The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hoglander to LA

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space isn't an issue with us moving forward.  If people actually spent an hour or so on Cap Friendly you could figure this out on your own.  Lots of ways to move contracts and get dead money off the books over the next 2 years plus Petey and Hughes aren't due until next summer when we have over $20 million coming off the books.  Cap Friendly easily shows this.

Coming off the books in the summer of 2021:

Spooner - $1,033,333

Baertschi - $3,366,666

Teves - $700,000

Sutter - $4,375,000

Edler - $6,000,000

Benn - $2,000,000

Pearson - $3,750,000

That's $21,224,999 in cap space freed up for 2021.  Not to mention the cap will probably be a few million higher after the expansion draft takes place and the new tv deal kicks in.  Ferland may also be off the books as he could retire or at the very least on LTIR.  Also, Eriksson could be bought out for an additional $2 million in savings if he isn't already retired.

Like I said cap space will not be an issue moving forward.  Next year I anticipate us bringing in some youth on cheap ELC's like Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Brisebois and Rafferty.  

I would bet on him being part of the lineup more than retired.

I totally get your thought process and why...….

I am holding out on Eriksson retiring in July...…….might as well have a big wish! Right?

There are just so many variables...…..who the heck knows Ossi?

Eriksson ...Retires, goes to Ottawa, mutually walks away.....????

Tanev...…..

Baertschi...….

Benn......

Sutter......

Who knows what Jimbo will do? It might be something totally that we are not seeing......or like you suggest Ossi, it could cost us one of our Blue chip prospects....

Which, I would be sick over doing...……….but man! Something has to happen!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I would bet on him being part of the lineup more than retired.

If he is ultimately on LTIR I suppose it offsets the Luongo recapture at least. Scary to see Ferland so easily taken out, maybe this time everyone should just choose health and give the guy the best long term outcome. I'd hate to see him get his bell rung again. 

OP I think what makes your trade suggestion particularly egregious is that the trade is to a rival. Tofoli 

would be on the down swing and looking to retire possibly in 3-5 years where as Hoglander would 

be playing against us AND not even entering into his prime. Hoglander was one of the most exciting

players in the tournament. It just makes no sense.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space isn't an issue with us moving forward.  If people actually spent an hour or so on Cap Friendly you could figure this out on your own.

Not even 5-10 minutes, but that would take actual investigation and thinking -- you know, effort.  It's easier to just listen to the media and their hand-wringing narrative over the "imminent cap disaster" and choose to believe that.

:picard:

They can't carry on the narrative anymore of "Dim Jim and the failed rebuild" so they have to find something else to troll the fanbase about.  No doubt the next "goalie controversy" is on deck, just waiting for Markstrom to have a skid and Demko to have a string of good games.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space isn't an issue with us moving forward.  If people actually spent an hour or so on Cap Friendly you could figure this out on your own.  Lots of ways to move contracts and get dead money off the books over the next 2 years plus Petey and Hughes aren't due until next summer when we have over $20 million coming off the books.  Cap Friendly easily shows this.

Coming off the books in the summer of 2021:

Spooner - $1,033,333

Baertschi - $3,366,666

Teves - $700,000

Sutter - $4,375,000

Edler - $6,000,000

Benn - $2,000,000

Pearson - $3,750,000

That's $21,224,999 in cap space freed up for 2021.  Not to mention the cap will probably be a few million higher after the expansion draft takes place and the new tv deal kicks in.  Ferland may also be off the books as he could retire or at the very least on LTIR.  Also, Eriksson could be bought out for an additional $2 million in savings if he isn't already retired.

Like I said cap space will not be an issue moving forward.  Next year I anticipate us bringing in some youth on cheap ELC's like Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Brisebois and Rafferty.  

Totally agree with you that cap wont be an issue with us moving forward...

But buying out Loui July 2020 wont save us 2 mill, it'll be about 1.333 over 4 years and is nonsensical IMO considering his signning bonus. We're better off waiving him if anything and just paying him 1 mill less on the cap for 2 years and being done with it...

Rather than having 5.6, then 3.6... then 666K for two extra years (below is the buyout

SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Vancouver Canucks VAN)
2020-21 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $666,667 $3,666,667 $333,333 $5,666,667
2021-22 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $666,667 $1,666,667 $2,333,333 $3,666,667
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
2023-24 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
TOTAL $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,666,667 $6,666,667 $1,333,333 $10,666,668

Also Ferland retiring? We just signed the 27 year old entering his prime... what makes you think he's retiring? He'll be back and better than ever soon.              

