The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kurtis MacDermid suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

What? 

Head down, body low and hunched forwards. That's a vulnerable position that Provorov put himself into. As well, MacDermid couldn't have moved out of the way, and his elbows were in the whole time. 

Clean hit.

55 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

What? 

Head down, body low and hunched forwards. That's a vulnerable position that Provorov put himself into. As well, MacDermid couldn't have moved out of the way, and his elbows were in the whole time. 

Clean hit.

It looks the same to me. Provorov did truly put himself in a vulnerable position and bears some responsibility. The DoPS is still a joke with their vast inconsistency in doling out punishment.

5 hours ago, Stamkos said:

What? 

Clean hit.

I'm pretty sure the NHL rule book says nothing whatsoever about absolving a hitter of guilt if a player has his head down or simply has puts himself in that position. In fact, they regularly say in these videos that the onus is always on the hitter to let off if they're in a vulnerable position.

Not necessarily saying that's the right way to do it, but that's the way the NHL has always done it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stamkos said:

What? 

Clean hit.

Provorov was in that position the whole way through the neutral zone. What is he supposed to do, only skate standing straight up? MacDermid totally mistimed the hit where he was actually early. It's MacDermind's responsibility to make a clean check given the situation before him, and he screwed up.

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm pretty sure the NHL rule book says nothing whatsoever about absolving a hitter of guilt if a player has his head down or simply has puts himself in that position. In fact, they regularly say in these videos that the onus is always on the hitter to let off if they're in a vulnerable position.

Not necessarily saying that's the right way to do it, but that's the way the NHL has always done it.

Actually, they pretty much always mention that contact to the head can be legal as incidental contact on an otherwise legal hit. Make a legal hit and it doesn't matter if the head gets hit. They realize it's a contact sport and you can't stop it all. Players, knowing that, accept some possibility of injury. But the hit has to be legal first.

Edited by elvis15
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Even at the risk of a 2 game suspension, I would like to see a Canuck defenceman stand a forward up at the blue line once in a while just to make life easier on Markstrom. 

Didnt you hear? All “suspensions” that the canucks players “deserve” are automatically tripled. 

Seriously is this hit worse than Romes? Is it worse than edlers?

Hell, is it better than (we wont say his name), the hit Naslund took? Better than the one Baertschi took last year? What about Stecher?

They must be clean hits, because i dont remember anyone getting suspended for hits against the Canucks. 

*I remember Pettersson getting choke slammed down to the ice and Matheson getting a pee pee slap, but was that really a hit? 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

When was the last time a Canuck was suspended ? Been a few years hasn’t it ? Elder in 2013 is my guess.

8 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Didnt you hear? All “suspensions” that the canucks players “deserve” are automatically tripled. 

Seriously is this hit worse than Romes? Is it worse than edlers?

Hell, is it better than (we wont say his name), the hit Naslund took? Better than the one Baertschi took last year? What about Stecher?

They must be clean hits, because i dont remember anyone getting suspended for hits against the Canucks. 

6 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

When was the last time a Canuck was suspended ? Been a few years hasn’t it ? Elder in 2013 is my guess.

I knew Virtanen got suspended so looked it up.  That was the 2015/16 season.  Gudbranson was the most recent in 2017-2018.

• Thanks 1

Bad angle for the hit

if macdermid curled a bit more he would have made that hit straight through the body as opposed to the angled clip he ended up with.

otherwise clean.  Don’t reach for the puck with your head down through the neutral zone.

peewee hockey knowledge. 

On 1/3/2020 at 2:10 PM, Stamkos said:

What? 

Clean hit.

Provorov's body was like that the entire time he was skating which started in his own zone. It wasn't a last minute body adjustment where MacDermid couldn't adjust quick enough to change where he was hitting. It was a head hit. Period. Not sure which hit you watched.

• Wat 1

18 hours ago, riffraff said:

Bad angle for the hit

if macdermid curled a bit more he would have made that hit straight through the body as opposed to the angled clip he ended up with.

otherwise clean.  Don’t reach for the puck with your head down through the neutral zone.

peewee hockey knowledge. 

I always get a kick out of this. There's no need to qualify an illegal hit as "otherwise clean." You did say he took a bad angle before, similar to my comment about how he was early, so you're not wrong, it's just funny.

41 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I always get a kick out of this. There's no need to qualify an illegal hit as "otherwise clean." You did say he took a bad angle before, similar to my comment about how he was early, so you're not wrong, it's just funny.

Agreed.  I guess my qualifying of an “otherwise clean” hit involves whether or not I feel the hit was an intent to injure or a dirty/malicious hit that resulted in injury rather than an illegal hit by the rule book that resulted in an injury.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, riffraff said:

Agreed.  I guess my qualifying of an “otherwise clean” hit involves whether or not I feel the hit was an intent to injure or a dirty/malicious hit that resulted in injury rather than an illegal hit by the rule book that resulted in an injury.

I agree it wasn't meant to be anything other than a hard hit.