The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

From the articles you provided:

“Iran will seek revenge. It may escalate in Iraq, Lebanon, the gulf or elsewhere. It may attempt to target senior U.S. officials,” said Goldenberg, now a scholar with the Center for a New American Security. “Unfortunately, I highly doubt the Trump administration has thought out the next step or knows what to do now to avoid a regional war.”

“For the legitimacy of the Iranian regime, a forceful response against the U.S. should be expected. The American public needs to understand that we may lose American lives after this act.”

Yet, like others in his party, Moulton worried where Soleimani's assassination might lead: “The question we’ve grappled with for years in Iraq was how to kill more terrorists than we create. That’s an open question tonight as we await Iran’s reaction to Donald Trump’s escalation, which could ignite a regional war, with still no strategy from the Administration.”

Soleimani was a major public figure in Iran, a Major General in Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps, who was easily the most popular official in an Iranian government that generally is not. 

Soleimani was the international face of resistance,” Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said in a statement, “and all lovers of resistance will be his avengers.” He promised that “harsh retaliation is waiting.”

In 2017, when TIME included Soleimani on its list of the 100 most influential people, former CIA analyst Kenneth M. Pollackwrote that “To Middle Eastern Shi’ites, he is James Bond, Erwin Rommel and Lady Gaga rolled into one.”

...the only article that paints this action in a positive light is cnbc opinion piece.  And that was just saying that this guy was a bad dude and downplaying the likelihood of reprisal without a shred of evidence or expert opinion.  He even calls the guy unpopular while Time says the exact opposite. 

Every other one says this makes the Middle East (and likely the world) a more dangerous place.  Especially since Trump doesn’t care about establishing any peace or lasting solution, just a distraction and a victory lap. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Much of the early Israeli airforce were American Jews, vets of WW II. They bought airplanes from Spain I think. Contrary to a earlier post Israel is quite efficient at producing their own arms. They are world leaders in many fields. Produce their own fighters.  

I believe they actually were still using some of those ancient vehicles as late as ‘the six day war’ (eg., Sherman tanks).  I forgot how they obtained them (maybe sold as surplus stuff from France?). 

It had a ton of flaws but it’s amazing how these Sherman tanks got around (Russians used a bunch of them on the Eastern front in WWII  I think as part of the lend-lease program.  Nickname for the tank was “Ronson” (eg., ronson cigarette lighter) as they had a habit of bursting into flames when hit by the enemy.:P

It was a “success” for the Yanks because they produced a crapload of them in WWII.  Relatively easy to repair in the field helped.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

No need to be confused, I don't think Iran will do nothing, I think they will retaliate in many ways that will be devastating to the US and its allies but probably more devastating for the Iranian people in the long term. And I do hate Russia more than I hate the US, but not by much and when I say this I mean its government and foriegn policy, not the people just like the Iranian people. Understand now?

Gotcha. My bad alcohol is hell of a thing. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Facts taken out of context becomes the biggest deceptions....

just curious how any of that could be taken out of context.

he was absolutely adamant about what he said but is now calling it fake news or dismissing it while committing to the same stuff he railed against Obama for doing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Just a friendly reminder from a former Patricia.

I'm just giving you good-natured grief.  They should consider turning your old unit back into a special forces unit something along the lines of the Army Rangers here in the US.

One thing Canada has always gotten right and supported is it's special ops forces.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 1

does anyone have any doubt now

with the latest bombings

that trump is trying to provoke a war with iran

how can an impeached president do this?

he is a completely loose cannon

and will create any distraction from these proceedings

and do whatever it might take to get himself re eleted

or burn the country down in his self preservation efforts

good luck merica

you voted him in

so you just gotta control the maniac

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

absolutely he did and he was ignored and he was a great man. I believe at the end of World War II Canada had the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy in the world and over the decades we've let it Fallin and Fallin and Fallin and you aren't wrong we do have all these benefits the United States doesn't have because our politicians of both colours no the United States will never allow another country on this continent a hostile country. so they use it to their advantage it is really sad when Canadians laugh at Americans and see we live better and you don't have this or you don't have that because at the end of the day there is no warning for war just ask Poland and here is the real kicker what if that enemy is the United States of America well I'm wishing we still have the third biggest Air Force and the third biggest Navy because I know it's great to believe we are the best of friends but sometimes best friends fight I'm not saying that the u.s. wants to attack Canada I'm just saying name another country in the world as rich as Canada that would allow its neighbour to be as big and powerful as it is when you don't even have the ability to stop them for 20 minutes

Pffft

6ADC4E57-36A8-44F2-A51D-E837E22A8028.jpeg

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Iran has consistently threatened to rip out the "cancer" of Israel from the Middle East. Iran refers to America as the "Great Satan" and Israel as his offspring. For the last 75 years, Iran has made these threats. Under the nuclear deal, Obama chose the policy of appeasement and so he Iran 150 Billion dollars to Iran, promising many sanctions would be lifted so they could continue their nuclear enrichment activities...all for national "energy" purposes of course.

Iran doesn't want peace with the US or Israel, they want "Islamic" peace with the US and Israel subjugated under Islamic Sharia law. That will NEVER happen and tonight is just the start of what is sure to turn into a clash of civilizations, the 21 century civilization vs 17th century civilization.

America has always been the instigator. The 1953 coup in order to turn Iran into a puppet state is the reason relations between the two countries have been terrible for such a long time.

This idea that America is the protagonist of the world is ridiculous and frankly, delusional.

People genuinely wondering how this could set off WW3 are genuinely dumb.  The only people more dumb are those who think that the US is somehow justified or ok in murdering people in other nations without a shred of intelligence in the irony of their post

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People genuinely wondering how this could set off WW3 are genuinely dumb.  The only people more dumb are those who think that the US is somehow justified or ok in murdering people in other nations without a shred of intelligence in the irony of their post

Well you would know dumb but in this case I agree.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well you would know dumb but in this case I agree.

Whats dumb is assassinating another countries military leaders, how would we or the US react if one of their military leaders were assassinated? And since it was the US what if some country, like say Iraq, assassinated Bush, he's a war criminal, lied to the world, invaded another country illegally, murdered 10's of thousands if not more looking for fake weapons of mass destruction all for oil. The US is loosing its allies and becoming a lone wolf, dangerous direction. Lets try and remember history, no matter what, all super powers fall, one way or another

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

just curious how any of that could be taken out of context.

he was absolutely adamant about what he said but is now calling it fake news or dismissing it while committing to the same stuff he railed against Obama for doing.

Ya what a stupid s@#t eh, I mean like dumber than dumb. The damage Trump is doing, in hopefully his short time in office, will take decades to repair if it can be

As far as Iran goes, they were involved in many proxy wars, let’s not pretend they are Swiss.

Beirut 1983 barracks and embassy bombing, Khobar towers, Buenos Aires bombing, hamas and hezzbollah creation etc.

Also being responsible for close to 20% of all us casualties in Iraq.

Iran is one of the largest terrorism supporters around the world.

Them talking about killing Americans is something that has been going on for decades.

Trump has half assed this, just like everything else, but people who lived by the sword, died by the sword.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Facts taken out of context becomes the biggest deceptions....

Well said... for someone who clearly doesn’t understand the terms “Facts” or “Context” 

Edited by Canorth

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

does anyone have any doubt now

with the latest bombings

that trump is trying to provoke a war with iran

how can an impeached president do this?

he is a completely loose cannon

and will create any distraction from these proceedings

and do whatever it might take to get himself re eleted

or burn the country down in his self preservation efforts

good luck merica

you voted him in