The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2020-2021 Roster Issues

Rate this topic

Provost

Well, I think it's tight...….but I see this

#1. Trade Tim Schaller (UFA) 2020..cost $1,900,000...retain 50% at TDL...actual cost to trading team....$350,000 for remaining part of year..return  2020 3rd

#2. Trade Baertschi (UFA) 2021+ Jet Woo....Cost $3,000,000...

#3. Loui Eriksson retires or mutual contract termination after Bonus is paid...…………………$6,000,000

#4. Trade Benn at TDL with $500,000 retained...………………………………………..savings 1,500,000

*These 4 transactions bank the Canucks $12,400,000 + 2.500,000 cap increase = $14,900,000...………...

I see this totally realistic to expect and will cover all expenditures for the 2020-2021 season.

My rationale for moving Woo, if needed, is that I think he is somewhat expendable...…..(I love him, but if needed, he creates the least pain to loose)

What Rafferty proves is that bottom 4 defenseman are not to hard to find, and with having both Rafferty and Tryamkin coming back, there will be more time to replace

Woo...…….IMO, Benning needs a #1 RHD, and I do not think Woo is that...….nice prospect, but not a core piece either.

Now before everyone gets their nickers in a knot......I am merely saying that there are simple moves out there to clean up any small messes we will have for next year....

The bigger concerns are for the year after.....that is when we need the extra cap

Edited by janisahockeynut

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1. Trade Tim Schaller (UFA) 2020..cost $1,900,000...retain 50% at TDL...actual cost to trading team....$350,000 for remaining part of year..return  2020 3rd

#3. Loui Eriksson retires or mutual contract termination after Bonus is paid...…………………$6,000,000

#4. Trade Benn at TDL with $500,000 retained...………………………………………..savings 1,500,000

*These 4 transactions bank the Canucks $12,400,000 + 2.500,000 cap increase = $14,900,000...………...

I see this totally realistic to expect and will cover all expenditures for the 2020-2021 season.

My rationale for moving Woo, if needed, is that I think he is somewhat expendable...…..(I love him, but if needed, he creates the least pain to loose)

What Rafferty proves is that bottom 4 defenseman are not to hard to find, and with having both Rafferty and Tryamkin coming back, there will be more time to replace

Woo...…….IMO, Benning needs a #1 RHD, and I do not think Woo is that...….nice prospect, but not a core piece either.

Now before everyone gets their nickers in a knot......I am merely saying that there are simple moves out there to clean up any small messes we will have for next year....

The bigger concerns are for the year after.....that is when we need the extra cap

I don't particularly love the specific trades, but something to the effect seems fairly necessary.  Doing it this season vs. waiting until the draft or summer helps out immensely as it means we have cap space to cover the ELC bonuses we are accruing rather than pushing then and stealing cap space from next year which will be even tighter.

We are so deep into LTIR, it would be almost impossible to make enough moves at this point in the year to bring us enough under the cap to pay for the bonuses though.  We can't start banking cap space until we have fewer players whether injured or not.  We are $1.5 million over the cap not including LTIR, and with half the season left that basically means moving a $3 million salary just to get under the cap.  A buried Baertschi costs us $2.3, so pro-rated for half a season saves us $1.15.

I could also see Sutter being tradeable depending on what we want to give up to do it.  Those two moves puts us in the clear both this season and next.  If we believe Alfives wet dream of Eriksson simply vanishing after this year, then we would be golden.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Roussel, Pearson, Bears and LE's money will cover both QH and EP  deals (with only two of the four getting replaced with league minimums).   I believe our roster will shorten one or two spots - maybe even next year but the following one for sure.   That is when we will be forced to trade a first for the last year of LEs contract if he hasn't retired already.    This summer we have nine guys that need new contracts - 8 of them are roster regulars.   Not all of them will get new ones (McEwen and Gravroc,  Fatburgers and possibly Tanev).  Stetcher, JV and JM all get modest to big raises which will eat away at the roster too, Tanev a short similar deal or he's replaced with a cheaper vet.

