The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Stops A Bad Guy With A Gun In Texas?

SabreFan1

I own firearms. I only go to the range and shoot paper targets. 

Maybe the issue is why did the guy have a gun and bring it to church is the bigger issue? 

Just like shooting up schools, churches, parks, concerts.  

The problem is there's morons who shouldn't have guns are encouraged by the the NRA to have guns. 

Canada has a proper balance. But I don't agree with the Liberals that banning "assault rifles" or handguns is the problem.

Especially since most semi-auto rifles are limited to 5 shots, very few have 10. All handguns are limited to 10. 

And since Canada doesn't have carry laws. Firearms are supposed to be trigger locked and unloaded when being transported.

Giving the police and courts the tools to deal with gangs would do more to help keep people safer. 

Maybe start serious seizure of money laundering, and using the proceeds to fight crime? 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could of been much more of a tragedy. The security saved a lot of lives though not an unfortunate few. 

Pro-gun activists have more fuel. 

I'm pro-2nd... but I'm more concerned that someone decided to pull a gun out to hurt others inside a Church.  

Figuring out the chain of events is more important than just focusing on the end results.  

26 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Well, the reply above kinda covers any gain the pro-gun activists might have had. And the fact the guy got a rifle into a church and shot people to begin with certainly doesn't help their case.

But curious about the motives/background of this one. Maybe we'll hear more in the days to come.

I'm pro second amendment, but I can argue both sides. 

As for gains in this instance, this isn't the first time that this same thing has happened in Texas.  It's just the first time that the mainstream media has decided to cover it.  Usually they don't even so much as make a peep when something goes against their anti-gun narrative.

I'm guessing since the news has been slow for a while, the MSM needed something other than Trump to talk about.

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm pro-2nd... but I'm more concerned that someone decided to pull a gun out to hurt others inside a Church.  

Figuring out the chain of events is more important than just focusing on the end results.  

Not surprisingly, the guy was a known transient who had roots in that part of Texas.  As to why he decided to try and shoot up a church knowing that he was going to get killed within seconds, we'll have to wait for the rest of the story.

39 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the issue is why did the guy have a gun and bring it to church is the bigger issue? 

The problem is there's morons who shouldn't have guns are encouraged by the the NRA to have guns. 

Canada has a proper balance. But I don't agree with the Liberals that banning "assault rifles" or handguns is the problem.

Especially since most semi-auto rifles are limited to 5 shots, very few have 10. All handguns are limited to 10. 

And since Canada doesn't have carry laws. Firearms are supposed to be trigger locked and unloaded when being transported.

Giving the police and courts the tools to deal with gangs would do more to help keep people safer. 

Maybe start serious seizure of money laundering, and using the proceeds to fight crime?

Canada could easily create it's own version of RICO laws.  It started out as a tool against organized crime under the umbrella of racketeering, but eventually morphed into an easy way for the government to take away criminals money and possessions.

Be careful what you wish for though.  Federal and state governments abuse the h*ll out of the RICO statutes.

17 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not surprisingly, the guy was a known transient who had roots in that part of Texas.  As to why he decided to try and shoot up a church knowing that he was going to get killed within seconds, we'll have to wait for the rest of the story.

Sadly there's a suicide by cop mentality around these days. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm a proponent for the 2nd amendment, but the problem is that even though there are more guns than people in the US, those guns are held by a surprisingly small percentage of the populace.

Unfortunately not all states are like Texas where the good guys with guns highly outnumber the bad guys with them.  Had this happened in a state like Massachusetts, this easily could have been waaay uglier.

Alberta is like that with guns as well, wouldn't be surprised is Saskatchewan is similar. Don't go messing with a farmer on his land!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sadly there's a suicide by cop mentality around these days. 

I had wondered if that might be it as well, but this one involved killings.  My best guess is that he was mentally ill (goes without saying) and wanted to go out in what he considered a "blaze of glory".

We'll know for sure though once the Dallas PD and the FBI follows up on the investigation.

I am all in for defending yourself. I may have been born in BC, but I lived most of my adult life in Texas. I consider myself to be more Texan than Canadian.  And I have served as a pastor in many Texas congregations.

