The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay with that logic look what mat sundin did in Van , listen to kes and juice and his leadership helped them , in his short stay. 

So even if we hire one for a year , that's a year of Green having help and having someone there that has been threw it. 

Check out the flyers coaching staff , heard in a interview they all like it cause they all understand each other and it makes each of their jobs easier. 

I agree HC don't want to be a side kick but sometimes it's not a bad thing. 

So I beg a differ.

I dunno....offering a former HC a 1 yr contract to "help" the current guy would be a pretty tough sell, IMO.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Miller has been a huge boon for this team.

Guys like Brock, Jake, are following his example.

He's a great team-mate. And does so many things well.

He can deke, work on the boards, shoot, pass. The guy can do it all.

But he cost us a first round pick :frantic:

money well spent in my books. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree with everything your saying but I think Green is still on a hot seat cause of his coaching not the team....

this team has more talent then I've seen in sometime , so I beg the question is it coaching or did our team just get way better?

i like green but his still green at the nhl level and like you mentioned  for green to grow or rethink his systems , he needs someone on his staff with the knowledge to learn from so we're not learning on the fly    Or in game...

from your keyboard to Jim's ears I hope....

JB has granted almost all of my wishes for the past few seasons, so I assume he is a forum member, following my content. :towel:

If we end up with Lowry and Edmundson, I’ll know he creeps on me here. 

This has been a fun season to be part of as a fan. 

Glad I kept my account here too. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I dunno....offering a former HC a 1 yr contract to "help" the current guy would be a pretty tough sell, IMO.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

If Green is your best option I believe in getting him the help he needs. 

Also look at the head coaches out there....you want babs? Atleast this way babs wouldn't be able to pull any bush league $&!#....

Green has the room and the guys but he needs to better his systems. 

I agree though a one year deal would be hard to do but I see as a good thing. 

Heck bring Burke back as prez and watch Jim win more trades and that would be awesome since most of Jim's draft picks pan out...

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Integrity is an expensive thing. 

I'd add in accountability too. He's raised the bar for Petey and Brock - not that they really needed it, but you can see his influence on them. 

--

on a side note - spent a few days this holiday up in Wells Gray - is that your area? 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Also look at the head coaches out there....you want babs? Atleast this way babs wouldn't be able to pull any bush league $&!#....

Heck bring Burke back as prez and watch Jim win more trades and that would be awesome since most of Jim's draft picks pan out...

Look at Columbus bringing in a vet HC like MacLean. 

What you say can and does work. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Two weeks ago 90% of CDC wanted Green gone.  Hopefully people see how asinine of an idea that would've been.  Not only was that a great timeout but he also threw Gaudette out in the third when he probably played his worse game of the year and got rewarded big time.  Green for Jack Adams.  Players love him, no mind games, no bs with the media.  Extend this man JB.

How can you blame anyone though? We were playing like crap. From a fans perspective I didn't see much coaching being done. Not much energy from behind the bench. Since our last loss I have seen Travis be more involved than ever. Timeouts are being called, and he is using his voice more.

I personally always had faith in him, but was becoming increasingly skeptical. We seemed doomed to repeat the same results as last year, even though we brought in some proven new faces, and our roster had ripened another year.

Change is inevitable for everything. Coaches get fired all the time. People have opinions.

I'm just glad we Canucks fans have a place to make our voice heard and to discuss topics together.

No one is "asinine".

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB has granted almost all of my wishes for the past few seasons, so I assume he is a forum member, following my content. :towel:

If we end up with Lowry and Edmundson, I’ll know he creeps on me here. 

This has been a fun season to be part of as a fan. 

Glad I kept my account here too. 

Almost all? What he got you a Swedish bombshell and an a nice smooth American and to go with acouple good old Canadians not to mention Miller time ha you want Scarlett Jo too? Lol 

only wish Jim hasnt granted me yet is he hasn't found a new juice or DD yet. 

Edmundson makes sense but why Lowry? 

I rather pay a lil extra and go after Anderson. 

Hel yea it has it kinda reminds me of the start of the wce days. Good old fashion hockey back in Van after be gone a decade. 

I'm happy I started my account don't get me wrong I know I've pissed a few people off in my short time but I've been reading this forum for acouple years and it's nice to have a safe(okay not that safe if you don't follow the herd)  place to talk hockey , where the gf doesn't tell me oh his hot.....