Three  things I see happening.  One we trade Demko if we can't sign him to a short bridge for scrap because that's all we will get with other teams setting their goalies for the ED -  Two, after next season if LE won't retire we are forced to make a Marleau like trade.  Three, we shorten our roster from 23-21 (including any guys like Ferland) to help pay for QH and EP.   I believe TO has done this as well as other teams too (to stay under the cap).  

We lose on Pearson, Roussel, Demko, Bear, LE and possibly a first  - the price to pay for JM raise/ED, QH and EP on long term deals.  Of those guys Demko is replaced with a cheap vet(s), and Pearson with Hogs or internally - Roussel with AHLers and LE with nobody same with Bear.   Our 13th guy is an AHLer/prospect.  

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Roussel, Pearson, Bears and LE's money will cover both QH and EP  deals (with only two of the four getting replaced with league minimums).   I believe our roster will shorten one or two spots - maybe even next year but the following one for sure.   That is when we will be forced to trade a first for the last year of LEs contract if he hasn't retired already.    This summer we have nine guys that need new contracts - 8 of them are roster regulars.   Not all of them will get new ones (McEwen and Gravroc,  Fatburgers and possibly Tanev).  Stetcher, JV and JM all get modest to big raises which will eat away at the roster too, Tanev a short similar deal or he's replaced with a cheaper vet.

Three  things I see happening.  One we trade Demko if we can't sign him to a short bridge for scrap because that's all we will get with other teams setting their goalies for the ED -  Two, after next season if LE won't retire we are forced to make a Marleau like trade.  Three, we shorten our roster from 23-21 (including any guys like Ferland) to help pay for QH and EP.   I believe TO has done this as well as other teams too (to stay under the cap).  

We lose on Pearson, Roussel, Demko, Bear, LE and possibly a first  - the price to pay for JM raise/ED, QH and EP on long term deals.  Of those guys Demko is replaced with a cheap vet(s), and Pearson with Hogs or internally - Roussel with AHLers and LE with nobody same with Bear.   Our 13th guy is an AHLer/prospect.  

Roussel and Eriksson’s contracts aren’t up until a year after the ELCs expire... so there is absolutely worry for that season as well.

You have to assume at least a $9 million Petterson contract and a $7 million Hughes contract and that is being VERY conservative.  $14 million in raises is a lot of money to find and replace with cheap help.  Pearson and Sutter’s $9 million is replaced by Hoglander and Podkolzin’s $2 million so that is just $7 million of the $14 we need to find.

We can hope that Demko is ready and we can expose Markstrom to expansion and he is taken that could free up money.

The moral of the story is that there is work to do for our cap issues and there will be a cost to that... it won’t just work out naturally.

The year after that when the Luongo recapture is done, and Eriksson is gone, we start looking good again.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Roussel and Eriksson’s contracts aren’t up until a year after the ELCs expire... so there is absolutely worry for that season as well.

You have to assume at least a $9 million Petterson contract and a $7 million Hughes contract and that is being VERY conservative.  $14 million in raises is a lot of money to find and replace with cheap help.  Pearson and Sutter’s $9 million is replaced by Hoglander and Podkolzin’s $2 million so that is just $7 million of the $14 we need to find.

We can hope that Demko is ready and we can expose Markstrom to expansion and he is taken that could free up money.

The moral of the story is that there is work to do for our cap issues and there will be a cost to that... it won’t just work out naturally.

The year after that when the Luongo recapture is done, and Eriksson is gone, we start looking good again.

Yep a lot of change is coming.   Thought we signed Roussel to three years - next would be his last (AR)... Beagle was four which means he's off the books after next season.    Was looking at the cap last night but didnt bother double checking Roussel..