There are people in my congregation that carry for their protection.  And we have retired police officers in our church that guard the halls including a retired FBI firearms instructor.  But one thing we will never do is call 911, hide under the pews, or throw Bibles at them, while waiting 10-20 minutes for the police to get there and assemble. Someone will call 911 immediately, and some others will drop the invader.  Thank God we live in a state that allows us to protect ourselves and a legislature that learned from past shootings.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ummmm What? It would be impossible to put the genie back in the bottle, when it comes to trying to take 100's of millions of guns away from US citizens. The problem with these shootings is mental illness not gun ownership. You don't honestly believe that the NRA is actively promoting gun violence do you? It's actually the opposite. If psychos are going to have guns, then regular law abiding citizens like the heroes in the video need to be armed as well. Their quick response time probably saved many lives. Watching the unedited footage gives you a good idea of what would happen if more people were armed and trained to defend themselves. The casualty rates of these mass shootings would significantly decrease with a well armed and trained public, but all it takes is 1 mentally ill individual with a gun to make everyone else look crazy.

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Canada could easily create it's own version of RICO laws.  It started out as a tool against organized crime under the umbrella of racketeering, but eventually morphed into an easy way for the government to take away criminals money and possessions.

Be careful what you wish for though.  Federal and state governments abuse the h*ll out of the RICO statutes.

Already here, government will go after people in non criminal court and force people to prove their assets are not proceeds of crime. Reverse onus, but the government will do what the government will do.

• Cheers 1

Gun owners / gun enthusiasts / gun industry are  just the symptom of the sad decaying society.....

BELLINGHAM — The Bellingham man accused of fatally shooting his wife, who was a Bellingham elementary school principal, and their two pets Thursday morning may have admitted to killing his family in Twitter replies to the National Rifle Association, the President of the United States and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Kevin Heimsoth, 56, was identified as the suspected shooter by the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office. He is in critical condition with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and is under guard by law enforcement.

Bellingham Sunnyland Elementary School Principal Lynn Heimsoth died at the scene. She was 58.

Lynn Heimsoth’s cause of death was declared a handgun gunshot wound to the head and was officially ruled a homicide by the Whatcom County Medical Examiner. 

While the Twitter account belonging to Kevin Heimsoth could not be verified by The Bellingham Herald, a number of aspects point to it belonging to Kevin Heimsoth:

The Twitter account that may have belonged to Kevin Heimsoth sent a series of four reply tweets shortly after 3 a.m. on Dec. 26 stating that the user shot and killed their wife and their dog.

In a reply to the NRA’s Merry Christmas tweet — which had 175 comments and 1,400 likes as of Friday afternoon — the account possibly belonging to Kevin Heimsoth tweeted that “Guns don’t kill people, people do.”

The tweet then goes on to say that AR-15s make it easier, and that the user “jsit (sic) killed my whole family, and i couldnt have done it without a gun!”

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-fatally-shooting-bellingham-principal-may-have-admitted-it-on-twitter

14 hours ago, jmfaminoff said:

I am all in for defending yourself. I may have been born in BC, but I lived most of my adult life in Texas. I consider myself to be more Texan than Canadian.  And I have served as a pastor in many Texas congregations.

There are people in my congregation that carry for their protection.  And we have retired police officers in our church that guard the halls including a retired FBI firearms instructor.  But one thing we will never do is call 911, hide under the pews, or throw Bibles at them, while waiting 10-20 minutes for the police to get there and assemble. Someone will call 911 immediately, and some others will drop the invader.  Thank God we live in a state that allows us to protect ourselves and a legislature that learned from past shootings.

The issue is that you feel the need to have multiple armed people to “guard the halls” for a church service.  

That’s straight up insanity and it’s largely because firearm ownership is too widespread and access is way too easy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Higher than they should be..... if guns were restricted properly....

Wait, you asked how anyone feels safe down here.  Under 40,000 people die per year because of guns, with about 60% of them being suicides.

I am not considered a suicide risk, so that takes out the largest risk.  I don't associate with gangs or other criminal elements, nor do I hang around in dangerous areas.  Couple that with not having any concerns with the status of my home-life, that takes care of a fair sized portion of the remaining 40% of gun victims.

I consider myself quite safe, honestly.  Maybe slightly less safe than when I lived in Canada, but my higher income resulting from the greater opportunity here helps improve my odds as well.

The level of gun restriction has so little to do with what is going on here, but I know you and many others who will upvote your comments are comfortable ignoring that fact.

• Upvote 1