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay with that logic look what mat sundin did in Van , listen to kes and juice and his leadership helped them , in his short stay. 

So even if we hire one for a year , that's a year of Green having help and having someone there that has been threw it. 

Check out the flyers coaching staff , heard in a interview they all like it cause they all understand each other and it makes each of their jobs easier. 

I agree HC don't want to be a side kick but sometimes it's not a bad thing. 

So I beg a differ.

When did the Flyers become the benchmark of success?

The Sedins were that mentor for Bo and we have signed veterans to insulate our young players (despite the moaning and groaning about doing so). So we have the player support system.

Green refers to Al Arbour a lot, so he's had an impact for him and when Tortorella was here, Green got mentorship from him even after he had left Vancouver. Hiring a vet coach now even as an assistant only adds fuel to the fire to those that want Green fired. No one will believe that it's a move to "mentor" Green to keep his role. It'll create unnecessary controversy for no reason when the team has been growing constantly under Green while Green himself is also learning the ropes.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I'm not sure Travis is the best choice. At least not yet.

but, I think he deserves a decent chance to show that he's the guy. IMO, we haven't come close to reaching that point.

As far as Babs goes, no, I don't want him, nor do I want anyone else's castoffs. Hiring a former HC only puts undue pressure on a young coach and he starts coaching to keep his job, instead of doing what he thinks is best for the long term success of the team.

The situation is different in Philly, because AV has a much better resume than either Therrien or Yeo.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When did the Flyers become the benchmark of success?

The Sedins were that mentor for Bo and we have signed veterans to insulate our young players (despite the moaning and groaning about doing so). So we have the player support system.

Green refers to Al Arbour a lot, so he's had an impact for him and when Tortorella was here, Green got mentorship from him even after he had left Vancouver. Hiring a vet coach now even as an assistant only adds fuel to the fire to those that want Green fired. No one will believe that it's a move to "mentor" Green to keep his role. It'll create unnecessary controversy for no reason when the team has been growing constantly under Green while Green himself is also learning the ropes.

The use the flyers cause their team is a lot like ours. Young. 

Also @189lb enforcers? Mentioned blue jackets did the same thing. 

But how come it didn't add fuel in either one of those places? Blue jacket fans problem don't care but flyer fans.....

p.s forgot this. Wasn't fans complain bo wasn't playing mean enough ? I rather had kes mentor bo over the Sedins. You need the right type of leadership not just any type will work....

Edited by RowdyCanuck

14 minutes ago, Maginator said:

From a fans perspective I didn't see much coaching being done. Not much energy from behind the bench. Since our last loss I have seen Travis be more involved than ever.

That's bull. 

40 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree with everything your saying but I think Green is still on a hot seat cause of his coaching not the team....

this team has more talent then I've seen in sometime , so I beg the question is it coaching or did our team just get way better?

i like green but his still green at the nhl level and like you mentioned  for green to grow or rethink his systems , he needs someone on his staff with the knowledge to learn from so we're not learning on the fly    Or in game...

from your keyboard to Jim's ears I hope....

There are other options like maybe Green is a decent coach and now has a better team to work with. Our young guys are talented, but are being developed under Green. The growth of our prospects reflect on Green and JB for surrounding with vet support (even if they were a bit pricey, he got some of the best out there). It's true that Green is "green" at the NHL level, but so is every coach at some point. It took Trotz like 7 years or so to really get in a groove and he had no "veteran" support. He had the same assistants for years too. Sometimes patience is key.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The use the flyers cause their team is a lot like ours. Young. 

Also @189lb enforcers? Mentioned blue jackets did the same thing. 

But how come it didn't add fuel in either one of those places? Blue jacket fans problem don't care but flyer fans.....

Torts and Vignault are both veteran coaches. Different dynamic in Vancity.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd add in accountability too. He's raised the bar for Petey and Brock - not that they really needed it, but you can see his influence on them. 

--

on a side note - spent a few days this holiday up in Wells Gray - is that your area? 

Kamloops is, and since I’m a road warrior, the radius I draw around what I’d call homeland is a lit larger than most enjoy, so yes. Although, I’d say that of all directions, it’s my least frequented corner. I have plans for this spring/summer to change a lot of that. 

