The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Update) Quinn Hughes voted into NHL All-Star Game (Last Man Standing)

Rate this topic

Pete M

1 hour ago, FireGillis said:

Did my part and voted for Hughes! Glad he wants to go unlike that ungrateful Larkin. Would rather Hughes take it easy at the all star game than booze it up all break in Cabo or something. The all star will be better rest for him over that. 

I'd like to see Hughes at the All Stars too.  It would be a well deserved honour and the activities wouldn't be very demanding.

But somehow I can't picture him either boozing it up or lazing around a beach during the break. 

He's more like a Pettersson who is driven to make himself better. He'd be pushing himself out on the ice working on skills and guzzling milk afterwards.

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I still cant believe we got Petterson and Hughes back to back. Just when the league screwed us some more with the draft lottery, we end up with the top player in 2017 and a bonafide top 3 player and arguably the best d-man in 2018. I think that's the Hockey Gods sorting out Bettman and his cronies. 

Glad we weren't in a position where we had to choose between a clear cut highly ranked player vs petterson or Hughes. That's the pitfall of Detroit having to pick Zadina because they didnt want to be the team that passed on a potential 50 goal scorer. Lucky for us, that meant we got Hughes. 

It wasn’t the hockey gods who did that.

It was the brilliant brain of Jim Benning getting that done.

And still so much more yet to come from his diamond draft picks. Exciting future ahead for Canucks fans!

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 3

I think the last shred of dignity the nhl all star game had was lost when Kane threw on a cape for the shootout. Its no surprise the league has changed it so many times. 

No one really cares about a meaningless game of shinny, least of all the players. The skills competition is entertaining enough i admit. Like the home run derby in mlb, its fun to see the talent. 

That said, i couldnt care less if quinn goes. Good for him to go for his first time, but im sure for the players if youve gone once, its really pointless. 

I think for his first year, Quinn would be better off getting some rest and relaxation. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think the last shred of dignity the nhl all star game had was lost when Kane threw on a cape for the shootout. Its no surprise the league has changed it so many times. 

No one really cares about a meaningless game of shinny, least of all the players. The skills competition is entertaining enough i admit. Like the home run derby in mlb, its fun to see the talent. 

That said, i couldnt care less if quinn goes. Good for him to go for his first time, but im sure for the players if youve gone once, its really pointless. 

I think for his first year, Quinn would be better off getting some rest and relaxation. 

It used to be a fairly serious game, maybe up to the early / mid 90s.  The second they started doing stuff like North America vs. the World, it just opened the door to incrementally get more silly and ridiculous from that point forward.  Who gives a crap about playing for "Team Nick Foligno" or whatever goes into the books now.

Watch an ASG from the 80s and you'll see things taken about as seriously as can be hoped for in an All Star Game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It used to be a fairly serious game, maybe up to the early / mid 90s.  The second they started doing stuff like North America vs. the World, it just opened the door to incrementally get more silly and ridiculous from that point forward.  Who gives a crap about playing for "Team Nick Foligno" or whatever goes into the books now.

Watch an ASG from the 80s and you'll see things taken about as seriously as can be hoped for in an All Star Game.

Yeah when the players were playing for pride. Now its just hot garbage designed to sucker fans out of more cash. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Used to be the Stanley Cup champs vs the other 5 teams’ all stars.  

Any other day another 10 votes to get the mighty Quinn in and hopefully make it 3 straight years that 3 rookies on our team are going to the all star team. I fear that poughty and Burns will try and snag a spot over QH but we just gotta keep voting everyday. IN for the Quinn!

Edited by EP Phone Home

1 hour ago, Knucklehd said:

I have 4 accounts going.  That's 40 votes a day.  Would be nice to see what the tallies are so far.

As far as conspiracy theories goes, there's probably no need to see the tallies as it likely be rigged by the end of it to get in who the league prefers anyway. Never forget Rory Fitzpatrick.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

As far as conspiracy theories goes, there's probably no need to see the tallies as it likely be rigged by the end of it to get in who the league prefers anyway. Never forget Rory Fitzpatrick.

Rory and John Scott come to mind, for sure. Rory almost made it back in 2007. John Scott was all star MVP and actually made the 2016 all star game a watchable event because of the John Scott storyline. Fans make this sponsor shmoosefest a bit more interesting with their cheeky antics. All the power to them. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

23 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Rory and John Scott come to mind, for sure. Rory almost made it back in 2007. John Scott was all star MVP and actually made the 2016 all star game a watchable event because of the John Scott storyline. Fans make this sponsor shmoosefest a bit more interesting with their cheeky antics. All the power to them. 

I think they smartened up after the Rory year and allowed Scott to get in because for a fan event, why alienate the fans? They followed it up by removing any possibility for this to occur again, go figure. That Rory year had to be rigged because I believed they showed vote numbers then as well and he was like a solid 50000 votes or something higher than the next player with a surging number of voters on that bandwagon, but on the last night of voting, the eventual "winner" surged with like 100000 votes overnight.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Is there anywhere that shows totals of who's leading?

No unfortunately. But it’s gonna take a lot for him to beat out Mark Stone who will have a lot of support from both Vegas and Ottawa.

Keep voting people!