The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olympics Deadline set (August) - Balls in Bettman’s court

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

The Olympics is a display of the worlds greatest athletes and is enjoyed by every hockey fan when our best are in there. 

The Olympics is as much a business as people say the NHL is these days and has less and less to do with 'worlds greatest athletes' anymore. 

At the end of the day, money talks.  If the IOC/IIHF were to acquiesce and give the NHL owners some sort of compensation for interrupting the season and putting their assets at risk through fatigue/injury, then this matter would be settled right quick imo - cost effectiveness as you mentioned could be solved really quickly through a cash pay-out.   However the IOC/IIHF is used to telling entire nations what to do, not the other way around where a lowly pro-sports league should dare tell the omnipotent IOC what they should be doing and how. 

This is a power struggle, we all know it. 

McDavid and Mathews on this matter:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1904016

Two of the NHL's biggest stars are voicing their hope that the league will return to the Olympics.

Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers want a chance to represent their respective countries on the world's biggest stage. They expressed their feelings one day after IIHF president Rene Fasel said the NHL has been given until the end of August to determine whether it will send players to Beijing in 2022.

"A lot of guys take a lot of pride in playing for their country, so the Olympics is top of the tops as far as that goes," Matthews said on Monday ahead of his matchup with McDavid, according to Sportsnet's Luke Fox. "That'd be a pretty amazing experience to be able to put on the U.S. jersey and play in a tournament, for sure."

McDavid feels the same way.

"Anytime you get a chance to represent Canada on a best-on-best tournament, it's always so special and makes for the best hockey. So, I definitely hope that I get that opportunity one day," he said. 

The NHL didn't send its players to the games in 2018 for the first time since 1998. Matthews and McDavid are just two of the numerous players who have said they'd relish the opportunity to play in the Olympics. 

However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman remained resistant to the idea when asked about it in November, saying the tournament is "incredibly disruptive" to the NHL season.

The most recent best-on-best tournament for players over 20 years old was the World Cup of Hockey in 2016, when Matthews and McDavid dazzled as linemates on Team North America. Both players have also received a taste of international play at the world juniors and world championship.

Matthews is currently second in the NHL in goals this season with 28, while McDavid is tied for the league-lead in points with 65 through 44 contests.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I'm fine watching NHL washouts represent Canada. Maybe we'll see a lot of former Canucks like last time. The who's who of "who"? 

Really? No thanks, if I liked washed up hockey I would watch that Spenglers Cup tournament (or whatever it’s called). Might as well watch a beer league game at 8 Rinks...

• Cheers 1

Last Olympics was the first one I didn't even bother to watch (hockey that is). Seeing Willy D behind Canada's bench and a bunch of washed up players lose to Germany... No thx.

Its once every 4 years, everyone wants to see the best of the best go at it. The players want it, the fans want it. Just frigging do it! 2010 was a dream, never had so much fun at a hockey game as I did with my family cheering for Canada.

I can understand not wanting a yearly world cup as that can be disruptive.. But once every 4 years to represent your country AND market the game world wide?! 

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Really? No thanks, if I liked washed up hockey I would watch that Spenglers Cup tournament (or whatever it’s called). Might as well watch a beer league game at 8 Rinks...

I agree.  I have no issues sending college kids and junior players.  They should be able to provide some fast, competitive, and very entertaining hockey.  I do have a problem with sending some washed up plugs like James Wizniewski who haven't been relevant in hockey for years.  Its basically a glorified mens league game at that point. 

As to my opinion on the NHL in the Olympics....unless the IOC is willing to make some kind of compensation to the league or teams, I'm on the side of Bettman and the NHL.  Why should the NHL take ALL the risks in this situation when there is very little in guaranteed incentives.  "Here NHL, here's a broken Tavarez for you, thanks.  Just make sure he's ready in 4 years cause we want him back for the next one too!"