The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators fire Peter Laviolette, name John Hynes as new head coach

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Fire Green and bring in Laviolette, because we got to fire the coach in the midst of a hot streak! :lol:

Good idea there's always a coaching bump so the next game Canucks lose we fire Green ... hire Laviolette get another streak and once that is done fire him and hire another coach. If we keep doing this the cup is ours :towel:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Good idea there's always a coaching bump so the next game Canucks lose we fire Green ... hire Laviolette get another streak and once that is done fire him and hire another coach. If we keep doing this the cup is ours :towel:

I like this idea the best. Especially when the playoffs starts, we should fire a coach after each series win, and we should expect the team to go on a surge for every new coach, that will guaranteed us a Stanley Cup! :lol:

Edited by ruilin96
  • Haha 2

Kind of interesting that 4 of the last 11 coaches who won the Stanley Cup were mid-season hires.  That's a pretty high average.  I guess teams are taking note this season lol.

Bylsma 08-09

Sutter 11-12

Sullivan 15-16

Berubé 18-19

You could almost include Quenneville who was a mid-season hire the year before the Hawks 1st cup.

19 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Kind of interesting that 4 of the last 11 coaches who won the Stanley Cup were mid-season hires.  That's a pretty high average.  I guess teams are taking note this season lol.

Bylsma 08-09

Sutter 11-12

Sullivan 15-16

Berubé 18-19

You could almost include Quenneville who was a mid-season hire the year before the Hawks 1st cup.

And since 2008, 7 of the 11 cup winners have not been mid-season hires? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Duchene sure turns teams around!?

Where there's smoke...  Goes to show you that just because a player is 'good' doesn't make him good for the team.  Glad this team drafts character as well.  

Berube was a major flop his first time as a head coach. So I wouldn't write off Hynes just yet.

I think a lot of first-time NHL coaches make some mistakes in the beginning of their first job. Problem is, as long as they stay on that team with the same players, they remember those mistakes, and may second-guess the guy going forward. A fresh start on a new team can often go better for newer coaches.

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Berube was a major flop his first time as a head coach. So I wouldn't write off Hynes just yet.

I think a lot of first-time NHL coaches make some mistakes in the beginning of their first job. Problem is, as long as they stay on that team with the same players, they remember those mistakes, and may second-guess the guy going forward. A fresh start on a new team can often go better for newer coaches.

Berube had a few years to reflect and learn new stuff in the AHL as HC and NHL as an assistant.   Hynes was fired a month ago, I doubt he had time to reflect and change anything to his approach.

...but he'll inherit a better team, that's for sure.

Edited by timberz21

Just now, timberz21 said:

Weird hire, except for Hall's MVP season hasn't done much as HC, must have good connections between him and Poile, or Poile was searching for a bargain coach.

Connection through USA hockey.  Hynes was also teammate with AGM Jeff Kealty at Boston University.  Shero didn't want to fire Hynes and probably gave a good recommendation to Poile.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Berube had a few years to reflect and learn new stuff in the AHL as HC and NHL as an assistant.   Hynes was fired a month ago, I doubt he had time to reflect and change anything to his approach.

...but he'll inherit a better team, that's for sure.

It doesn't necessarily have to take that long though. You screw up in the first week, and the players remember that.

But yeah, the team is significantly better. Especially the D-core and in net.