The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Mike Reilly to Senators for Andrew Sturtz, 2021 5th-round pick

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Mike Reilly for whatever reason always became a 87 overall d-man in NHL 17. So huge win for Ottawa :ph34r: 

Traded a pick though. If Ottawa fans are anything like the draft pick watchers we have I bet they are pissed about that lost 5th rounder.

What is a rebuilding team doing trading pickz, amirite?

• 3 weeks later...

I like this pickup for Ottawa.  Reilly may be a longshot/doubtful to breakout or reach his college pedigree/projections at this point, but he brings an element to their blueline that they didn't necessarily have (aside from Chabot having practically everything you might want in a blueliner)... and you never know - there are the odd guys (like J Schultz) who don't really do much and then surprise you at this point (26) of their career.  I also like the potential of guys like Reilly ( or Pouliot for example) who may not translate their offensive upside at the NHL level, but still have great skating/mobility - and with the speed and skill in the present game, players like this can have the potential to transform their game.  Pouliot may not have shown the puck carrying and moving that was hoped, but what he did show was a better than expected ability to maintain coverage, to close against the rush, etc.  I think a 5th for Reilly is a reasonable enough risk / worth taking.