The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] . Is Stecher our only trade chip outside of prospects?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB said last summer he has a plan in place to get back the first we gave up to get Miller.  Since he said that, I’ve been thinking Demko is trades at the 2020 draft.  What playoff team needs a top young goalie?  The pick we give to TBay will be IMO this draft and 20-31.  I think Demko gets us something in the same area.  20 to 40. 

I think you could be right.  It may happen that way.  And Stecher could be traded in a different deal for another pick.  Next year’s draft is strong so it makes sense to try and load up on picks and let Benning do his magic.  I don’t think we’d have the cap space to acquire another top 6 forward.  Maybe Hoglander or Lind can take the next step next year.  I’m thinking Hoglander has a good shot at making the club.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think you could be right.  It may happen that way.  And Stecher could be traded in a different deal for another pick.  Next year’s draft is strong so it makes sense to try and load up on picks and let Benning do his magic.  I don’t think we’d have the cap space to acquire another top 6 forward.  Maybe Hoglander or Lind can take the next step next year.  I’m thinking Hoglander has a good shot at making the club.  

IMO Stecher, because of his coming qualifying offer cap cost, has no trade value (unless it’s as a rental at the TDL, and I don’t think we’re doing that)  He’s kind of where Hutton was last year.  

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

NO to moving Stech.  Guy's a workhorse and plays much bigger than his size.  Saw him lay someone out last game I was at.  Never takes a shift off, EVER.

Let me make it clear. I don’t want to move Stecher. I’m asking if he is the only movable piece we have. And we have some depth in that spot with prospects. 
I’m also bringing this up because

Benning said he wants to add a winger this season. I’m asking how is he going to do it?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't see why we have to add a top 6 forward. Our forward depth this year has been really solid. Hell, if we swap the recently injured Leivo in for Eriksson, every single player in our top 9 is operating at a .5 PPG average or better. 

With our cap situation looking the way it is for the next few years and our offensive depth looking the way it is, I see absolutely no reason why we should be chasing a top 6 forward right now. 

Agree with this ^^^.  Sometimes less is more.  That is, making fewer moves improves the team and look, improvement from within happens......

37 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We just got a new top 6 winger a few weeks ago:

Image result for virtanen black jersey

Besides, Schaller's $1.9 is expiring.  Goldy's contract is expiring, Baer and his $3.3 will have 1 year left and maybe they can move him with salary retained if it's only for 1 year.  That tidies up the forwards and leaves room for the likes of Hoglander (dare to dream.....realistically, needs a year in Utica)

I think that D is where the action will be between now and July 1.  Benn at 2.0 is definitely an extra body particularly if Fantenberg is playing for pocket change (850 + ?).  And what of Juolevi?  I'd really like to get a look at him with the big club for a few games.

Then there's the expiring contracts on the right side.....Stech (2.3) is he really going to get that much more?  I doubt it......and Tanev (4.4) could likely be gone but this will depend on the status of Tryamkin.  Rafferty looks good but we've got to see what he's like in the NHL too.  

For me, Benn is trade bait but he is not a rental.  Tanev and Stech are on expiring contracts with Tanev being a true rental.  I don't see Benning moving Tanev without a sure thing replacement but he could move Stech easily and if he is sure about Tryamkin coming, they won't miss him for a second.

In short, Schaller, Benn and Stecher could be gone by the deadline and back end depth looks like this:

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Fantenberg Tryamkin

Juolevi Rafferty

It's not worse and it's bigger and harder to play against and some difficult questions would have been answered.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

Tanev is a rental – nobody looking for a rental will give up a top 6 forward.

I wonder...

Can't help remembering we got Pearson for Gudbranson.

Pearson is top 6 on our team and we're not doing bad.