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Not even 5-10 minutes, but that would take actual investigation and thinking -- you know, effort.  It's easier to just listen to the media and their hand-wringing narrative over the "imminent cap disaster" and choose to believe that.

They can't carry on the narrative anymore of "Dim Jim and the failed rebuild" so they have to find something else to troll the fanbase about.  No doubt the next "goalie controversy" is on deck, just waiting for Markstrom to have a skid and Demko to have a string of good games.

Yup.  We all know what the next big thing will be.  How Benning manages the goalie situation.  It will be a losing battle for Jim.  If he signs Marky long term and trades Demko then he's ruining our future.  If he lets Marky walk for free in the summer and keeps Demko it's terrible asset management.  If he trades Marky at the deadline to get an asset back it will be he's throwing away our playoff hopes on a rookie goalie.  He can't win...

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think we should really make a push for Ben Hutton.  Can really help out our defence for our playoff push.  Then @Gaudette Celly can change his username back...

Is there really anything better than watching Gaudette Celly though? Maybe if Hutton came back and was a 80 Point dman I'd like him more than the Hockey Gaud :P

celebrate ice hockey GIF by NHL

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

Celebrate Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Totally agree with you that cap wont be an issue with us moving forward...

But buying out Loui July 2020 wont save us 2 mill, it'll be about 1.333 over 4 years and is nonsensical IMO considering his signning bonus. We're better off waiving him if anything and just paying him 1 mill less on the cap for 2 years and being done with it...

Rather than having 5.6, then 3.6... then 666K for two extra years (below is the buyout

SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Vancouver Canucks VAN)
2020-21 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $666,667 $3,666,667 $333,333 $5,666,667
2021-22 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $666,667 $1,666,667 $2,333,333 $3,666,667
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
2023-24 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
TOTAL $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,666,667 $6,666,667 $1,333,333 $10,666,668

Also Ferland retiring? We just signed the 27 year old entering his prime... what makes you think he's retiring? He'll be back and better than ever soon.              

I was referring to buying out Loui in 2021 when he has one year left and when we have to re-sign Petey and Hughes.  His cap hit is $6 million but if we buy out the last year of his contract the cap hit is only $4 million for 2021 and $1 million for 2022.  So a $2 million savings for the summer of 2021.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

It's unfortunate, but you appear to be plugging your ears and stomping your feet. Disagree with the proposal, fine, these wide generalizations and forcing a narrative i haven't portrayed in the least is pathetic. Keep up that straw man. 

8 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so 9.9 then ?   So still what ever we pay  Petey and Quinn is still going to take a large chunk of that 21 million dollar of available  cap space 

We will have much more cap space than the $21 million.  The cap will go up by $5-7 million and we can buy out several contracts including Loui's, Roussel and Beagle if we have to.  Cap space is not an issue with the Canucks.  Like I said spend some time on Cap Friendly and you can figure it out yourself instead of guessing or listening to the uneducated media talking heads...

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We will have much more cap space than the $21 million.  The cap will go up by $5-7 million and we can buy out several contracts including Loui's, Roussel and Beagle if we have to.  Cap space is not an issue with the Canucks.  Like I said spend some time on Cap Friendly and you can figure it out yourself instead of guessing or listening to the uneducated media talking heads...

I agree, and it could actually be higher, as there is suppose to be a new TV contract coming.....

I am more inclined to think 6 to 8, before the contract......but your numbers make a valid point, regardless

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You said there is about 21 million dollars in cap space( so we are using your numbers) , but you are not factoring in what Petey and Quinn are going to get paid in their next contracts .  So if Quinn and Petey both sign for 18mil ( 10 for petey ,8 for hughes   roughly) in total that leaves 3 million( of your numbers again) and then you are guessing the cap goes up 5-7 million  , so who is guessing ?    You only did subtractions , you need to add back  to the roster as well , you haven't included other players being resigned ( marky., jake . motte.' gaudette.  fantenberg , stecher , tanev)  that is on cap friendly)  besides  petey and hughes  next contracts   , so perhaps  you should  re think  on how much cap space we really will have