The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is math racist?

RowdyCanuck

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Lets take it a step further. There should be a honky tax. An additional tax for being white. You pay this tax because you're supposed to feel ashamed for being Caucasian and its toxic to be a white person.  

You don’t strike me as someone who would fair well dealing with actual adversity due to their ethnicity at all :lol:

Edited by HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Man, you don’t strike me as someone who would fair well dealing with actual adversity due to their ethnicity. 

I used to scoff at the idea of 'white privilege'. 

I heard someone tell a story on TV ( could have been Ron Maclean)  ....

' I don't have white privilege, I'm white but not racist in any way, in fact I don't even think about skin colour '

The response was ' because you have never had to '

That made me think.

I have mentioned before, I am an immigrant. However, when I tell people that in person they look at me funny...I then say 'from England'. I'm white, don't have an accent anymore so when they realise that I am in fact from another country I get eye rolls and unfinished sentences that start with...'well, not like an immigrant, immigrant...' I guess saying immigrant twice is a little less racist than saying ' but you're not one of those people...etc 

It got me thinking, there is a difference how white people are treated in the Countries I have lived in. 

I am very proud of my ancestry but I also realise that it shouldn't and doesn't mean a damn thing.

Like religious discussions , I think these topics have to continue to be talked about because things are still very far from being logical in this world. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Slegr said:

I'm not sure about racist, but math isn't always right, in my opinion. Sometimes it's wrong.

1 + 1 can sometimes equal 3.

7 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Sure, it’s called a wrong answer. 

No

It's called a good accountant  B) 

There is no such thing as ‘White privilege’ - it is entirely a racist term. Racism is a form of collectivism that divides the world into classes based on arbitrary characteristics such as skin colour. It is making the claim that ‘all whites are privileged’ and have some kind of advantage based on skin colour, but not all, in fact not even most white’s are ‘privileged’ based on any common sense definition of privilege. In addition, it is implied in the term privilege that any advantage was gained by virtue of the colour of one’s skin, or one’s sex, or by virtue of some other arbitrarily chosen characteristic; but that argument is entirely specious - Gates, for instance (if we assume that wealth is a privilege) did not gain his wealth by being anything but ‘wicked smart’, focusing and applying that intelligence, managing to summon up immense quantities of grit, and taking bold, calculated risks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

In 2020 everything is racist.

That was so racist!

For real though, both this interviewere and this lunatic that was being interviewed are just as stupid.  

What pisses me off the most is that people like these are given a platform and you see less and less average, every day people on TV now.  

8 hours ago, Tystick said:

I somewhat agree but modern day Liberalism is absolutely like this.

At this point, most classical liberals are either centrist or conservative. 

At this point most classic conservatives are closer to the centre as well.  it highlights that there is very little difference.  The extremes are taking over both camps and that's unacceptable.

The main issue is that rags like FOX keep trotting these idiots out as the carte blanche blanket example of everything liberal which couldn't be further from the truth

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

@Warhippy where do I put this?....

up your rear end for all I care, why?

Because the opinion of someone who purports you're either with me or against me and makes endless statements on a public channel as such is nobody who should be taken seriously.  Micheal Moore is a pure capitalist with a platform.  The channel you posted is run by a pure far right mouthpiece with zero credentials but a camera.

In essence the counterpoint to the far left mouthpiece from the originating video.

Micheal Moore is about as racist as math

Edited by Warhippy

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

up your rear end for all I care, why?

Because the opinion of someone who purports you're either with me or against me and makes endless statements on a public channel as such is nobody who should be taken seriously.  Micheal Moore is a pure capitalist with a platform.  The channel you posted is run by a pure far right mouthpiece with zero credentials but a camera.

In essence the counterpoint to the far left mouthpiece from the originating video.