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep a lot of change is coming.   Thought we signed Roussel to three years - next would be his last (AR)... Beagle was four which means he's off the books after next season.    Was looking at the cap last night but didnt bother double checking Roussel..

Yep, Beagle and Roussel come off just in time to pay for Boeser's pay raise :)  

We have Eriksson and Luongo money coming off at the same time to add a significant piece at that point.

Lots can change, but by then (3 years from now) our roster probably looks something like:

Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin
XXX-Gaudette-Virtanen
XXX-XXX-XXX

Hughes-Myers
Juolevi-XXX
Edler-XXX

Markstrom or Demko
XXXX

Not too shabby to "likely" have our top 6 forwards set for the foreseeable future.

Well, first off, I do not think Pettersson will get 9.0 M...……….Kyle Connor in Winnipeg signed for 7.1 long term with the same stat numbers, Laine signed for a bridge for 6.75, etc.....I see Pettersson signing for around 7.5 to 7.75 Million long term. Hughes will probably sign in the 6.0 to 6.5 Million long term. Boeser will sign for about 7.00 by the time his contract expires.

I am of the mind that Hoglander (1M) and Tryamkin (3M) are on the team next year. Probably Sutter is gone, as well as Leivo, neither will cost us anything and will bring back

middle round picks (3rds). The Canucks don't need Eriksson's money until Pettersson and Hughes contracts are due, so he may even hang around for another year.

I think Benn is gone at this TDL as for this years cap purposes, he would be really cheap for another team.....aka.....$400,000, which is a cheap depth player. Canucks carry 1/2 his cap and get a mid pick for him and save a million next year. They might do the same thing to Baertschi, as it saves them about another $400,000, if they retain 1/2 over sending him to the minors again.

Schaller is not resigned and that gives them another 1.9 M, and the cap should go up another 2.5 Million...…….Not looking at either Sutter or Leivo for a second, the other savings and cap increase would be...…….about 5.8 million this year, which I think is pretty close to enough for this summer.....regardless of Sutter, and Leivo, which would be another 5.8 million, when it is needed....

Markstrom is the question...how much does he get? I don't believe he get 6 Million, but will probably get a 2 Million dollar raise, which would bring him in at $5.666,000 for 4 years

I think we have enough, with not too many bumps.

Certainly a lot of senario's that could happen.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I have calculated 66.5 million committed to next year, which includes Ferland and Sutter on the roster, Baertschi buried, Spooner buyout, Luongo recapture and 3 million in potential bonus overages. That's 10 forwards, 4 dmen and 1 goalie. Let's be conservative with the cap increase and say it goes up to 83.5 (+2 million). So we have 17 million in cap space.

Sign Marky for 6, Virtanen 3.5, Gaudette 1.75 (bridge), Motte 1.5, Tryamkin 2.5, call up Rafferty 700k, sign Fantenberg level player for 850k = 16.8 million and a full roster.

If Sutter or Ferland (or anyone else) go on LTIR to start the year, then that frees up more space. If we make any trades of the unwanted assets (we could buyout Sven and that would save us I believe 800k or so for next year if we need a bit more wiggle room). The cap may go up even more which has us laughing, or it doesn't go up as much and that's where the buyout comes in for Sven if we can't trade him. We could bury a contract like LE for another million in savings if there is a stand out prospect like Hoglander or Lind that earn a spot.

Very similar roster to this year and while it can be deemed as Tanev and Stecher to Tryamkin and Rafferty as a "downgrade", have to take into account that the young guys are getting another year more of experience and may become better players as well. Tryamkin is a wildcard in all of this for sure, so it's a wait and see if he returns and how he fares. Then make adjustments accordingly.

@Provost Just curious if I am missing something. I don't see an urgent need to move any assets to gain cap space for next season. It would give us more breathing room, but I think it's manageable without any major cost.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

@Provost Just curious if I am missing something. I don't see an urgent need to move any assets to gain cap space for next season. It would give us more breathing room, but I think it's manageable without any major cost.

