems to go after players that no one is even talking about.  

There was a lot of talk about Miller, Pearson, Bartschi, etc.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Don't know why people are so quick to easily throw young,  developing assets like Lind/Gajo away for high priced, average-performing vets on expiring Contracts? 

If we want to stay competitive in a cap structure we're going to need assets like Lind/Gajo to develop, make our club and contribute all while on ELC.   It's the only way we can hope to re-sign Hughes/EP/BB/Marky/ect.

The Miller trade worked out so far, but as we've seen we don't have near the organizational depth to continue to trade picks/prospects for rentals (guys like Toffoli) at this point imo.  

I agree.  No way I trade any of our recent picks for rentals.  It would have to be for established NHL players who are young enough to blend in with the core and won't become UFA's for several more years or they are on great long term contracts like Miller.  Little Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha would be 2 players I would consider trading some of our prospects for.  There are others but those are 2 that I really like.  Not saying we should trade anyone but it is obvious we have a big hole in our top 6 and I'm not sure Benning wants to wait several more years to fill it.  BO needs help now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Provost said:

We wouldn’t know until we put him in a spot to see.  He could be another version of Boucher, great for the AHL, but can’t make the leap.  At 22 he still has upside.

The value would have to be another very iffy young player like Goldy or Gadjovich.

Gadjovich hasn’t seen a days action in the bigs my dude. 

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  No way I trade any of our recent picks for rentals.  It would have to be for established NHL players who are young enough to blend in with the core and won't become UFA's for several more years or they are on great long term contracts like Miller.  Little Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha would be 2 players I would consider trading some of our prospects for.  There are others but those are 2 that I really like.  Not saying we should trade anyone but it is obvious we have a big hole in our top 6 and I'm not sure Benning wants to wait several more years to fill it.  BO needs help now.

With our nearest winger prospect 2-3 years away AT LEAST from being a meaningful contributor, making a trade is pretty much our only play or we are wasting prime years for our core.

Failing that we will have to find a cheap UFA veteran over 30 on a 1-2 year contract (Vanek type of deal) to fill the gap and hope they have something left in the tank.

Like it or not, Madden and maybe Lind are probably going to get pushed down the depth chart by Podkolzin and Hoglander and may never have a meaningful roster spot on our team.  They could have value without us losing a step prospect-wise.  

Of course the whole discussion is moot unless we can offload salary from Baertschi, Eriksson, or Sutter.  With the raises due our current players we are going to use up all the cap space for next year.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, sonoman said:

I’d rather give up a “offensively talented” Goldie than a potentially big and nasty 3/4 line winger.  We need more truculence. 

Between Goldie and Gadjie, Goldie loses.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

“Iffy young player like goldy or gadjovich”

You havent even seen him in the big league yet you call him an iffy young player like goldy that you’re darn sure you would trade.

Ya, so you are spouting nonsense.

Both being iffy young players doesn’t mean they are at the same point in development or age, and it certainly doesn’t say that Gadjovich has spent time in the NHL.  It means they are both iffy and both young.  Gadjovich hasn’t come close to a sniff at the NHL, and is far down our call up depth chart.  He is a long shot to ever be an NHL regular, just like most of our middle prospects.

Edited by Provost

57 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, so you are spouting nonsense.

Both being iffy young players doesn’t mean they are at the same point in development or age, and it certainly doesn’t say that Gadjovich has spent time in the NHL.  It means they are both iffy and both young.  Gadjovich hasn’t come close to a sniff at the NHL, and is far down our call up depth chart.  He is a long shot to ever be an NHL regular, just like most of our middle prospects.

Don’t think I’m spouting none sense. 

Im allowed to disagree with your opinion or whatever you implied. 

Rather, I’m allowed to have my own opinion on your opinion.

If you come at me asking me “who said he did” re-read your post where you categorize them as similar iffy players. Furthermore you just DID try to project JG as a career AHLer. 

spouting nonsense ? 

&^@#

Edited by Johnny Torts

9 hours ago, Provost said:

According to Friedman Bracco, Timoshev, And Harpur are being shopped.

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/12/29/bracco-timashov-and-harpur-on-the-trading-block/

Bracco could be a nice addition depending on the cost.  We certainly need to find a cheap skill player for the 2nd line... we are trotting our Eriksson which is ridiculous.  Bracco is a speedy playmaker which could be a complement to Bo and Pearson.

Wow!!

Big news.

NHL team wants to trade their AHL level players.  Good God!

I hope JB calls them....