The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Turns out we ARE the weakest division in NHL

Rate this topic

ABNuck

I was listening to SXM91 and the commentators continually referred to the PAC DIV as the weakest in hockey...I wondered if this was just typical media bias (eye test vs. actual stats) so I did some stats analysis...turns out they were right! Here's what found:

When tallying up the divisional records vs each of the other 3 divisions and calculating the winning percentage vs the others divs, the MET is the strongest earning 63% of the available points vs the other 3 divisions. Next is the CEN at 61%, then the ATL at 53% then lastly the lowly PAC at 51%. The inter divisional records include the 2pts for win + 1 pt for OTL (hence the reason all divisions appear to be above 50%) vs total available points.

Bottom line is, chances are that the SC Finalists this year will come from the MET and CEN ... maybe WSH vs. STL or COL? Will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

PS/ Last PAC team to win the SC...LAK in 2014 and man do they suck now! All SC winners since then have come from either the MET or CEN

• Cheers 2

When there's 3 teams aging out, ducks sharks kings, two young teams, Canucks and oilers, and three teams in their primes, Calgary, Arizona and Vegas, it's fairly telling. By prime I mean age wise not skill.

A quick run off the top of head and I can only think of 2 other teams aging out, wild and Blackhawks and 3 rebuilding teams, Devil's Rangers and senators, the rest of the league is very close to their primes.

In 2-3 years as canucks and oilers enter their prime we should see other divisions fall apart a bit as they get older and Anaheim LA and San Jose get stronger.

It won't be long before the league's best starts to lose their core players starts having big problems 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

PS/ Last PAC team to win the SC...LAK in 2014 and man do they suck now! All SC winners since then have come from either the MET or CEN

NHL hockey goes in cycles, always has, likely always will.

Right now is just a snapshot in time, and times will change. 

Wasn't that long ago that the Smythe division had 6 cups within 7 years and 10 out of 12 years a team from the Smythe made the finals. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Hard to be shocked by this.  Pacific was incredibly weak last year, too.

Any coincidence that the Pacific and Atlantic account for 6 of the 7 CDN teams?

This is perfect timing for our rebuild to end, and our tweaking to begin.  Now we can clean up on the dropping California and Alberta teams.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is perfect timing for our rebuild to end, and our tweaking to begin.  Now we can clean up on the dropping California and Alberta teams.   

For sure, it makes our path to the playoffs easier.  Just can't get complacent with that success, and need to be able to beat up on the tougher teams more often, too.

GCG!!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Wasn't that long ago that the Smythe division had 6 cups within 7 years and 10 out of 12 years a team from the Smythe made the finals. 

Wellllllllll, it's been over 25 years since there was a Smythe division.

But yeah, agree on the cyclical nature. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Hard to be shocked by this.  Pacific was incredibly weak last year, too.

Any coincidence that the Pacific and Atlantic account for 6 of the 7 CDN teams?

So true.  1993 is the last year a Canadian team won the cup - 26 years and counting.  There were 6 Canadian teams as a constant while Winnipeg was out and 7 when they were in.  Basic math dictates that a Canadian team should win the cup once every 5 years or about 20% of the time. (6.5 Canadian teams / 31 NHL teams or 6 / 30)

Bettman must have a different calculator than me.  I assume it's the taxes and market frenzy free agents avoid.  Also, Canadian teams/markets don't tolerate constant rebuilds - Florida and Arizona.  I would welcome a Canadian cup and would cheer for anyone outside Toronto.  

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

So true.  1993 is the last year a Canadian team won the cup - 26 years and counting.  There were 6 Canadian teams as a constant while Winnipeg was out and 7 when they were in.  Basic math dictates that a Canadian team should win the cup once every 5 years or about 20% of the time. (6.5 Canadian teams / 31 NHL teams or 6 / 30)

Bettman must have a different calculator than me.  I assume it's the taxes and market frenzy free agents avoid.  Also, Canadian teams/markets don't tolerate constant rebuilds - Florida and Arizona.  I would welcome a Canadian cup and would cheer for anyone outside Toronto.  

I don't speculate on Bettman's involvement... too conspiracy-theoryish for me.  The taxes have always been an issue, although maybe more so now that salaries have gotten a lot bigger (and presumably a wider gap, so the stars taking a bigger percentage than before).  The markets and their ability to handle rebuilds has some merit, for sure (although they seem to love it in Toronto :P).  

I don't think I could cheer for a Cup in Alberta for some time.  Still peeved about Joel effing Otto, and Oilers have had more than enough.  Jets and Sens, sure, why not.

Be curious to know how much bad ownership and/or management has to do with it, too.  

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I don't speculate on Bettman's involvement... too conspiracy-theoryish for me.  The taxes have always been an issue, although maybe more so now that salaries have gotten a lot bigger (and presumably a wider gap, so the stars taking a bigger percentage than before).  The markets and their ability to handle rebuilds has some merit, for sure (although they seem to love it in Toronto :P).  

I don't think I could cheer for a Cup in Alberta for some time.  Still peeved about Joel effing Otto, and Oilers have had more than enough.  Jets and Sens, sure, why not.

Be curious to know how much bad ownership and/or management has to do with it, too.  

Bettman's involvement isn't just speculation for me.  It is tangible.  Nothing material happens without his approval or design. His goal of entrenching hockey in the US and "growing the game" has obviously been a major part of his decision making. Look at the markets in the US and all the effort to grow them or make them viable even after they have technically  financially failed.  Yet Quebec can not get a team or Hamilton and Winnipeg had theirs taken away.  The Vegas Knights entry draft is a classic example.  They will be competitive and at the top of the league for years straight out of the gate.

Bad ownership has something to do with it for sure.  But there have been/are bad owners in the US as well.  It should have evened out somewhat.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

NHL hockey goes in cycles, always has, likely always will.

Right now is just a snapshot in time, and times will change. 

That was 25-30 years ago now.

Time flies.

Technically the Atlantic is weaker by average points, but they're heavily dragged down by the Red Wings. I'd say the Pacific is the weakest, given that the Atlantic has at least one really dominant team in the Bruins. The Atlantic has at least one better team in each position except 8th.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Its also a caution to think we are a contender because we may make play off's in a weak division.

ie I am not advocating spending futures for rentals at the deadline.  Be satisfied getting some tough game experience for our guys.  Including in the run up to April to try & make it.  

Still collect some assets, not spend them!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Where is SXM91 located? I don't think there are any easy divisions in the NHL. That sounds like someone looking for an excuse. The PAC divison has the toughest travel in the league too.

Dallas has a tough travel schedule too.

Van gets the advantage of loser points as teams finish their road trips on the west coast.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Where is SXM91 located? I don't think there are any easy divisions in the NHL. That sounds like someone looking for an excuse. The PAC divison has the toughest travel in the league too.

I believe that they broadcast out east somewhere (probably Toronto)...they have folks like Matt Barnaby as regular broadcasters and most contributors on the Channel are eastern based as well (minor scouts, College hockey reporters etc). I once called in and accused the Eastern media of ignoring the Canucks and I got an earful from the sportscaster on at that time...sooooo...defensive much?