As per the thread.  You are missing several points....  you roster calculation also includes just Baertschi's buried cap hit but includes his body on the roster.  You also can't just account for Ferland and Sutter being on LTIR because you actually have to be cap compliant and would have had to make all the signing decisions before they would go on LTIR... neither of them has indicated that their careers have ended, not even close.

Unless we move out some players this season, we have no room to pay the $3.7 million in ELC bonuses that it appears is virtually certain Petterson and Hughes will earn (those bonuses can't be paid out of LTIR because they are not replacing injured players).... unless there is some memorandum of agreement regarding that specifically that someone can point to... we never sent Petterson or Hughes down and brought them up to replace injured LTIR players so that we can use the Performance Bonus Relief Pool as a cushion.

Petterson. Eriksson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Baertschi, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Roussel are all signed for a total of $44.5 million
Edler, Myers, Hughes, and Benn are signed for a total of $15 million
Demko is signed for $1.05 million

That is a total of $60.5 million for 16 players
Luongo and Spooner turn that into $64.5 million cap hit

Petterson and Hughes pushed ELC bonuses at this moment without moves will mean another $3.7 in dead money next year bring our total to $68.2 million

Assuming a $2 million cap increase, we now have about $15.3 million to pay for 7 players, assuming we keep Baertschi on the roster, or $16.3 million to sign 8 players if we keep him buried.

Markstrom = $5-6
Virtanen = $2.5-4.5 (high end if he scores 20 goals and 40 points and elects arbitration)
Gaudette = $1.5 million or more
Tanev (or another top 4 D if we have to replace him = $5 million

That already equals around $14-17 million and we would still have another 4 players to sign with Baertschi buried and we are already at the cap max.  Burying guys frees up only a million and it will cost close to that much to replace them, nowhere enough relief to be found with that method.  So we are now anywhere from $3-4 million over the cap already at that point and have also downgraded our roster significantly by filling spots with bottom end players making between $750k to $1 million.  We have lost Leivo's great value contribution, and Stecher's great value contribution, we probably can't even afford Motte's great value contribution.

But wait... there is more!  There is no way we can allow the almost inevitable max ELC bonuses for Petterson and Hughes from next season to get pushed into 2021-22.... because we will have to be paying full retail for them at the time as well and still won't be out from under Luongo/Eriksson so have no room to push those bonuses at all.  That means we have to have cap cushion of $3 million plus.

... so now we are $6.5-7.5 over our cap next year including the ELC bonuses that can't be pushed.

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

As per the thread.  You are missing several points....  you roster calculation also includes just Baertschi's buried cap hit but includes his body on the roster.  You also can't just account for Ferland and Sutter being on LTIR because you actually have to be cap compliant and would have had to make all the signing decisions before they would go on LTIR... neither of them has indicated that their careers have ended, not even close.

Unless we move out some players this season, we have no room to pay the $3.7 million in ELC bonuses that it appears is virtually certain Petterson and Hughes will earn (those bonuses can't be paid out of LTIR because they are not replacing injured players).... unless there is some memorandum of agreement regarding that specifically that someone can point to... we never sent Petterson or Hughes down and brought them up to replace injured LTIR players so that we can use the Performance Bonus Relief Pool as a cushion.

Petterson. Eriksson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Baertschi, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Roussel are all signed for a total of $44.5 million
Edler, Myers, Hughes, and Benn are signed for a total of $15 million
Demko is signed for $1.05 million

That is a total of $60.5 million for 16 players
Luongo and Spooner turn that into $64.5 million cap hit

Petterson and Hughes pushed ELC bonuses at this moment without moves will mean another $3.7 in dead money next year bring our total to $68.2 million

Assuming a $2 million cap increase, we now have about $15.3 million to pay for 7 players, assuming we keep Baertschi on the roster, or $16.3 million to sign 8 players if we keep him buried.

