The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Habs interested in Baertschi prior to signing Kovalchuk

Friedman said it during the intermission of the earlier games. I only have hearsay tweets, but i'll turn this rumour into a report once Friedman writes something in 31 thoughts or video surfaces.

Honestly, if it was anything, even a bag of pucks, the Canucks should have taken it. Maybe Habs wanted us to take cap back and it's a hard no. We'll see how this plays out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Friedman said it during the intermission of the earlier games. I only have hearsay tweets, but i'll turn this rumour into a report once Friedman writes something in 31 thoughts or video surfaces.

Honestly, if it was anything, even a bag of pucks, the Canucks should have taken it. Maybe Habs wanted us to take cap back and it's a hard no. We'll see how this plays out.

He was put on waivers so Mtl could've had him for free, so if it did get to talking stages it must've fallen apart due to taking cap back.

• Cheers 1

Having Baertschi as depth for a long playoff run is a good thing for the Canucks.  If he continues his solid production in the AHL and has a solid playoff run in Utica and/or in Vancouver, then teams could become interested again.  Trade him in the off-season when teams might take a chance on him with only a one year contract remaining.

I feel for the guy as I think he is an NHL player, but from a Canucks perspective, this is a pretty good situation.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Between now and the trade deadline, it is totally possible that a team will need a guy like Baertschi

It's like saying someone would want Gagner or Spooner. Don't get your hopes up.

Montreal got Kovy for league minimum. They likely wanted us to retain 50% cap, which then only saves us like 800k of cap space. Doesn't really mean much.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

It's like saying someone would want Gagner or Spooner. Don't get your hopes up.

Montreal got Kovy for league minimum. They likely wanted us to retain 50% cap, which then only saves us like 800k of cap space. Doesn't really mean much.

If they threw in a half decent draft pick it would be worth considering.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If they threw in a half decent draft pick it would be worth considering.

No chance anyone throws in a pick for a guy that they could've had for free.  

Looking back Baer usually got a "B" on his player report card, was on pace for a career season last from from a points per game perspective, nobody complained about his contract when signed, and is tearing it up in the AHL.

He is only 27 and has just one year left on his contract after this. As much as I am surprised he got cut from our roster I am equally as surprised nobody wanted to take a chance on him. 

If the offer for Baertschi was say Dale Weise I still would have taken it to clear cap for next season. That said I am hoping he makes a comeback and plays well. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Having Baertschi as depth for a long playoff run is a good thing for the Canucks.  If he continues his solid production in the AHL and has a solid playoff run in Utica and/or in Vancouver, then teams could become interested again.  Trade him in the off-season when teams might take a chance on him with only a one year contract remaining.

I feel for the guy as I think he is an NHL player, but from a Canucks perspective, this is a pretty good situation.  

Benning moves Baer by the TDL because it should be for maximum value. His CAP hit is the biggest issue. Any acquiring team is likely a playoff bound team looking for injury relief. Benning has to jump on that kinda deal. 

8 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

That's a pretty smart take on the situation.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, 6string said:

Fraudman is an actor with some connection benefits.

Otherwise another useless journalist.

He was a great sportscaster with unique insight and honest delivery until he joined Leaf nation. Now he's just boring and fake. 

But rich. Is it worth it? hmmmmmm

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1