The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Habs interested in Baertschi prior to signing Kovalchuk

17 minutes ago, the grinder said:

baer plus brisebrois for kovy then   that's reasonable  

Baer 50% retained for a mid/late pick is probably the best we can hope for at this point. Would only be $1.65 mil for one more season, vs. a buyout in june at $1.76 mil next season, $800k the season after.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Baer 50% retained for a mid/late pick is probably the best we can hope for at this point. Would only be $1.65 mil for one more season, vs. a buyout in june at $1.76 mil next season, $800k the season after.

I agree, although we may even be hard pressed getting a pick back even at 50% retained. There's just no market for guys like Baertschi, especially since he isn't on an expiring contract. I would even take back another expiring contract instead of a pick if the pick wasn't an option. Still beats a buy out.

Edited by VIC_CITY

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree, although we may even be hard pressed getting a pick back even at 50% retained. There's just no market for guys like Baertschi, especially since he isn't on an expiring contract. I would even take back another expiring contract instead of a pick if the pick wasn't an option. Still beats a buy out.

If Mtl kicked the baer-can around, makes me think there's a potential trade partner out there. 

+ if he were designated to the minors, his new team would only have about a 600k cap hit.

Edited by Chickenspear

8 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

ya just trying to think out side the box  , kovy could help on bo wing with really no risk or cost ,   , habs get breezy and baer  , canucks retain some salary  maybe throw in 5th rounder or something to that effect

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

If Mtl kicked the baer-can around, makes me think there's a potential trade partner out there. 

+ if he were designated to the minors, his new team would only have about a 600k cap hit.

3.666 as he still gets paid this.

Half is 1.833

Where did 600k come from?

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Yes, of 3.666

Just kinda re-reading off capfriendly here... 

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:

1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:

• A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

If we retain 50% of Baer's salary($3,366,666/2=$1,683,333) to, say, mtl, then they bury him in the minors, that takes another $1.075 mil off mtl's cap hit leaving it at $608,333, (original math was right) while we still get hit with the $1,683,333 regardless... or am I missing something here?

40 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Just kinda re-reading off capfriendly here... 

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:

1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:

• A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.

If we retain 50% of Baer's salary($3,366,666/2=$1,683,333) to, say, mtl, then they bury him in the minors, that takes another $1.075 mil off mtl's cap hit leaving it at $608,333, (original math was right) while we still get hit with the $1,683,333 regardless... or am I missing something here?

They get 1.075 cushion 

They still are hit/pay him with 1.683 in salary.

Is Baertschi worth 600k? Definitely.

Will a team trade for him knowing his history and contract? 

I'm starting to think GMJB planned this, canucks make playoffs this year and voila!

Baertschi Goldobin and Tryamkin are back in Vancouver

As once playoffs start theres no more salary cap restriction.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, awalk said:

Can't believe Benning turned down three 1st round picks for Baertschi 

Montreal probably wanted a 2nd in addition to Baertschi. Benning was concerned about being accused of giving away 2nds like they were candy so he passed on the deal.

On the other hand, maybe Montreal tried to unload Alzner (with some retention) and a pick/prospect for Baertschi.

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Montreal probably wanted a 2nd in addition to Baertschi. Benning was concerned about being accused of giving away 2nds like they were candy so he passed on the deal.

On the other hand, maybe Montreal tried to unload Alzner (with some retention) and a pick/prospect for Baertschi.

regards,  G.

I read somewhere that Dale Weise was supposed to be coming back our way but it didn't work out. Can't remember where I read it but I'm sure there was more involved on our end as Weise makes $1M less and is on an expiring deal. 

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Sooo....

Bärtschi for Kovalchuk at the deadline?

Wish we grabbed him when we had a shot;) Kovy just playing ever deadly! What a steal for that price! Love to have Carey too that would just be slick asf! Marky + Suter + Myers +  and our Second for

Weber + Price and 25-35% salary retained + Kovalchuck;) why not lolol wishful thinking but what evs:) 

Edited by KnuckleHead16
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

What if mtl eats 2.5 of prices salary?

7.5 is manageable especially with loui and marky being moved out.

Bergevin told LeBrun that he is not trading Price or Weber - said he's not even interested in listening to offers.