The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kovalchuk signs with Montreal

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He only had 750k salary in LA and the rest was bonuses..

So it's like he got traded.. he had received all but 350k from LA this season.

One thing for sure Kovy is not greedy.in NJD when his big money kicked in at 11plus mill per year.

He left 87 mill on table. Went back home to Russia.

And voluntarily canceled his contract for next year with LA.. leaving 4.25 mill.  

Unlike LE who isn't wanted and just collecting his 6 mill per year.. 

Kovy pure class. 

Didn’t he go back to Russia for more money???

11 hours ago, grandmaster said:

It’s just 700 freaking grand. Relax. The potential is well worth the signing. If he sucks you just drop him. Easy peasy

I am relaxed. It is possible to have an opinion others don't agree with and everyone can also be chill. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Crying over nothing Jimmy. 

350k if he sticks. Or they assign him to AHL at 70k. Other option he goes home.

With all the injuries in MTL he'll get top 6 mins.

I called it he'd sign for league minimum in other Kovalchuk thread when he left LA.. we should have signed him for 2nd line to play with Horvat and Pearson. 

Better than LE on 2nd line. He's a motivated guy and will prove ppl wrong..

350k rest of season in NHL or 70k in AHL you can't go wrong.

who's crying? :lol: its funny being accused of crying or needing to 'relax' because I think this is a dumb move. Not all bad decisions have to come with 6 million dollar price tags. 

we'll see how it plays out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ilya Kovalchuk, in his debut, led the Habs in +/- (+2), hits (6), shots (4), was one of only three forwards to block a shot, was 2nd in ice time among forwards, had an assist, and was named the 3rd Star of the Game.

And the Habs lose in regulation, so they slip even further out of the playoff picture.

I suppose the only reason this signing made sense was because the Habs can easily trade him due to his cheap salary at the deadline.

• Wat 1

21 hours ago, Monty said:

And the Habs lose in regulation, so they slip even further out of the playoff picture.

I suppose the only reason this signing made sense was because the Habs can easily trade him due to his cheap salary at the deadline.

Last season and this season IK has consistently been a .5ppg player.  Hits solid, is a + player, huge offensive upside, and defensively sound.

I would rather have IK than LE.. where here LE is being touted as a great PK Defensive Forward.

On 1/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, Monty said:

No. They're still trying to make the playoffs. He won't be traded.

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No. They're still trying to make the playoffs. He won't be traded.

They’re 9 points out of a wildcard position. Saying, “He won’t be traded” is awfully bold. Pacioretty was traded. Pretty sure they’ll do what’s best for their team going forward. Keeping an expiring contract when they likely won’t make the playoffs might be the dumbest move they could do.

$700k for Kovalchuk is cheap. He’s only boosting his trade value at the moment, and he doesn’t have a NTC, or even a LNTC.

Apr 13, 2019 - What is a Dead Cat Bounce? A dead cat bounce is a temporary recovery from a prolonged decline or a bear market that is followed by the continuation of the downtrend. A dead cat bounce is a small, short-lived recovery in the price of a declining security, such as a stock.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:45 AM, teepain said:

Didn’t he go back to Russia for more money???

No, he signed a lesser contract I believe.

Quoted from an article

"Kovalchuk’s four-year agreement with SKA St. Petersburg was reportedly worth $4.4 million per season, or a total of $17.6 million over the life of the contract.

His KHL salary was less than he would have earned annually if he had remained with the Devils. But he ended up leaving even more money on the table than that in those four years.

The Devils agreement would've paid Kovalchuk $11.3 million in both 2013-14 and 2014-15, $11.6 million in 2015-16 and $11.8 million in 2016-17, for a total of $46 million. Players in the NHL are subject to a variety of taxes and fees, including state and federal income taxes, a “jock” tax, agent fees and the escrow agreement. New Jersey, at the time of Kovalchuk's departure, had an income tax rate (combined state and federal) of about 49%. NHL players are also subject to a "jock" tax, where local jurisdictions impose taxes on the income generated by away games. Assuming that Kovalchuk would have been subject to a total tax rate of about 53%, he still would have made"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanlake/2018/07/10/chasing-the-money-kovalchuks-cautionary-tale/#595e06143884

Edited by Honeydew

On 1/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, WHL rocks said:

He only had 750k salary in LA and the rest was bonuses..

So it's like he got traded.. he had received all but 350k from LA this season.

One thing for sure Kovy is not greedy.in NJD when his big money kicked in at 11plus mill per year.

He left 87 mill on table. Went back home to Russia.

And voluntarily canceled his contract for next year with LA.. leaving 4.25 mill.  

Unlike LE who isn't wanted and just collecting his 6 mill per year.. 

Kovy pure class. 

100% accurate! Why we never picked him up is beyond me?!? lol he prolly wanted to play in Montreal... considering all the Russians who live there;) playing at a point per game pace as of now. Love to have grabbed him at that discount price:) he could of help us out in scoring a lot more, then most of these guys who had zero hope for him. just like the EK situation;) missing out on these discount players that would have benefited the team! But no. because of peoples ignorance holding on the past play or faults... why people be so quick to judge? Then they as in IK/EK shove it in your face:) is pure Karma:) and I love it! 

Edited by KnuckleHead16

14 hours ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

100% accurate! Why we never picked him up is beyond me?!? lol he prolly wanted to play in Montreal... considering all the Russians who live there;) playing at a point per game pace as of now. Love to have grabbed him at that discount price:) he could of help us out in scoring a lot more, then most of these guys who had zero hope for him. just like the EK situation;) missing out on these discount players that would have benefited the team! But no. because of peoples ignorance holding on the past play or faults... why people be so quick to judge? Then they as in IK/EK shove it in your face:) is pure Karma:) and I love it! 

That's not karma, fyi. You're using this term incorrectly.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, qwijibo said:

Winning goal by Kovalchuk. 1 goal and 3 assists in 4 games. Such a bad signing huh Jimmy? 

neat. Maybe they can crawl up to .500 by the all star break and pick 14th instead of 12th. 

• Haha 3