Markstrom = $5-6
Virtanen = $2.5-4.5 (high end if he scores 20 goals and 40 points and elects arbitration)
Gaudette = $1.5 million or more
Tanev (or another top 4 D if we have to replace him = $5 million

That already equals around $14-17 million and we would still have another 4 players to sign with Baertschi buried and we are already at the cap max.  Burying guys frees up only a million and it will cost close to that much to replace them, nowhere enough relief to be found with that method.  So we are now anywhere from $3-4 million over the cap already at that point and have also downgraded our roster significantly by filling spots with bottom end players making between $750k to $1 million.  We have lost Leivo's great value contribution, and Stecher's great value contribution, we probably can't even afford Motte's great value contribution.

But wait... there is more!  There is no way we can allow the almost inevitable max ELC bonuses for Petterson and Hughes from next season to get pushed into 2021-22.... because we will have to be paying full retail for them at the time as well and still won't be out from under Luongo/Eriksson so have no room to push those bonuses at all.  That means we have to have cap cushion of $3 million plus.

... so now we are $6.5-7.5 over our cap next year including the ELC bonuses that can't be pushed.

My calculations include Ferland and Sutter not on LTIR and if they are, that's simply more relief. I also have not included Baertschi in the roster. I have also added the potential bonus carryover from this year. I haven't calculated the potential carry over into 2021-2022, but that's for another year to worry about as we would need to assess next year and see what may happen. IMO, next season is manageable without any major asset cost. If the following season requires us to move out an asset, we have another year to assess what we need and what may be moveable especially after another draft.

You are assuming we sign Tanev, we may not and mostly likely won't because of the cap and it doesn't mean we replace him with a 5 million dollar player.

I believe JB will move Sutter, Stecher and Baer this season. Deals could be something like:

1) Sutter + Stecher (50%) to DET in return for a 2021 5th + Jonathan Ericsson

Cap out = $5.54m, Cap in = $4.25m, Ericsson is a 35 year old pending UFA

This gives DET a young replacement D for Ericsson, plus veteran C depth for one more year

2) Baer + 2020 3rd to OTT in return for 2020 4th

OTT looking to boost value of their picks and Baer provides a top 6 roster player for next season

VAN drops around 10-20 places in by switching these picks with OTT

I don't think Ericksson will be able to be moved until after next season.

Resign the following for 2020/21 (plenty of room to negotiate and keep this total below $21.6m):

Markstrom $5m

Virtanen $3.25m

Gaudette $2.0m

Leivo $1.8m

Motte $1.1m

Tanev $4.75m

Tryamkin $2.5m

Fantenberg $1.2m

Canucks roster for next season (total cap hit including all recapture, etc = $78.5m):

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Ferland Beagle Motte

Ericksson

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Tryamkin

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

Edited by BigTramFan
Forgot to add Gaudette

39 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I believe JB will move Sutter, Stecher and Baer this season. Deals could be something like:

1) Sutter + Stecher (50%) to DET in return for a 2021 5th + Jonathan Ericsson

Cap out = $5.54m, Cap in = $4.25m, Ericsson is a 35 year old pending UFA

This gives DET a young replacement D for Ericsson, plus veteran C depth for one more year

2) Baer + 2020 3rd to OTT in return for 2020 4th

OTT looking to boost value of their picks and Baer provides a top 6 roster player for next season

VAN drops around 10-20 places in by switching these picks with OTT

I don't think Ericksson will be able to be moved until after next season.

Resign the following for 2020/21 (plenty of room to negotiate and keep this total below $21.6m):

Markstrom $5m

Virtanen $3.25m

Gaudette $2.0m

Leivo $1.8m

Motte $1.1m

Tanev $4.75m

Tryamkin $2.5m

Fantenberg $1.2m

Canucks roster for next season (total cap hit including all recapture, etc = $78.5m):

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Ferland Beagle Motte

Ericksson

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Tryamkin

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

This is where the big IF comes in.

