The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Again. They had a country that supported them and supplied them with the weaponry. Without the support of the US.....

And if the Arab nations didn't receive anything from the USSR....

Then both sides would be fighting with slingshots and spears, like in Biblical days, lol.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Then both sides would be fighting with slingshots and spears, like in Biblical days, lol.  

Which would probably be for the best. When you have to see your enemy up close, smell the blood, $&!#, and fear on the battlefield versus pressing a button from a thousand miles away, the cost of war is that much more prevalent. 

There may be days ahead that will have biblical significance to them as well. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Which would probably be for the best. When you have to see your enemy up close, smell the blood, $&!#, and fear on the battlefield versus pressing a button from a thousand miles away, the cost of war is that much more prevalent. 

There may be days ahead that will have biblical significance to them as well. 

Reminds me of a quote from the movie Zohan, while not contextually accurate....

"They've been fighting for 2000 years. It can't be much longer."

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Regardless who the POTUS is, the military is pretty much semi-autonomous.  Most of the officers and especially the higher up are there due to their competency, not just because whoever they are buddies with.  A captain in the army is there due to merits, an admiral in the navy is in charge due to experience and track record.... not because they like the Donkey party or the Elephant party more.  

In the Saudi military... you'd bet there are lots of members of the royalty and other nobility in their officer corp.... and most probably can't even lead a Boy Scout unit to go camping.  

As for the legality of military action.... it's probably just as "legal" as blowing up an American overseas without any trial.... 

My point was more, despite American military prowess, the guy at the top is an idiot (and has already been on record at dismissing multiple generals and experts.)

15 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Under the nuclear deal, Obama chose the policy of appeasement and so he Iran 150 Billion dollars to Iran, promising many sanctions would be lifted so they could continue their nuclear enrichment activities...all for national "energy" purposes of course.

Iran doesn't want peace with the US or Israel, they want "Islamic" peace with the US and Israel subjugated under Islamic Sharia law. That will NEVER happen and tonight is just the start of what is sure to turn into a clash of civilizations, the 21 century civilization vs 17th century civilization.

I do so enjoy watching people get owned so hard their kids feel it

15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

In the 1970s, Iran paid the U.S. $400 million for military equipment that was never delivered because the government was overthrown and diplomatic relations ruptured. After the nuclear deal, the U.S. and Iran announced they had settled the matter, with the U.S. agreeing to pay the $400 million principal along with about $1.3 billion in interest.

The $400 million was paid in cash and flown to Tehran on a cargo plane. The arrangement provided for the interest to be paid later.

There is no $150 Billion dollars.

The $400 million was paid in cash because Iran is locked out of the international SWIFT system created and controlled by the US.

44 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

wait what?

The USSR?

Might wanna check who the US is selling arms to in the ME

10 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

B3 & 4: Shows a near complete ignorance of the history of modern Iran and the radical Islamist's methods of operation. Iran's intent in the region isn't one of protectionism, of protecting Shia Muslims etc. It's on a drive for complete dominance of the region and the ultimate eradication of Israel. Then with the Muslim nations of the Middle East and Africa, overtake the Great Satan America. Their goal is a world-wide Caliphate. Don't take my word for it, here's a few (of many) murderous threats made by this terrorist regime....

Skipping your posted statements which are literally just tough talking rhetoric and do not have the counter posted US and Israeli statements of the exact same type,

I just want to ask can you list for me the nations Iran has invaded.  As well as how many attacks Iran has committed against Israel that are in fact proven to be caused by Iranians.

Then counter that with attacks against Iran by the US and Israel.  

Understand with a few simple searches I can find the exact same statements made by the US and Israeli brass, even if they are churched up a bit for language/content

I REALLY want you to delve deep for me here.  because your statements don't hold up, like at all.  Is Iran running its mouth?  yes.  But I need you to actually prove that statement for me.  Mostly because it will take you literal days to find nothing but also because I know for a damned fact you won't because you know you can't

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Wait... what are we even disagree about?

Both the USSR and the USA supplied arms to the Middle East...

I'm agreeing with you actually :gocan::gocan:

The US makes a literal killing, figuratively and literally selling arms in the Middle East, Russia does..well Russia does ok, but even Russia has hesitated in selling certain arms to the ME that the US has filled countless orders for.

