The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hoglander to LA

As great as the team's recent success is, what excites me more is that there is still a cavalry on its way:

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Lind

Madden

Woo

Juolevi

Rathbone

Tryamkin

DiPietro

I guess there are more but I've only listed guys with a sizeable chance of making the NHL. 

These prospects will be inserted into the lineup at low cap hit to help the team contend for years to come. Hoglander is one of the core among the next wave of prospects, so I wouldn't trade him for Toffoli, who hasn't been as great as he was in the past.

Besides, we don't need to do a cap dump at the moment. It will need to be done at some point but not this season and not at the cost of giving up what looks like a surefire NHLer.

17 hours ago, khay said:

As great as the team's recent success is, what excites me more is that there is still a cavalry on its way:

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Lind

Madden

Woo

Juolevi

Rathbone

Tryamkin

DiPietro

I guess there are more but I've only listed guys with a sizeable chance of making the NHL. 

These prospects will be inserted into the lineup at low cap hit to help the team contend for years to come. Hoglander is one of the core among the next wave of prospects, so I wouldn't trade him for Toffoli, who hasn't been as great as he was in the past.

Besides, we don't need to do a cap dump at the moment. It will need to be done at some point but not this season and not at the cost of giving up what looks like a surefire NHLer.

Hoglander looks good, sure dazzled at the world juniors

Podkolzin Sounds good but you have to get him to NA before we can even speculate...

Rathbone and Madden are question marks coming out of university leagues

Juolevi... don't need to beat a dead horse here

Tryamkin is 25, not even in NA... Hard to say if his development has been wasted in Russia

There are a lot of question marks on this list in reality. But it is kinda the normal progress for drafted players, the bulk end up simply depth NHL players, not NHL regulars

On January 2, 2020 at 2:48 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

I know i'm going to get roasted, but please hear me out first. This started as an idea to get Fagemo out of LA and keep the chemistry between him and Hoglander alive. Then it occurred to me, there's no way the Kings are getting rid of him. There's also been some light rumours around the Canucks and Toffoli, so I figure we could make something work around these two central pieces. But what does Vancouver really need? Cap space for keeping our young core. Petey and Hughes will need big raises a year from now, while Gaudette and Virtanen will be RFAs this summer. That's not to mention extending Markstrom and Tanev, both UFAs this summer. So, how about Hoglander and a cap dump for Toffoli?

VAN:

Toffoli (UFA 2020)

LAK:

Hoglander

2 of Baertschi (3.4m 2021), Sutter (4.3m 2021), Eriksson (6m 2022)

For the Sutter lovers, he's a cap dump. I'm sorry, but he's lost his spot to Gaud and I don't want to hear some nonsense of how played the full 82 3 seasons ago. He's done.

Why does LA do this? Hoglander is a surefire prospect and has developed some slick chemistry with Fagemo. This could speed along their rebuild. They have 4.5m in cap space right now, and taking back Toffoli would free up another 4.6m, giving them some space to take on junk. Worth a thought. 

I like your thinking but I think we should be looking for a right handed D.

Like other posters mentioned our top prospects mostly are forwards with only OJ , Jett Woo and Rathbone , that show top four upside. 

If we did bring in a d man we could trade Tanev if healthy or stech and  Tree is suppose to come back too , so our D could be one piece away from being deep and balanced....

im interested in how the oilers handle Adam Larsson, free agent at the end of the season iirc. He also hasn't had the best time in ED but could work nicely wth Hughes with Larsson being more a stay at home guy kinda like Tanev just with a lil more push back.

I don't see them trading Toffoli for two anchor contracts extending into next season and only walk away with one prospect, especially to a divisional rival. I love Hoglander, but I doubt the perception around the league is as high as it is around here. They'd be doing us a massive favour taking them off our hands let alone throwing in a top 6 forward. Worst case scenario we let him go and we just freed up 7-8 mil in cap for a prospect. Best case scenario we got a guy that has a Pearson like resurgence AND got rid of two cap dumps. 

Personally I like Hoglander too much to do the deal, but I also doubt LA values him highly enough to take Baer and Sutter off our hands. The odds of Toffoli fitting in with Bo and Pearson is too high on top of doing us a huge solid taking Baer and Sutter.