The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yep, and Mark Messier was worshipped among the Media and the League when Keenan brought him onto the Canucks.

But I never liked him since the '94 series and knew he wouldn't do anything for the team.

Chalk up one for me and none for the bandwagoners.

Maybe I'm wrong about Green, but personally I think he is fired by end of next season latest.

You comparing Green to Messier is all I need to know about your "assessments".

:picard:

• Upvote 2

My buddy, who lives in Toronto, he stopped watching the Leafs for a while, he was getting tired of the team.

Now he's back to watching them. He was watching the game against Vancouver. And he messages me and says. "Hey that guy behind the bench....looks a lot like Green."

I laughed. "It is Green, he's been our coach for a while now." He laughed. Apparently he ran into Green a few times after Leaf games. I totally forgot he played for them. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Yeah? Name em. Tell me which teams have their goalies steal about 20% of their teams' points this season. What team is actually pretty bad and has to be bailed out as much as ours is and sits high in the standings mainly based off of the consistency of their goaltending? What other team has their goalie being the #1 star the most on their team? Markstrom probably has more stars than Petey does this year. 

this team is not a bad team, and if you watched all the games you would actually see  goalies steal games ,  this is part of their job!  all goalies need to be good  otherwise no matter how many goals the team gets  they will lose .  

• Like 1

Yeah? Name em. Tell me which teams have their goalies steal about 20% of their teams' points this season. What team is actually pretty bad and has to be bailed out as much as ours is and sits high in the standings mainly based off of the consistency of their goaltending? What other team has their goalie being the #1 star the most on their team? Markstrom probably has more stars than Petey does this year. 

Kuemper, Gibson.

So now we're complaining that Marky steals too many games?!

Does nobody remember the WCE days when we WISHED Cloutier could steal us games like Markstrom does now.  I'm more then happy to see Markstrom steal games and get us into the playoffs.  Heck if we get into the playoffs he could Thomas/Binnington us all the way through.

But I guess complainers need something to complain about.

• Upvote 3

On 1/5/2020 at 8:09 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Tanev and Hughes up against Panarin and Strome.  In the third, Hughes was swapped out for Edler, as Green opted to put the two veterans together.

Tanev's eight minutes or so of facing down the Rangers’ first line at even strength resulted in an even number of shot attempts.

Fire Green Club, take note.

I have been on the coaches cases, I have always maintained that Greeen would one day be a good coach in the NHL

Maybe the calls for his head has made Coach Green a better coach faster than I anticipated.

I have liked several coaching decissions of late

5 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

So now we're complaining that Marky steals too many games?!

Does nobody remember the WCE days when we WISHED Cloutier could steal us games like Markstrom does now.  I'm more then happy to see Markstrom steal games and get us into the playoffs.  Heck if we get into the playoffs he could Thomas/Binnington us all the way through.

But I guess complainers need something to complain about.

Marky carried the Comets to the Calder Cup and came within a whisker of stealing it all by himself.  He is fully capable of going on a tear and he loves a lot of work.  When he stacked the pads against the Rangers I thought he looked like his Comet days when it was just stop the effing puck, not looking pretty/textbook all the time, which is what he has been doing the last three years.  I think you have to have that balance between technical ability, which he has improved, and just plain stopping the puck and anticipating plays and doing things they can't teach you.  

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Marky carried the Comets to the Calder Cup and came within a whisker of stealing it all by himself.  He is fully capable of going on a tear and he loves a lot of work.  When he stacked the pads against the Rangers I thought he looked like his Comet days when it was just stop the effing puck, not looking pretty/textbook all the time, which is what he has been doing the last three years.  I think you have to have that balance between technical ability, which he has improved, and just plain stopping the puck and anticipating plays and doing things they can't teach you.  

Totally agree.  You can see how efficient he is in net now but still has the athleticism to stop pucks any way possible.  And I can't say this enough, love the 2 pad stack!!!

• Upvote 1

I love how the bantering back and forth is usually swayed by the team winning or losing here and there. Win a couple of games, Marky is going to take us to the promised land, lose a few, did we mention the "Tank" word. :lol:

We are still a team with players who are very new to the NHL and are still learning. I am sticking to the fact that I am more concerned with the progress of the team as opposed to our wins or losses. 