If league GM's play ball & make such deals^ with JB, we'll be fine. IF they don't, can't re-sign Tanev, & even Markstrom might be tough.

So making PO's becomes crucial, to take away that stress-factor(gifting a high 2021 pick, with a lesser roster) next season.

As pointed out by many, the Canucks will have cap issues next season and beyond. Obviously management will deal with it, but simply acknowledging that kills our fun in talking about it. I will not do a bunch of math as Provost and others have done some very good breakdowns on where the team is at dollars wise. Capfriendly is a good resource and we can all look up the Canucks. The guess is where does the cap go? It will bump over the next 5 years but by how much?

Signing Markstrom and Tanev is a bad idea I think as it will compound the cap issues. I agree they are both good players and I would like to keep them both but I just don't see how that makes sense against the cap. That said, I fully expect Markstrom signed. Likely a 5 yr 5+ deal with no trade protection. I just cannot see Tanev taking a discount deal (nor Markstrom). The reality is this likely is their last contract each (perhaps a 2 year ish contract after this depending on health/ability). Tanev is going to get 5 yr 5+ from someone in FA. I just can't see either of them taking a one year deal to help with the expansion draft either. If Markstrom is signed then Demko is traded in the next year (please let that be the case otherwise Benning will give up assets to protect him). If Tryamkin comes back then Stecher is gone. There are so many variables at play but Benning is certainly going to be challenged to get this straightened out. The main thing is the cap issue isn't resolved simply and it is a gift that keeps on giving - solving it for next season just pushes it to 21/22 and once Hughes and Pettersson are signed then Boeser needs a new deal the year after and then Bo and Miller the year after that. What about Virtanen, Leivo and Stecher? Pearson the following year? Benning has to at least lever "unaffordable" players into future assets.

Moves will need to be made. We all would love to see Eriksson retire after his bonus is paid. If that happens so many issues are solved. Perhaps there have been discussions to that effect already? The cap hell is created because of underperforming/injured/overpaid players. Obviously it will get sorted out because it has to. Will the fans be pleased with the outcome? I suspect there will be some pain involved in fixing it and that will be frustrating. I hate to see good assets lost simply to fix a financial issue that should have been avoided by some fiscal prudence by our GM (and yeah, I know... Beagle/Sutter/Eriksson/Myers etc. wouldn't sign if they were offered less). Hopefully Benning has some magic and can work deals out for Baertschi, Sutter and Benn or even Beagle. I think trading Eriksson costs too much (but hoping some team needs his contract to get to the floor). Hopefully there are a couple moves made in the next 7 weeks that move the team in that direction.

I can't wait for all the future threads talking about the moves that happen. One thing for sure, we will always have something to talk about! 

On 1/6/2020 at 1:33 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

you're determined to have Tanev back.... can you really tell me Nik and Rafferty are a step down from Tanev and Stecher? I like Tanev but its time to move on even if he has a little left in the tank, much like Hamhius. Tanev is having an exceptionally rare year of being injury free btw. 

Your cap calc is only a problem if we keep Tanev, which I think is very unlikely and don't agree you can prove thats a step back.

I would trade Tanev at any time now regardless of our playoff position.  

We aren't there yet and another pick is better for the team long term. Especially since he is gone anyway 

17 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I would trade Tanev at any time now regardless of our playoff position.  

We aren't there yet and another pick is better for the team long term. Especially since he is gone anyway 

We oft forget that Edler is wasting 6m capspace as well. That plug needs to go.

• Haha 1

I`d like to see this deployment, if healthy:

Virtanen - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Miller - Leivo

Roussel - Horvat - Gaudette

Ferland - Beagle - Motte

Schaller

Very solid down the middle, maybe MacEwen and Lind get a shot down the stretch? Maybe Goldobin grows up a bit and gets another chance?

Sutter and Eriksson can either be traded or waived