The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Abolishing the Loser Point

Rate this topic

seeteesee

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or simpler.

A loss is a loss. 0 points regardless of when it happens.

1 point for an overtime win. 

2 points for a win in regulation.

That way teams are encouraged to finish in regulation. Instead of overtime. Rewarding 1 point just to get to overtime is why points standings are so out of kilter. 

Ironically, OT wasphased in when the Habs and Sabre and Hawks and everybody kept play kitty bar the door for the final 10 minutes of every tie game. To solve that problem the NHL intituted OT. It was not well thought out because OT did not give those teams reason to change. If they had gone to 3 pts for a win and 1 of a tie they would have solvedthe problem thye were trying to solve, but there was booha about ruining the old records. Instead they have taken a 25 year detour only to make all the old records moot anyway.

Solid NHL brainthrust right there

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Not a fan of the loser point but I really don't see the league moving off their need for false parity.

I have a couple of out of the box proposals

1) Any game that's tied in the 3rd period and is coached in such a manner as to nurse an OT point results in a one game suspension for the offending coach(es).

2) Betman must do 10 push ups for every shot taken in a shootout. He may opt out of the push ups in exchange for a wedgie and a 10 second noogie from John Scott.

I agree on all 3 points

Record* regular season point records** have already long been pushed to the wayside***.

* when the league started having OT

** old records were forever ruined

*** so who cares if those records too are crushed?

Three point regulation fixes the mistake of OT in the first place.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, seeteesee said:

What can a fan do to impact current league rules? 

I for one am sick of the loser point. It creates unnecessary parity in the standings and diminishes the credit of a regulation win. It allows teams to play it safe at the end of the third, and leads to more games being decided by a shootout. 

I have scoured the internet via google, and I'm not the only person hating on the "loser point." There is journalists and sport analysts, that share my opinion. Yet our voices are not heard.

What's a fan to do? 

My top overtime rectification is simply to have any game going into overtime worth 1 point, winner takes all. This would make hockey competative until the final whistle in the 3rd period. Which I believe would lead us to having less games settled by a shootout and also has the added benefit of maintaining the integrity of old team point records.

Some people suggest making regulation wins worth 3 points, OT wins worth 2, OT loss worth 1 and a regulation loss worth 0. My issue with this point method is it does jeapordize previous record point totals. 

Anyone else have any other ideas on how to eliminate the loser point? 

the old redcords are already gone. COach and goalies do not incure tiesso their win totals are higher than the old coaches and goalies.

OT goals count in scoring so those are false also.

Teams used to play 50, then 70, then 72, 80 , 84 games, no one holds records from the 50 game era any more any way.

Tiger Williams record of 3973 PM is probably safe.

HOw many goals would Bobby Hull have scored with a graphyte stick? but his curve rule still stands.

The old records argument was for chumps when it was made 25 years ago, and it makes no more sense today.

4 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Not a fan either. By the current standards (Equal points to games played)  there are only 6 teams in the league below 500. But if you go by straight wins and loses there are 13 teams below 500. It feels like the equivalent of elementary schools participation trophies, which are also a terrible idea. 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't understand why they can't play until someone wins, like the playoffs. Would be more bang for the buck for fans going to see a game, and suddenly be treated to an extra, very exciting frame or two. Winner gets the points. Loser learns a lesson.

1st OT - 20 minutes 4 on 4 (would probably never go beyond this frame)

2nd OT - 5 minutes 3 on 3 (but if it did, it would be very exciting)

3rd OT - 5 minutes 2 on 2

There’s no way tv stations want to sign on to a potential extra hour and a half for every game. Playoffs are one thing but that’s a hard sell for the regular season. 

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't understand why they can't play until someone wins, like the playoffs. Would be more bang for the buck for fans going to see a game, and suddenly be treated to an extra, very exciting frame or two. Winner gets the points. Loser learns a lesson.

1st OT - 20 minutes 4 on 4 (would probably never go beyond this frame)

2nd OT - 5 minutes 3 on 3 (but if it did, it would be very exciting)

3rd OT - 5 minutes 2 on 2

It would be very detrimental to the players, and the rates of injury would increase. They would not be able to sustain things over an 82 game season.