I was on the "fire Green" bandwagon as well because it appeared he had "lost the room" and players were mailing it in a lot of nights. Kudos to him for doing something to motivate them and throw in a little coaching strategy here and there as others have mentioned. Now he has a little win streak going. I am glad and I hope he can keep it up. 

If Bo can keep up to his "Captainlike" leadership he has displayed the last couple of games I am very happy for that as well. Maybe he was injured because he was not playing like himself for a long stretch there.

Anyway, we seemed to have weathered the injury storm there and hopefully we are injury free the rest of the way out. 

The next step would be for the young guys to get first hand experience as to what a playoff game looks like and we are well on our way to the continued progress of this team. 

I hope those that were preaching at the beginning of the year that we still needed this player or that player to be competitive can now see how much parity there is in this league and we have the tools to be successful right now. They just need a little more seasoning and the time to grow a little more as a team.

Good days are ahead for us as Canuck fans and it sure was a delight to see a little 90's back in the rink, it sure brought back some good memories. Bure and Linden should have been there for sure though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, bree2 said:

this team is not a bad team, and if you watched all the games you would actually see  goalies steal games ,  this is part of their job!  all goalies need to be good  otherwise no matter how many goals the team gets  they will lose .  

This team with a Mike Smith on it, is a bad team. Hate to say it to you but you gotta take off your rose coloured glasses on this one. Bo has no consistency this season, Brock has no consistency this season, our supporting staff is hardly supporting. The depth we thought this team was loaded with has underwhelmed tremendously. 

Hughes, Petey and Miller isn't enough to be a good team without great goaltending to carry the slack for the rest of the underperforming cast this year. Bo should be dominating games like he's done the past few years, Brock should be able to hit the net like the last few years, Ferland has been injured, the defense has been poor for 75% of the year (Markstrom faces 5 grade A chances every game since after the first ten games), Sutter has been injured, Roussel hasn't been good this year... The only depth players that have met or exceeded expectations are Motte and Gaudette. Good teams usually have ten players who are consistently good, not including the goalie. Our team has 5-6. We are the Edmonton Oilers with better goaltending and a weaker top line. 

On 1/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't mistake my criticism of Green for criticism of the team and its players.

I think this team has unbelievable talent... Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Markstrom, Demko, Gaudette, Virtanen, etc. etc.

But that talent is not being used to its potential offensively because the coaching and systems are not in place.

Not true at all.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I love how the bantering back and forth is usually swayed by the team winning or losing here and there. Win a couple of games, Marky is going to take us to the promised land, lose a few, did we mention the "Tank" word. :lol:

We are still a team with players who are very new to the NHL and are still learning. I am sticking to the fact that I am more concerned with the progress of the team as opposed to our wins or losses. 

I was on the "fire Green" bandwagon as well because it appeared he had "lost the room" and players were mailing it in a lot of nights. Kudos to him for doing something to motivate them and throw in a little coaching strategy here and there as others have mentioned. Now he has a little win streak going. I am glad and I hope he can keep it up. 

If Bo can keep up to his "Captainlike" leadership he has displayed the last couple of games I am very happy for that as well. Maybe he was injured because he was not playing like himself for a long stretch there.

Anyway, we seemed to have weathered the injury storm there and hopefully we are injury free the rest of the way out. 

The next step would be for the young guys to get first hand experience as to what a playoff game looks like and we are well on our way to the continued progress of this team. 

I hope those that were preaching at the beginning of the year that we still needed this player or that player to be competitive can now see how much parity there is in this league and we have the tools to be successful right now. They just need a little more seasoning and the time to grow a little more as a team.

Good days are ahead for us as Canuck fans and it sure was a delight to see a little 90's back in the rink, it sure brought back some good memories. Bure and Linden should have been there for sure though.

