The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hoglander to LA

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Pearson and leivo are spot holders until 2 of lind podz and hoglander make the team.

Nils would be deadly on either of Horvats or Peteys wings. 

Let's trade the most talented prospect we have for Tyler Toffoli.

:picard:

:sick:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

ya, and dump some cap in the process.

I really don't get the obsession with cap space, especially when not immediately needed.  There is no issue right now, and the team has plenty of ways to free some up if need be without throwing away quality assets.  Just because the Leafs do it doesn't mean that's the way to go.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I'm all for getting Sutter, Eriksson, and Baertschi off the books, Hoglander is too good of a player (much like Podkolzin) to trade away to make cap space. And Toffoli offers no guarantee of re-signing here.

Certainly some teams could be convinced to take a middling player by being offered a tantalizing prospect, but I highly doubt LA would take on 3 of them, even with Hoglander.

we also don't really need to dump Sutter, he's gone after next season when we actually need space for Hughes and Petey's next contracts. Baer too.

Loui... well, if the Pearson-Bo-Loui line keeps producing over a point per game we really don't need to do anything there either. 

Hog's is too intriguing to use as a cap dump. 

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So offering say a 3rd 4th or 5th to Seattle to take one of Baertschi, Sutter or Ericsson in the expansion draft is a bad idea over dumping Hoglander why?

??

The Seattle expansion is in 2021, Baertschi and Sutter's contracts would have expired. Why would Seattle take on a cap dump?

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we also don't really need to dump Sutter, he's gone after next season when we actually need space for Hughes and Petey's next contracts. Baer too.

There's no sense in holding onto them if they can be moved on from though. Sutter's place on the team is quickly being phased out, and Baertschi will likely never play another game as a Canuck. If either can be traded, I say do so. Same with Eriksson.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui... well, if the Pearson-Bo-Loui line keeps producing over a point per game we really don't need to do anything there either. 

Hog's is too intriguing to use as a cap dump. 

He's leading the WJC in points, and wants to be a Canuck.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We're going to need studs on ELC's to withstand this garbage cap situation Benning put us in moving forward. We can't be trading them away.

Ya, i was considering that too. Even if we do manage to keep our core, we'll need guys making near entry-level. I share your opinion of our 'garbage cap situation'

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There's no sense in holding onto them if they can be moved on from though. Sutter's place on the team is quickly being phased out, and Baertschi will likely never play another game as a Canuck. If either can be traded, I say do so. Same with Eriksson.

He's leading the WJC in points, and wants to be a Canuck.

oh for sure, as long as you don't have to pay to do it, or at least nothing  at the level of a player with Hog's apparent potential. 

Its not ideal, but at least Sutter and Baer are gone after one more year and we're lucky to have talented kids on ELCs and bridge deals in the meantime. 

I suspect Loui might retire after the next bonus payment if they can get him a Longo-type gig to pay him the rest of his deal. 

Cap space isn't an issue with us moving forward.  If people actually spent an hour or so on Cap Friendly you could figure this out on your own.  Lots of ways to move contracts and get dead money off the books over the next 2 years plus Petey and Hughes aren't due until next summer when we have over $20 million coming off the books.  Cap Friendly easily shows this.

Coming off the books in the summer of 2021:

Spooner - $1,033,333

Baertschi - $3,366,666

Teves - $700,000

Sutter - $4,375,000

Edler - $6,000,000

Benn - $2,000,000

Pearson - $3,750,000

That's $21,224,999 in cap space freed up for 2021.  Not to mention the cap will probably be a few million higher after the expansion draft takes place and the new tv deal kicks in.  Ferland may also be off the books as he could retire or at the very least on LTIR.  Also, Eriksson could be bought out for an additional $2 million in savings if he isn't already retired.

Like I said cap space will not be an issue moving forward.  Next year I anticipate us bringing in some youth on cheap ELC's like Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Brisebois and Rafferty.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

ya, and dump some cap in the process. 17m in capspace next year with 13 signed. need to re-up Virtanen/Gaudette and sign pending UFAs Tanev/Markstrom. Do that, and you still have to free probably 18m for Petey/Hughes the year after. We'll need to start dumping cap, that might cost us pieces. 

Im not the GM.

But I dont have much interest in rentals.

Meanwhile Hoglander is leading the WJC's in scoring. One of the best athletes from his draft.  We need that speed and those skating edges on our team more than Toffoli!

I can be patient!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

As our young stars get their bigger contracts the importance of having guys who can step in on ELC's and play will be huge, Hoglander could be one of those guys. Podz too. 

I'd sooner part with picks to dump cap, anything but the 1st. 

• Cheers 1

No, doesn't make sense.

He'll be on an ELC when our young players like Pettersson get their giant contracts -- Podkolzin and Hoglander are gonna be important parts in the future... we can just sign Toffoli in the offseason if we really want him.

• Cheers 1

• just no to trading the hog , , he could definitely be playing next year for the canucks and   that is 3 cheap years of production ,,  another steal for jim benning  and you want to trade him to the kings for a rental  :picard: . lets just keep building thru the draft,  hog next year , podi the year after , 
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space isn't an issue with us moving forward.  If people actually spent an hour or so on Cap Friendly you could figure this out on your own.  Lots of ways to move contracts and get dead money off the books over the next 2 years plus Petey and Hughes aren't due until next summer when we have over $20 million coming off the books.  Cap Friendly easily shows this.

Coming off the books in the summer of 2021:

Spooner - $1,033,333

Baertschi - $3,366,666

Teves - $700,000

Sutter - $4,375,000

Edler - $6,000,000

Benn - $2,000,000

Pearson - $3,750,000

That's $21,224,999 in cap space freed up for 2021.  Not to mention the cap will probably be a few million higher after the expansion draft takes place and the new tv deal kicks in.  Ferland may also be off the books as he could retire or at the very least on LTIR.  Also, Eriksson could be bought out for an additional $2 million in savings if he isn't already retired.

Like I said cap space will not be an issue moving forward.  Next year I anticipate us bringing in some youth on cheap ELC's like Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Brisebois and Rafferty.  

yes we may have space then but as you mention hughes and petey both need to get paid   and what is  the going rate for a top ten forward and dman ?  10 mil each??    that is 20 million right there  , so  there goes that the cap space  

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yes we may have space then but as you mention hughes and petey both need to get paid   and what is  the going rate for a top ten forward and dman ?  10 mil each??    that is 20 million right there  , so  there goes that the cap space  

Hughes isn't getting a $10 million raise next year...

• Haha 1