If you ever see a freak on a red, hot rod Waverunner in the Thompson River system, that’s me. I am looking to get in behind Quesnel Lake and into the Wells Gray systems in my side by side and by water this year. There is an enormous stretch of paradise in a triangle between that lake, Murtle and Canim lakes that I want to get more familiar with. 

I collect slate rock to use as flagstone in my yard from that area and frequent it for work and camping. I recommend it to anyone for its bugs, extreme weather changes, grizzlies, Sasquatches and fire bans. ::D

That cave area seems like you’d need a helicopter trip to trespass into.

One thing about living here in Kamloops...

I can draw a 180km radius around this river city and find myself in almost any and all awesome things to see and do, minus the ocean aspect, and it’s all very accessible, even the extremely remote stuff, if you’re capable of doing it in the first place. Revelstoke, Lillooet, Penticton, Vavenby.. it’s a massive recreational paradise, mostly 4 lanes to. Pretty cool. I get to travel for work for the rest. 

My weekend warrior stuff is unrivalled for choice, IMO, unless you’re an ocean guy, then I have nothing here for you. After work, I can fish or whatever I like in so many settings. Since I like classic cars, bikes and all things that make HP, what a place the desert is to get out and cruise. It’s all good until the Albortions come onto the roads and ruin everything, even the bush! Lol 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Torts and Vignault are both veteran coaches. Different dynamic in Vancity.

Flyers have a young team and maybe if we had a vet coach things would be different. Also I'm happy you brought up av and torts , two coaches that coach the same style green tries but av and torts have both told players To go fight and I'm still waiting to see that from Green. 

23 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Almost all? What he got you a Swedish bombshell and an a nice smooth American and to go with acouple good old Canadians not to mention Miller time ha you want Scarlett Jo too? Lol 

only wish Jim hasnt granted me yet is he hasn't found a new juice or DD yet. 

Edmundson makes sense but why Lowry

I rather pay a lil extra and go after Anderson. 

Hel yea it has it kinda reminds me of the start of the wce days. Good old fashion hockey back in Van after be gone a decade. 

I'm happy I started my account don't get me wrong I know I've pissed a few people off in my short time but I've been reading this forum for acouple years and it's nice to have a safe(okay not that safe if you don't follow the herd)  place to talk hockey , where the gf doesn't tell me oh his hot.....

Excellent, defensive, rugged centerman, an extremely rare commodity - with a killer FO skillset to boot. Playoff hockey. 

Downside, he’s been oft injured and his playoff resume shows it. 

I’d like to get Anderson too, both, Jenner even, but... 

Fischer out of Arizona was another player I’ve advocated for, but with Jake becoming a player, maybe that’s not necessary now. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Maginator said:

How can you blame anyone though? We were playing like crap. From a fans perspective I didn't see much coaching being done. Not much energy from behind the bench. Since our last loss I have seen Travis be more involved than ever. Timeouts are being called, and he is using his voice more.

I personally always had faith in him, but was becoming increasingly skeptical. We seemed doomed to repeat the same results as last year, even though we brought in some proven new faces, and our roster had ripened another year.

Change is inevitable for everything. Coaches get fired all the time. People have opinions.

I'm just glad we Canucks fans have a place to make our voice heard and to discuss topics together.

No one is "asinine".

This is the problem. From a fan's perspective, you really see only a small portion of what's being done as a coach. What kind of energy do you want? Gum throwing and towel waving? There's been a trend where the old school type coaching is a no go anymore. The players seem to love Green and that's all that really matters.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Excellent, defensive, rugged centerman, a extremely rare commodity - with a killer FO skillset to boot. Playoff hockey. 

Downside, he’s been oft injured and his playoff resume shows it. 

I’d like to get Anderson too, both, Jenner even, but... 

Fischer out of Arizona was another player I’ve advocated for, but with Jake becoming a player, maybe that’s not necessary now. 

So Lowry plays the style I wish I saw more from Bo. 

i would happily take boone or Anderson ha

i think we still need a guy like DD cause look at the Knights game reeves was trying to bully Jake ( Jake didn't back down like many) could you picture the meaniness the team would play like wth a guy like that encouraging it ha I would be in heaven ha. 

• Upvote 1