My favourite is a missile attack in Yemen, that the Saudi's say was caused by Iran and the US says was caused by Iran, but was in fact caused by a US missile that was sold to the Saudis the year prior.  Russia trolled the US hard over that one to which the US retaliated about Russian weapons involved in syria, to which Russia responded with pointing out that gas attacks in the area originated from US labs and so on and so forth

It's an endless cycle of violence that neither side wants to see ended

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

The irony is that Israel woudnt be around today had they not been supplied arms by Stalin in the early days of that country's existence.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

16 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This was one of the more idiotic foreign policy decisions Trump has taken.

This has escalated the whole conflict enormously.  Trump has killed a high profile Iranian General and a key Iranian government figure.

Trump had justification for launching the first airstrike on the Iranian backed militia after one of its contractors died.  There was no justification for this.

Iran will respond... but worse than that, this airstrike in Iraq, at their International Civil Airport, will cause Iraqi outrage.  Both the Iraq government and its people will consider this, quite rightly, as an infringement on their territorial sovereignty.   I would not be surprised to see the Iraqis tell the US get all its soldiers out of Iraq very soon.

If that happens, then all the 5000+ dead Americans who died kicking Saddam Hussein out and installing a pro-US regime in Iraq will have been for nothing.

Trump will have handed the keys to Iraq right to to the Iranians.

Meanwhile, the country where the overwhelming majority of the 9/11 hijackers came from gets a free pass.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

In stark contrast to this is the USA where the commander in chief is a draft-dodging, middling reality tv star and noted adderall-sniffing dotard who spends his time golfing and going on semi-coherent rants during his cult-like rallies. 

On that note, wouldn’t blowing up a foreign state dignitary be considered an act of war?  Doesn’t that have to go through Congress?  “Checks and balances” and all that? But, no, those meanies impeached him.

I don’t necessarily agree with anything in this post, but the biggest issue I have is that these actions were somehow to protect Israel or something like that.  We know there isn’t any long term strategic plan beyond the desperate flailing of Trump to distract from his impeachment.  

It's evident you don't understand the subject matter, who Soleimani was or the history that brought on his demise.  I really don't like doing someone's homework for them, but I like you so here's a little bit to get you started...."or something like that"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qasem_Soleimani

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50979463

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/01/us-kills-top-iran-general-qassem-soleimani/604378/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/defense-secretary-says-iran-and-its-proxies-may-be-planning-fresh-attacks-on-us-personnel-in-iraq/2020/01/02/53b63f00-2d89-11ea-bcb3-ac6482c4a92f_story.html

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/01/03/iraq-rockets-fired-at-baghdad-airport-7-people-killed/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/02/trump-just-took-out-the-worlds-biggest-bad-guy-qassim-soleimani.html

https://time.com/5758250/qasem-soleimani-iran-retaliation/

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I admit I have had a couple drinks but I. Confused. I agree Russia and the Us create wars all over the place if that is your point. In this case I don't see Russia involved even in 1979 the Soviet union took Iraq's side Russia uses iran.

No need to be confused, I don't think Iran will do nothing, I think they will retaliate in many ways that will be devastating to the US and its allies but probably more devastating for the Iranian people in the long term. And I do hate Russia more than I hate the US, but not by much and when I say this I mean its government and foriegn policy, not the people just like the Iranian people. Understand now?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Yeah, and trump just martyred him.  I’m sure they’ll replace him with a pro-Israel moderate, “or something like that.” That’s how these things usually work. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Regardless who the POTUS is, the military is pretty much semi-autonomous.  Most of the officers and especially the higher up are there due to their competency, not just because whoever they are buddies with.  A captain in the army is there due to merits, an admiral in the navy is in charge due to experience and track record.... not because they like the Donkey party or the Elephant party more.  

In the Saudi military... you'd bet there are lots of members of the royalty and other nobility in their officer corp.... and most probably can't even lead a Boy Scout unit to go camping.  

As for the legality of military action.... it's probably just as "legal" as blowing up an American overseas without any trial.... 

I have a friend who was 'loaned' to the Saudi airforce. His role was to train pilots and write a operations manual. As you said he had many Saudi royal family members and most were not just useless but actually dangerous. Many learned enough to get in the air but were not capable. No discipline.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The irony is that Israel woudnt be around today had they not been supplied arms by Stalin in the early days of that country's existence.

Much of the early Israeli airforce were American Jews, vets of WW II. They bought airplanes from Spain I think. Contrary to a earlier post Israel is quite efficient at producing their own arms. They are world leaders in many fields. Produce their own fighters.