The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need some advice from CDC's stoners

Rate this topic

JM_

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Why $3 each? The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

I've made lots of edibles over the years, and because the THC comes from trim and unmarketable bottom buds, the active ingredients are free, you only really need to cover food cost and labour.

If these guys are actually buying quality herb to cook with, all I can do is shake my head, because that makes no goddam sense to me.

just get lucky in on this venture imo

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I've made lots of edibles over the years, and because the THC comes from trim and unmarketable bottom buds, the active ingredients are free, you only really need to cover food cost and labour.

If these guys are actually buying quality herb to cook with, all I can do is shake my head, because that makes no goddam sense to me.

ya but that's when it was illegal  so everything had no cost  ,  now you have so many hoops to jump thru because it is legal  , you have to put exactly 10 mg in a cookie  , just not throw a bunch of weed in and bake it at home  , you have  to package every cookie separately. label it. source your weed thru the government , get licensing to make and use cannabis  products  plus then you need food safe and inspections  and a commercial kitchen  so that 3 dollar cookie is now 10 bucks   lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, luckylager said:

ya but that's when it was illegal  so everything had no cost  ,  now you have so many hoops to jump thru because it is legal  , you have to put exactly 10 mg in a cookie  , just not throw a bunch of weed in and bake it at home  , you have  to package every cookie separately. label it. source your weed thru the government , get licensing to make and use cannabis  products  plus then you need food safe and inspections  and a commercial kitchen  so that 3 dollar cookie is now 10 bucks   lol

Edited by the grinder
9 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I have a funny feeling like you're about to get in over your head.

44 minutes ago, luckylager said:

$3 is very reasonable. They are trying to make a profit, not just cover costs. I've seen regular home made cookies go for 2-3 bucks at a Farmer's Market

• Cheers 1
1 minute ago, the grinder said:

over my head no  I looked in to it  and there is now way you can make any money at it   too much legal bs

As an outsider there is almost no hope of YOU making money, that much is true.

As restrictions loosen and the market opens up a bit, edibles are going to be like a gold rush. Major corporate LP

will have a definite leg up because of sheer volume, but smaller LPs will still take advantage of that market because it's a cheap way to profit from your waste.

As others have said, the dosage affects different people in different ways. Haven't had them in a few years, but the last time I did, I played some drop in puck, felt like my head was floating above the ice, couldn't feel my body, lol. The best way to figure out for yourself is to experiment. Honestly not sure about dose amounts in mg, as my dad just makes his own edibles. Makes a strong batch of butter in the crockpot (uses lots of shake/bottom bag trim), and cuts it with regular butter when he makes cookies, brownies, banana bread, etc. Puts what he doesn't use in the freezer. Doing it yourself is the cheapest way, and you can customize how much goes into each bake, and then you don't have to eat a dozen or more cookies to get the right amount. They also have limited menus at cannabis shops, so it would be well in your interest to learn how to do it yourself. Tons of helpful guides online to help with recipes. Only downfall: it is a bit stank when you're cooking the weed butter. Hope this helps, and have fun.

• Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

As restrictions loosen and the market opens up a bit, edibles are going to be like a gold rush. Major corporate LP

will have a definite leg up because of sheer volume, but smaller LPs will still take advantage of that market because it's a cheap way to profit from your waste.

sure but like I said  it isn't like throwing a bunch of weed in cookie mix  and selling it   , go look at bc cannabis and see how much one mint is  it is 6.99 for one mint 

9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

$3 is very reasonable. They are trying to make a profit, not just cover costs. I've seen regular home made cookies go for 2-3 bucks at a Farmer's Market

I better get my ass to some farmers markets. Potent cookies cost me about 40 cents to make.

The oil comes in at about 22 cents per 30mg dose

• Cheers 1
1 minute ago, the grinder said:

sure but like I said  it isn't like throwing a bunch of weed in cookie mix  and selling it   , go look at bc cannabis and see how much one mint is  it is 6.99 for one mint 

Watch your &^@#ing tone junior.

I've been cultivating, making extracts, oils, edibles and distributing the $&!# for 25 years.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Watch your &^@#ing tone junior.

I've been cultivating, making extracts, oils, edibles and distributing the $&!# for 25 years.

awesome  I know the game and played the game  so ive been there done that .  I know what you mean  about making goods ive done that as well  , this more about making legal above the board baked goods  working with in legal regulations  not the underground way  

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

awesome  I know the game and played the game  so ive been there done that .  I know what you mean  about making goods ive done that as well  , this more about making legal above the board baked goods  working with in legal regulations  not the underground way  

If you're actually interested in making a profitable business from edibles you'll need a LP as a partner. They give you the lab, trim,bottoms and distribution for a large stake; you provide the production, branding, marketing, packaging and sales reps.

If you have a legit good product with packaging and good branding, shop the product with some local LPs. You never know.

• Cheers 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

damn Island hippie, I bet you had moonshiners in your family tree too.

Thats actually really useful info tho, thanks. I think a lot of people will choose to just make their own. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's really enough of a luxury market out there, that consists  of low dosage users. My gut says it will have to be a foofie premium type thing tailored to West Van types. I can't trust the marketing guys, they will say anything. I've spent the last few work days going over the regulations and its pretty boilerplate but I don't really have a sense of the customers but I think you've raised a good point. 

the reg's limit 10mg per packaged product, so e.g., if you wanted to sell 100mg worth of cookie it would have to be in 10 separate packages. 

There is definitely a luxury market for edibles, it's huge money in the US.

Edibles are selling almost on par with buds in Oregon.

• Cheers 1
2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Perhaps a niche of gluten/ sugar free for those that have limited choices due to diet and health restrictions?

I'm sure diabetics and celiacs would appreciate a quality product with a high level of control over ingredients.