But, I would like it like the good old days. On a 4 on 3 you could put the Sedins out there with Burrows, and Sami Salo on the point and almost guarantee a goal.  With Peterson, Boeser and Hughes, we just need someone with a cannon to keep our opponents honest.

15 hours ago, seeteesee said:

I for one am sick of the loser point. It creates unnecessary parity in the standings and diminishes the credit of a regulation win. It allows teams to play it safe at the end of the third, and leads to more games being decided by a shootout. 

I have scoured the internet via google, and I'm not the only person hating on the "loser point." There is journalists and sport analysts, that share my opinion. Yet our voices are not heard.

What's a fan to do? 

My top overtime rectification is simply to have any game going into overtime worth 1 point, winner takes all. This would make hockey competative until the final whistle in the 3rd period. Which I believe would lead us to having less games settled by a shootout and also has the added benefit of maintaining the integrity of old team point records.

Some people suggest making regulation wins worth 3 points, OT wins worth 2, OT loss worth 1 and a regulation loss worth 0. My issue with this point method is it does jeapordize previous record point totals. 

Well you answered your own question on why Gary Bettman wants the loser point.  I find it a hard time ever changing as long as he's around because they want to have teams in the playoff hunt as long as possible to sell tickets because once you're out no ones buying squat for ticket revenue. 

8 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

The loser point will *NEVER* be abolished. It is the thing that the leagues owners are most happy with. It helps keep even the most pathetic teams "in the running" until at least midway through the season. Waste your time on something else, cause the 3 point games are here to stay for good.

They aren't even true 3 point games. We need regulation wins to be 3 points.

well i think a more hard core solution is required

since home team gets home team advantage

if a game is still tied after the 3 on 3 overtime

the game win is awarded to the visiting team

if a home team cannot win with the advantages it is given, it deserves to lose

and man would that piss off the home team crowd

so the home team would stop at almost nothing to win a home game under these circumstances

would be damn exciting

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well i think a more hard core solution is required

since home team gets home team advantage

if a game is still tied after the 3 on 3 overtime

the game win is awarded to the visiting team

if a home team cannot win with the advantages it is given, it deserves to lose

and man would that piss off the home team crowd

so the home team would stop at almost nothing to win a home game under these circumstances

would be damn exciting

But for reasons others have stated, it won't happen

The owners aren't in it to be exciting, they want revenue first

Just as the players too consider it a business, If they aren't making the money they will sit 

Bettman has been bragging of parity in the league and he works for the owners, not the fans

Definitely is a more fairer way to reward better teams

It is a sport, that generates income for owners, players,workers etc. and as long as their business is growing (like it has) they will not mess with that just in the name of excitement

Too bad though

I was watching Pens/Hawks s/c classic this morning

Was like watching the juniors, was fun

On 12/30/2019 at 6:18 PM, seeteesee said:

What's a fan to do? 

What your suggesting is about as left field as - well 3 x 3 OT and the gimmick Shout-outs we currently have.

Personally I've hated them since they came in.  A team sport should not be decided like this.   I remember the reasoning around the dirty would "Tie Game", that is teams playing safe in the third and to secure one point...wouldn't you know that this system is even worse because they are guaranteed a point win or lose after regulation - hard to believe they wouldn't see that coming.  

My solution is simple.  Go back to the old system.   It worked until the lock-out - the league wanted to make fans interesting again and made this crap up and promoted their propaganda which they did a good job of...

Its already ruined a lot of stats for great goalies that reached the 400 win column, a feet not dissimilar to a forward getting 1500 or more points.   Take Lundqvists 90ish extra wins, Luongo and MAF 60ish wins off and make them ties and that's what they really compare to their peers.  Not as good right?  Then their are total team points.   How many extra points are given out each year?  At least ten per team , some even more and a few a couple less.   90 points used to be a good year, 100 outstanding (and it took until last two years for TO to break it even with the loser points ha ha).   Now 90 doesn't get you into the playoffs and 100 is good .... you need 110 plus points now for a really good year.   

The two best seasons we've had winning presidents trophies should illustrate that well.   And also show how darn good we were in the early 90's...and even the WCE peak year.   

I dont like the 3 point system, I'm not a fan of the current one either as better teams have missed the playoffs simply because other teams got loser points that should have been ties , happens all the time.   I'd definitely settle for a compromise- get rid of the shoot-out and the loser point, keep the 3 x 3.   

• Like 1