Micheal Moore is about as racist as math

I wasn't pointing it at you, I serious meant where do I put something like that, I wasn't sure if there was already a thread or not.....I also know where you stand so I figured you would know if there was a thread already.

thats why I asked where do I put something like that video.....

why , ask cause he does make some interesting points....

sorry didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios 

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is no such thing as ‘White privilege’ - it is entirely a racist term. Racism is a form of collectivism that divides the world into classes based on arbitrary characteristics such as skin colour. It is making the claim that ‘all whites are privileged’ and have some kind of advantage based on skin colour, but not all, in fact not even most white’s are ‘privileged’ based on any common sense definition of privilege. In addition, it is implied in the term privilege that any advantage was gained by virtue of the colour of one’s skin, or one’s sex, or by virtue of some other arbitrarily chosen characteristic; but that argument is entirely specious - Gates, for instance (if we assume that wealth is a privilege) did not gain his wealth by being anything but ‘wicked smart’, focusing and applying that intelligence, managing to summon up immense quantities of grit, and taking bold, calculated risks. 

Thanks, I'm learning. Maybe not the correct term for...

Is being white 'easier', say in western countries?  I mentioned my personal immigrant experience and I understand that not all whites are privileged. But if I got to pick, before I was born, what colour might be easier in this world...  just sayin. 

26 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I wasn't pointing it at you, I serious meant where do I put something like that, I wasn't sure if there was already a thread or not.....I also know where you stand so I figured you would know if there was a thread already.

thats why I asked where do I put something like that video.....

why , ask cause he does make some interesting points....

sorry didn't mean to piss in your Cheerios 

Simple question.  Do you find Micheal Moore racist?  Having donated millions to ethnic scholarship funds, the poor, the displaced?

Because his works show him as do his working relationships to be far from a racist.

But the channel that was pulled from is run by a person who is possibly lower down the food chain than the extreme left wackjob who thinks Math is racist.  SO much like the math lady, this guy and all of their kin from the left and right fringes can be stuffed up someone keister 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Simple question.  Do you find Micheal Moore racist?  Having donated millions to ethnic scholarship funds, the poor, the displaced?

Because his works show him as do his working relationships to be far from a racist.

But the channel that was pulled from is run by a person who is possibly lower down the food chain than the extreme left wackjob who thinks Math is racist.  SO much like the math lady, this guy and all of their kin from the left and right fringes can be stuffed up someone keister 

No but I find those comments rasict......

one in every three white guys voted for trump so that makes them bad people and there for you should cross the street?

thats rasict to me.

( see this is why I asked where to put this cause it's worth a conversation don't you agree?)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, I'm learning. Maybe not the correct term for...

Is being white 'easier', say in western countries?  I mentioned my personal immigrant experience and I understand that not all whites are privileged. But if I got to pick, before I was born, what colour might be easier in this world...  just sayin. 

I too am a white immigrant. My parents came to Canada in 1952 - I was four. Britain was still under food rationing in early 1952, and had been labouring under Labour governments for seven years with high taxes, socialized industries, and no growth. The country still had exchange controls preventing the movement of capital. My parents were only allowed to take 50 pounds (250 Cdn dollars) out of England, we had less than that by the time we arrived in Vancouver.  My father used to design and build prototypes and the jigs to build metal pallets in England (pallets on casters, with cages, stacking posts, etc.). In Canada, the signs said, “Help wanted, Englishmen need not apply.” So much for ‘white privilege’. He finally found work in a split shop - Canadian union workers on one side being paid a high rate and non-union ‘foreigners’ on the other side of the wall being paid much less. The foreigners, at that time were mainly craftsmen of European origin - more white privilege, I suppose. Anyway, a large job came into the shop for new pallets of a complex design, that no-one else in the shop was qualified to design and build the jigs for, so my my father said he would - for the union rate. The company said they couldn’t do that, so my father quit. He had a family and needed work, so he took the first job available - working on the green chain - at Summit Lake near Prince George. I guess that was the first white privilege he got, because he got paid the same as everyone else on the green chain - there it didn’t matter if you were indigenous, European, ‘white’ (whatever that means), or an officially recognized Canadian - you got paid the same; and as the winter advanced and the temperature plummeted and the shifts got laid off one by one, you stayed on depending on how useful you were to the mill. My dad and another desperate for work European were the last two working the green chain, when the owner called them in, he said, “It’s so cold the equipment keeps breaking and we have to shut down, I’d do anything to keep you on, but we just can’t. I’ve heard that the CN is hiring in town - you might get work there.” So, my dad went to work at the CN, another place where being white provided no privilege for the working man. 

As I see it, the only privilege is being alive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1