The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WASTING POWER PLAYS

Rate this topic

rainel

A group of us watch the games and we have just been dying  lately whenever  Canucks have power plays.  The  guys seem to be  wasting the whole time  passing, passing, and passing. When the team started up  last year they would just shoot those nice hard shots. Now, not so much !  Let's get back to those shots on the net ! JUST SHOOT ! 

Also..................we really missed seeing Trevor Linden at the  festivities  

• Haha 3
  • Wat 9

14 minutes ago, rainel said:

A group of us watch the games and we have just been dying  lately whenever  Canucks have power plays.  The  guys seem to be  wasting the whole time  passing, passing, and passing. When the team started up  last year they would just shoot those nice hard shots. Now, not so much !  Let's get back to those shots on the net ! JUST SHOOT ! 

Seems to be working out just fine...

64F309B3-7D0A-41A6-ACC4-10E8CF29730C.png

Edited by timmylu1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, luckylager said:

One common critisism of the PP is once they set up in the Ozone, they don't really move all that much.

I was raging on and on about our static set up, but then the PP% went up... and up.

I don't like the set up, but I'm happy with the results thus far. Couldn't hurt to be a little more fluid, mobile, but we're winning, so I'll shut up about it.

I can't disagree with anything here. I think we are always hoping for more and sometimes ( like now) things are way better than they appear. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, luckylager said:

One common critisism of the PP is once they set up in the Ozone, they don't really move all that much.

I was raging on and on about our static set up, but then the PP% went up... and up.

I don't like the set up, but I'm happy with the results thus far. Couldn't hurt to be a little more fluid, mobile, but we're winning, so I'll shut up about it.

They took Brock off the halfwall again and put him in front, and Miller is over there now.

The 2nd unity needs more opportunity first, as well, just to keep things fresh for the top guys.

50 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm no expert, but sometimes the shooting lanes we think we see on TV are not the shooting lanes the players actually see at ice level.

Also, yelling 'Shoot!' at the TV does not actually make a player on the ice shoot the puck, This, I do know.

You're right, I yelled at QH to shoot before he went behind the net, i was about to say it to Horvat but he passed to Myers and i yelled at him to pass it back.... Damn none of those players listened to me!! lol

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

You're right, I yelled at QH to shoot before he went behind the net, i was about to say it to Horvat but he passed to Myers and i yelled at him to pass it back.... Damn none of those players listened to me!! lol

Hahaha. Oh ya, I still do it!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, xereau said:

They took Brock off the halfwall again and put him in front, and Miller is over there now.

The 2nd unity needs more opportunity first, as well, just to keep things fresh for the top guys.

Yeah I really don't understand why Brock is the net front presence. If they like Miller on the half wall, Brock and Bo should swap out in that high slot

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yeah I really don't understand why Brock is the net front presence. If they like Miller on the half wall, Brock and Bo should swap out in that high slot

Because he's not scoring and Miller is?

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Honestly it's because we have one of the most skilled powerplays in the league. An all star dman, 2 all star forwards (Brock and Petey, Brock is obviously arguable), a super high iq player in Miller and a pretty skillful player in Bo. All 5 of those guys have high skill level, we have 2 elite shooters, 3 very high iq players and a whole bunch of other reasons as to why they're so good. 

However, they have one of the weakest set ups for how much skill they do have. Brock and Petey never offer a secondary pass option because they refuse to go down low on the far side, we only play the middle man in the high slot for a bumper play and never to threaten a scoring chance so even though statistically we do well, it's because of the skill, not because of the strategy. They'd easily be the top powerplay if they just switched up their performance and continued not to force the pk to move. 

This is a decent regular season powerplay, but one that will go goalless real quick when it matters in the playoffs. 

I watch a lot of Oilers being from around Edmonton and I can tell you, they don't have the same level of skill but they force the opposition to move to cover dangerous positions which opens up another dangerous position which is usually Neal or Draisaitl. They don't have any real offensive defenseman, they have elite iq in McDavid and Draisaitl and they open the space up for other players on the team. They have far less skill overall in comparison but they're miles ahead of our PP. The times when they don't score is when they play like ours does. 

9 times out of 10 the guy with the puck on our powerplay only has 1 option to pass to, which once scouted is super predictable. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rainel said:

dying lately?  didn't you watch the hawks vs the canucks?  hughes blast from the point on pp , 4 th best powerplay and your dying  poor snowflakes

1 hour ago, rainel said:

You mean that season when they were 22nd in the league at 17.13%?

modern family gloria pritchett GIF

• Cheers 1

This is all I have to say about our PP.   When our first unit is out they pass it too much - just like the Sedins used to - and try hard to catch the other side and when it works (maybe 1-4) it looks pretty.   Where as our second unit goes out - shoots the puck almost right away and creates a lot of confusion and scrambling infront of the net.  We lose possession more but it's actually quite effective- especially since JV and Myers were added.  The two units balance out to more then we probably deserve as in - heck why should I complain, top in the league as far as drawing penalties (thank you EP), and top five in actual delivery.  Fire Brown fire Green fire everyone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1