Great points. I was on the fire Newell wagon but have stepped back lol. I also thought Bo wasnt playing well and quietly questioned to myself whether he was the right choice for captain (even though i was a huge advocate for his captaincy previous to that). I'm glad i didnt verbalize any of this until now lol. Looks like all is well again

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

This team with a Mike Smith on it, is a bad team. Hate to say it to you but you gotta take off your rose coloured glasses on this one.

Not sure what colour your glasses are. Pitch-black with some blood on it? Last time I checked it was still a team game. Goalie is the most important position and teams with a bad goalie do worse than teams with a good goalie (or two). They have two good goalies, a good goalie prospect and a good goalie coach. How is this a problem?

Bo has no consistency this season,

That's true. He is not scoring a hattrick every game, but he carries the team defensively, has won the second most faceoffs in the league and has still put up 35 in 42 (the best PPG in his career) while growing into his role as captain.

Brock has no consistency this season

He's playing a more complete game than ever and has not scored a point in 14 of 42 games. Sits at 39 in 42, which (again) is the best pace of his career.

, our supporting staff is hardly supporting. The depth we thought this team was loaded with has underwhelmed tremendously. 

Hughes, Petey and Miller isn't enough to be a good team without great goaltending to carry the slack for the rest of the underperforming cast this year. Bo should be dominating games like he's done the past few years, Brock should be able to hit the net like the last few years, Ferland has been injured, the defense has been poor for 75% of the year (Markstrom faces 5 grade A chances every game since after the first ten games),

Granted, the Canucks concede more chances than they get and it would be easier if they outright dominated every game and won 5-1. But that's not reality, the Sedin heydays are over. This is a young, growing team with a lot of promise, which has a goalie that bails them out at times. Few people expect the team to win the cup this year and next, but benevolently acknowledge the upturn. It could still backfire, sure. But what does crapping on them achieve exactly?

Sutter has been injured, Roussel hasn't been good this year...

Roussel is a spark plug and has 7 points in 14 games and is a +2 after returing form serious injury.

The only depth players that have met or exceeded expectations are Motte and Gaudette.

Virtanen? Pearson? Leivo?

Good teams usually have ten players who are consistently good, not including the goalie. Our team has 5-6. We are the Edmonton Oilers with better goaltending and a weaker top line. 

No player (that doesn't take PEDs) can perform at the highest level for 82 games. There are always ups and down, hot streaks an dcold streaks, but let's see. Ten players that are consistently good this year: EP, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Pearson, Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Motte. That's ten. Who are the ten on the Bruins or the Capitals? (for the latter you may not pick Nic Dowd nor Brendan Leipsic)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

This team with a Mike Smith on it, is a bad team. Hate to say it to you but you gotta take off your rose coloured glasses on this one. Bo has no consistency this season, Brock has no consistency this season, our supporting staff is hardly supporting. The depth we thought this team was loaded with has underwhelmed tremendously. 

Hughes, Petey and Miller isn't enough to be a good team without great goaltending to carry the slack for the rest of the underperforming cast this year. Bo should be dominating games like he's done the past few years, Brock should be able to hit the net like the last few years, Ferland has been injured, the defense has been poor for 75% of the year (Markstrom faces 5 grade A chances every game since after the first ten games), Sutter has been injured, Roussel hasn't been good this year... The only depth players that have met or exceeded expectations are Motte and Gaudette. Good teams usually have ten players who are consistently good, not including the goalie. Our team has 5-6. We are the Edmonton Oilers with better goaltending and a weaker top line. 

if you are so down on this team , maybe go find another team to cheer for.  and sorry I laughed when you said good teams  usually have ten players who are consistently good. where did you get that stats from?   

19 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This....

On 1/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, bree2 said:

if you are so down on this team , maybe go find another team to cheer for.  and sorry I laughed when you said good teams  usually have ten players who are consistently good. where did you get that stats from?   

From watching good teams. And I'm not down on the team, I criticise it on a public forum. That's allowed here, lady. We discuss the team. It doesn't state in the rules that only positive things can be said. 

Look at Boston, look at Washington, look at Tampa, all of the best teams consistently have around 10 good players on them. It's not a magical formula, it just exists. It's called depth. Have you heard?