So if Tanev is still healthy at the trade deadline why is he looking more like a rental than Gudbranson was? Is Erik still playing for Pittsburgh? ^_^

If you're a team in need of a top grade defensive defenceman why not take a chance on a healthy Chris Tanev playing at the level he has been playing at this year over say a Gudbranson. How sure are you, you couldn't get another good year or two out of him cheap? I wouldn't bet against somebody who thought  we could get somebody even better than Pearson for Tanev., myself.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMO Stecher, because of his coming qualifying offer cap cost, has no trade value (unless it’s as a rental at the TDL, and I don’t think we’re doing that)  He’s kind of where Hutton was last year.  

Stecher has more value than Hutton.  I think a team will pay him $3 million. It’s just with us we can’t fit that number under the cap and we have Rafferty who will play at 700k next year who can replace him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stecher has more value than Hutton.  I think a team will pay him $3 million. It’s just with us we can’t fit that number under the cap and we have Rafferty who will play at 700k next year who can replace him.  

Ottawa maybe?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sadly We ain’t getting Tkatchuk.  I think JB is looking to add a first or high second at the 2020 draft, and not so much a player. 

Tkachuk is better than a first round pick. He’s already developed. He’s dying a slow death in Ottawa.  Put him on a line with Petey and Brock and he could hit 70 points.  But I doubt Ottawa trades him. He’s one of their only bright spots along with Chabot. 

47 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I wonder...

Can't help remembering we got Pearson for Gudbranson.

Pearson is top 6 on our team and we're not doing bad.

So if Tanev is still healthy at the trade deadline why is he looking more like a rental than Gudbranson was? Is Erik still playing for Pittsburgh? ^_^

If you're a team in need of a top grade defensive defenceman why not take a chance on a healthy Chris Tanev playing at the level he has been playing at this year over say a Gudbranson. How sure are you, you couldn't get another good year or two out of him cheap? I wouldn't bet against somebody who thought  we could get somebody even better than Pearson for Tanev., myself.

Guddy is in Anaheim now

You know it really depends what you want to get back.  If we are looking for a top 6 forward, then the only teams that would sell one of those to use would be those teams looking to rebuild (Ottawa, Detroit, Kings, etc).  Tyler Toffoli and Jean Gabriel Pageau are the only forwards that come to mind.  Rebuilding teams would be intrigued by Stecher.  

We've seen time and time again that Motte cannot be replaced from within.  They gave lots of chances to many guys and no one's been able to find the chemistry with Beagle and Schaller quite like Motte.  It would be foolish to trade him as he's worth much more to us then he'd be worth on the open market.  I would be extremely disappointed if Motte wasn't with this team for a long time to come.  He's directly linked to this team enjoying success this year. He contributes on the PK and with him in the lineup we have a great 4th line that relieves pressure for us when the rest of our team isn't clicking. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB said last summer he has a plan in place to get back the first we gave up to get Miller.  Since he said that, I’ve been thinking Demko is trades at the 2020 draft.  What playoff team needs a top young goalie?  The pick we give to TBay will be IMO this draft and 20-31.  I think Demko gets us something in the same area.  20 to 40. 

JB said that he felt that they got two 1st round picks from last year's draft because they were able to get Hoglander in the 2nd round, so he didn't feel as bad about giving up a future 1st round pick.  I don't remember seeing anything where he said he had a plan to get a 1st round pick back. 

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, so not to be the bearer of bad new, and not that I don't like proposals, but

We need to get Juolevi and Rafferty up here for some games, before we start moving guys out

...…….imagine if they did not turn out? Then what?

You're not really the bearer of bad news.

We're probably gonna have to move some guys regardless because of cap issues.

Need cap to sign Marky, Tanev, Gaud and Virtanen this off-season. Unless we manage to somehow ship out Eriksson or Baer we're gonna have to move someone out that's a roster player or let someone go to FA in Stech's regard.

• Cheers 2

I’m not sure how much value a playoff team would place on Benn.  If he only had this season left, sure adding depth would be good but the extra year is likely an issue.  2 million cap hit isn’t cheap for a playoff team likely to be near the limit on a depth player.