The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Habs interested in Baertschi prior to signing Kovalchuk

8 hours ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Having Baertschi as depth for a long playoff run is a good thing for the Canucks.  If he continues his solid production in the AHL and has a solid playoff run in Utica and/or in Vancouver, then teams could become interested again.  Trade him in the off-season when teams might take a chance on him with only a one year contract remaining.

I feel for the guy as I think he is an NHL player, but from a Canucks perspective, this is a pretty good situation.  

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It's like saying someone would want Gagner or Spooner. Don't get your hopes up.

Montreal got Kovy for league minimum. They likely wanted us to retain 50% cap, which then only saves us like 800k of cap space. Doesn't really mean much.

What if we take 1/4? That leaves another team with $2.5m and can't they bury $700,000 in the minors? That would only leave them with a $1.75m cap hit next year. I would like to think there will be takers come the deadline.

It is pretty clear that no teams want to take on cap beyond this season as they don’t know what is gonna f to happen with the ceiling.

Only four teams have more than $5 million in cap space left, there aren’t a bunch of cap floor teams anymore.  A few more have LTIR space, but don’t seem to want to use it up.

Just now, Provost said:

It is pretty clear that no teams want to take on cap beyond this season as they don’t know what is gonna f to happen with the ceiling.

Only four teams have more than $5 million in cap space left, there aren’t a bunch of cap floor teams anymore.  A few more have LTIR space, but don’t seem to want to use it up.

It's going to jump up huge if the US TV deal goes through ... or no?

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Bergevin won't trade for Baer because a) it makes sense, and b) he's not french.

Swiss-German just isn't Swiss-French. 

Kovy is from the French part of Russia I guess.

Trading for Baer has risk going into next season, Kovy didn't, that's why there was no deal.

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably not for a couple years though, and maybe not as much as folks think because there is a lot of catching up to do before breaking even on escrow.  It is artificially high at the moment due to the escalator clause.

Edited by Provost

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess the uncertainty is why teams rather wait and see next year rather than make moves expecting the cap to increase and it doesn't. If the cap goes up significantly, then we are laughing as well with or without Baertschi.

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What if we take 1/4? That leaves another team with $2.5m and can't they bury $700,000 in the minors? That would only leave them with a $1.75m cap hit next year. I would like to think there will be takers come the deadline.

But teams acquiring him are hoping he can be an NHL player, they aren't looking at burying him as well, which in your case still adds over a million cap hit while not playing for their big club. That's still going to cost assets to mitigate that risk for them.

Sounds like there was no negotiations, just Friedman saying they may have had some preliminary interest. But obviously a league minimum guy on a two way and a 1 year contract is a lot more appealing. Baer is the superior player, but at nearly 4mil for one more season after this one with a one way contract their interest never really manifested into negotiating with Benning. Cap is very valuable, if you're gonna gamble on somebody make it as low risk as possible. 

10 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Hate on me all you people want but I still like Baertschi and hope he stays.

I'd like to think most people here like him and appreciate what he brought. I don't figure you'll get hate, I imagine you're probably not alone in that camp. I would say you're probably the minority though, we'll need to free up cap space somehow and burying him in Utica isn't good for anyone but the Comets. 

He looks to have lost his spot in the lineup, if he finds his way back I imagine a lot of folks will be rooting for him to succeed. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Kovy is from the French part of Russia I guess.

Trading for Baer has risk going into next season, Kovy didn't, that's why there was no deal.

it also has potentially a lot more upside too. Right now, Baer could play up and down their top 3 lines and has more potential to be useful 5 on 5 and on the PP than a well past his prime Kovy. Taking back Weise, a guy they don't want anyway, makes it free for this year. 

But sure lets worry about next year, maybe this year they get a high pick in the lotto. Bergevin inherited a contending team in its prime and has driven it into the ground. 

12 hours ago, Rounoush said:

He should have been given the chance to play with Bo and Tanner after Leivo went down with injury...instead we stuck Loser#21 and his 6m useless arse in that spot permanently instead....because you know he has prior success in our top 6 and all.

Sure looks like no matter what, Sven won't be getting a chance to play on our roster again...which is sad to see but that is the GM/coaches decision.

I could almost guarantee if Sven was given the 2-3 months in that spot while Leivo was injured he would regain his form and would have out produced Loser#21 easily!

• Wat 1

The deal that would make the most sense for the Canucks/Habs would probably be:

Sven Baertschi

Zane MacIntyre

for

Keith Kinkaid

Hayden Verbeek

Late Round Pick

--

Keep Keith in the minors (essentially taking the place of MacIntyre), his salary sort of evens out with Sven's and Kinkaid's contract expires in June. Kinkaid basically takes on MacIntyre's role on the team and he gets to "mentor" DiPetro for half the year. Verbeek is a throw in as a depth prospect to even out the contracts and to help relieve the pressure that is on the Utica Comets right now in the fact that all of their C's are basically injured or called up. Verbeek has 2 years on his deal so it gives the Canucks time to determine if he could be part of their future or not. Verbeek has bounced around the AHL and ECHL this year, so I don't see the Habs being that worried about losing him. Pick to balance out the fact that the Canucks are helping the Habs out with their scoring/winger woes at the NHL level.

That's just an idea. Doubt Baertschi goes to the Habs but I wouldn't be shocked if a deal for him was centered around those players if a move were to be made.

• Wat 1

16 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Stays in the AHL? Yeah, me too.

When a team with half its top 6 injured chooses to sign Kovalchuck after the Kings literally walked away from him, should tell you what Svens value is. Less than 0.